IGNORED

Synology DSM 5 (Beta) Is Available

Great, I just bought a 1813+ but I haven't had time to in connect it. Chris, would you advise me to use the new software. I am definitely a novice in these matters. I read about this a few weeks ago; supposed to be much easier to use, maybe I answered my own question.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Great, I just bought a 1813+ but I haven't had time to in connect it. Chris, would you advise me to use the new software. I am definitely a novice in these matters. I read about this a few weeks ago; supposed to be much easier to use, maybe I answered my own question.

I've used every DSM beta release for the last several years with great success. Go for it!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Respectfully, if you have just bought a new Synology NAS, and have not yet set it up, I would not start with Beta software that was just released today. I would start with the current release, get it configured to your needs, explore the features, and then review what is in DSM 5 Beta and see if there is some feature in that release that you absolutely need right away.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

With respect; using unknown / untested software - especially Beta software - on something you consider "mission critical" even if it's just your music system is a very bad idea.

This is exactly the situation which people started with when they installed Mavericks on their Macs and found out their M2Tech USB interface based DACs stopped working.

With respect Chris I would expect more caution to be shown from someone in your position...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm only going by my experience with DSM and no other beta software.

Chris, sorry to labour the point but I would have thought (in your original post) some kind of "disclaimer" along the lines of "be aware this is beta software and while I have never had issues with Synology beta software there is no guarantees of stability" would be a good idea. While you may not expect it, some people will follow your advise quite blindly as you *are* ComputerAudiophile and therefore omniscient!

While in your situation everything works as it should ... Perhaps if someone has a particular combination of Hitachi and WD drives there could be a bug which wipes everything - that was the point of my comment that blindly recommending beta software is something that (IMO) someone "in authority" shouldn't do.

Eloise

PS. I'll shut up now...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Whats so good about Synology DSM..? Any advantages over MinimServer? Just curious. (I use QNAP's..)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Whats so good about Synology DSM..? Any advantages over MinimServer? Just curious. (I use QNAP's..)

mixing Apples and Oranges...

DSM > Synology's operating System

MinimServer > A media server that can operate in DSM (installed as a package)

Synology Media Server > The default media software from Synology

In fact I use both Media Servers...because of the shortcomings of each of them...

Synology Media Server is faster do index newly added music. MinimServer need to be restarted...

On the other hand, Synology Media Server is not being recognized at Kinsky Desktop...while MinimServer works there..

They Both work with Lumin...

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone conform that Minimserver works with DSM 5? I had no problems at all wit DSM 4; but on both my Synologies I get the fault ( with Minimserver 0.8.1) " Couldn't start package, Minim server start error, please refer to system log"

And, in DSM5, there is no system log to be found

Yes there is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10955[/ATTACH]

You are right, there is a log. But it only tells what i already knew " Minim server start error" What i really ment was: there is no informative log, which tell's you what doesn't work or what causes Minim not to work.

But back to my first question, does anyone with DSM5 has Minimserver working? And what special ( if any) did you have to do for that?

More confusing acronyms: "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, abbreviated as DSM-5, is the 2013 update to the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) classification and diagnostic tool. In the United States the DSM serves as a universal authority for psychiatric diagnosis."

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 2 weeks later...
DSM 5.0 is now out of Beta.. I upgraded yesterday and it works a treat.. It's a little cleaner looking and has some nice improvements
Yesterday was the first day on which I started to familiarise myself with the Synology NAS (713) that I bought recently. DSM 5.0 was installed automatically as being the most up to date version of the operating system, and I found it surprisingly easy to use. I never worked with a NAS, don't have much networking experience and certainly never worked in a Linux environment, but I must say that the Synology GUI is very well done.

What I found extremly helpful were video tutorials that I found on YouTube, and which explained step by step how to install and configure it. Didn't answer all questions or solved all my queries in the first run, but after only 3 hours or so it was up and running and my wife had access to photos and music on the NAS from her laptop.

As I also want to use MinimServer, has anyone tried out whether it works now with DSM 5.0?

Have you seen this thread?

Problem with synology DSM5

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am looking at the Synology 1513+ but before I purchase it, any new updates or issues with the DSM 5.0?

This will be my first NAS, primarily for audio but knowing myself will most likely use it for streaming movies, storage access, etc. Plus it will free up my 2 1tb usb ext. HDD's and use them for back ups.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thadd from Synology asked me to publish this notice here. There seems to be a significant security vulnerabilty with OpenSSL, and Synology will have a fix/update for it in DSM 5.0...should be ready tomorrow. Synology is treating this as a significant issue.

Here is the news release:

Synology® DSM 5.0 Secured Against OpenSSL Heartbleed Vulnerability

Taipei, Taiwan—April 11st, 2014—Synology® Inc. today releases the latest DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2 to resolve the vulnerability CVE-2014-0160 (also known as the Heartbleed bug) in the OpenSSL software.

As the OpenSSL is one of the largest encryption libraries on the Internet today and has been used by many websites, Synology has taken immediate actions to mitigate this issue:

* For DiskStation and RackStation running DSM 5.0 and DSM 4.3, it is strongly recommended to apply DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2 via Control Panel and renew SSL certification (read more in Security Advisory). http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/security_hotfix_dsm_5_0_4458_update_2

* For DiskStation or RackStation running DSM 4.2, patch will be delivered in one week.

* MyDS Center servers have been patched and are safe to use. However, MyDS Center users are strongly suggested to change MyDS password to ensure the safety of their personal information.

Synology values data & system security as one of its prime directive, and will continue devoting resources to equip our solutions with reliable security measures to prevent potential threats. If users need help with their systems after being upgraded to the latest DSM version or have any further questions, please contact [email protected].

Synology at a Glance

Synology is dedicated to provide professional IP-based video surveillance solution, combining the functionality of advanced NVR and NAS (network attached storage). The company aims to deliver a scalable, future proof, user-friendly NVR solutions and solid customer service to satisfy the needs of business, individual users and our partners.

Press Contact

Thadd Weil

[email protected]

Hi, I am having a couple of issues with my synology 212 using DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2.

First, the NAS recognizes my minipro external hard drive but fails to access it when I try to back up my music. I do this once a week. The minipro works on my iMac and the synology can read it to see the files on it. I ejected and reconnected it several times and rebooted the synology as well.

Second, I thought I fix the problem by making a new backup to Local Archiving Storage 1 as I thought it was going to the minipro but it didn't. The backup took 7 hours and now I don't even know where that backup is on my volume to delete it as it didn't go to its intended target - the minipro.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Make sure your minipro drive is formatted as ext3 or ext4, since Synology's backup software cannot write on HFS+ (Apple's own filesystem). I had to reformat my USB drive with ext4 to be able to use it as a backup drive (actually Synology did the formatting).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having massive issues with backup since going to DSM 5.0. Synology has been nothing short of pathetic to deal with too. I've been going back and fourth with them every four days (their response time) and get now where. Very very frustrating.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos