IGNORED

Trying to figure out a purpose for this thing...

the thing in question is the QNAP HS-210

http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=862&c=355&sc=688&t=696&n=20295

The HS-210 was created as a silent NAS solution that allows users to enjoy files and media with no distractions, providing a perfect match for home theater enthusiasts and audiophiles looking to maximize their audiovisual experience and users who wish to constantly run their systems without any background noise. Being fanless, the HS-210 has no internal moving parts for improved reliability and remains clean and dust-free even after long-term usage. The HS-210 is best used with SSDs or WD® Red™ & Seagate® NAS drives as a reliable storage solution.

Now, unless I am mistaken you can not directly connect a component to a NAS, so why would you need one that is designed to fit into your home theater rack / audio rack / next to the TV / etc... And if you did, would you also have to connect it to a router, adding one more component to your rack? Isn't the purpose if a NAS to hide a bunch of disks away in a closet, accessible on the network?

No electron left behind.

See, you are already exploring the options….they say "fanless" but it sounds like they are winning over their first fan.

If it is completely quiet, then it might be easy for you to put all your stuff in one rack and be done with it. Super clean appearance without all those messy wires plugged into walls and things.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

See, you are already exploring the options….they say "fanless" but it sounds like they are winning over their first fan.

If it is completely quiet, then it might be easy for you to put all your stuff in one rack and be done with it. Super clean appearance without all those messy wires plugged into walls and things.

I can keep an even cleaner look by using Wi-Fi in my mac mini to access the network and the NAS and eliminate the NAS and Router from my listening room. Don't you agree?

No electron left behind.

the thing in question is the QNAP HS-210

QNAP, Inc. - Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Products - Products - Storage - Home & SOHO - 2-Bay - HS-210

Now, unless I am mistaken you can not directly connect a component to a NAS, so why would you need one that is designed to fit into your home theater rack / audio rack / next to the TV / etc... And if you did, would you also have to connect it to a router, adding one more component to your rack? Isn't the purpose if a NAS to hide a bunch of disks away in a closet, accessible on the network?

Well, not everyone uses equipment the same way you do. I am considering buying this, as I want to attach a server to my ethernet network in the same room as my audio setup. So having a silent NAS to use in the room definitely interests me...essentially, yes an audio room only network.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It looks like a nice solution but I prefer to keep all non-audio (electrical) noise generating components away from my audio equipment.

Those brick type power supplies can generate quite a lot of high frequency mains pollution.

Unless you want to feed it with a 12V battery ... ;-)

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

This is far more than a simple NAS unit - it's a small PC, with its own 1.6G CPU and some RAM. It's a file server, an FTP server, a print server, and a hundred other things. It's got internal WiFi, an internet radio "receiver", and a synch utility for all your devices. The HDDs are hot-swappable, too - my NAS boxes won't do that. It runs many apps that are downloadable from the support page. Check out the spec sheet. It takes up to 16 TB out of the box and more with a firmware upgrade - not too shabby!

I wouldn't want it sitting in my living room, but for the many, many people whose entire system is on display in living space (especially those who don't use a WLAN), it makes perfect sense to me. Keep everything that needs wires together and use its WLAN to connect throughout the house.

BTW, it's under $300 (although sold without drives). That seems like a very fair price to me.

Well, not everyone uses equipment the same way you do. I am considering buying this, as I want to attach a server to my ethernet network in the same room as my audio setup. So having a silent NAS to use in the room definitely interests me...essentially, yes an audio room only network.

I am trying to get as much stuff as possible OUT of my listening room.

No electron left behind.

This is far more than a simple NAS unit - it's a small PC, with its own 1.6G CPU and some RAM. It's a file server, an FTP server, a print server, and a hundred other things. It's got internal WiFi, an internet radio "receiver", and a synch utility for all your devices. The HDDs are hot-swappable, too - my NAS boxes won't do that. It runs many apps that are downloadable from the support page. Check out the spec sheet. It takes up to 16 TB out of the box and more with a firmware upgrade - not too shabby!

I wouldn't want it sitting in my living room, but for the many, many people whose entire system is on display in living space (especially those who don't use a WLAN), it makes perfect sense to me. Keep everything that needs wires together and use its WLAN to connect throughout the house.

BTW, it's under $300 (although sold without drives). That seems like a very fair price to me.

And you need a print server in your audio room why?

No electron left behind.

And you need a print server in your audio room why?

It's hard to tell the intent behind this, so I'll offer responses in a scenario analysis and you can take your pick.

• if it's intended to be funny
    • so you can print the selfies you take showing your delight (or disappointment, or rage, or whatever you feel) at a new component, and tape them to the refrigerator
    • so you can snap, print and hand out pics of the looks on your friends' faces as they...
      • realize you just spent $500 on that little piece of wire
      • discover how much better / worse / different their systems sound from yours
      • suddenly understand why you went digital / analog / tube / solid state / ballistic (as is applicable)

[*]if it's intended to make me feel silly or dumb

• sorry, but it didn't work - I'm as impervious to insult as Ed Grimley

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7LC_u2eVX0MTiUc9DgwfJPDc5T9BMNv2vVn1wuFJIw1lAYmYx

• if it's a serious question
    • I frequently print musical scores and lyrics for tunes I'm learning whle listening to them
    • I love to read cover, sleeve and liner notes while listening to albums. So I often print them because they're lacking or rudimentary with digital files; and even if there's a text or html file with the music, it's very hard to read on the phone I usually use to control my headless music player. Right now, I have to run downstairs to the basement to print and retrieve the documents.
    • If used for photo display on the home theater setup that probably surrounds most of these in the real world, it'd be nice to be able to print pics enjoyed by your guests and give them a copy right there.
    • A wireless print server's a serendipitous feature that I (and the manufacturer, obviously) suspect many will probably like and use. It can serve (pun intended?) as a print server for computers and printers in other rooms in the house.

I have no desire or plans to buy one of these - but if my NASes died today, I might consider it.

Best regards -

David

Not sure what you are getting at here. The linked item is a NAS.

If used only with internal drives, it doesn't look like a "NAS". I agree with Cebolla that it looks distinctively un-NASlike and is probably far more visually acceptable to picky friends jealous of your good fortune, interior designers, spouses and significant others. I know which of these I'd rather try to stick in our living room.....

qnap-ts-439-pro-nas.jpg

m_1697_20131108103041_45202-500x500.png

It's hard to tell the intent behind this, so I'll offer responses in a scenario analysis and you can take your pick.

• if it's intended to be funny
    • so you can print the selfies you take showing your delight (or disappointment, or rage, or whatever you feel) at a new component, and tape them to the refrigerator
    • so you can snap, print and hand out pics of the looks on your friends' faces as they...
      • realize you just spent $500 on that little piece of wire
      • discover how much better / worse / different their systems sound from yours
      • suddenly understand why you went digital / analog / tube / solid state / ballistic (as is applicable)

[*]if it's intended to make me feel silly or dumb

• sorry, but it didn't work - I'm as impervious to insult as Ed Grimley

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7LC_u2eVX0MTiUc9DgwfJPDc5T9BMNv2vVn1wuFJIw1lAYmYx

• if it's a serious question
    • I frequently print musical scores and lyrics for tunes I'm learning whle listening to them
    • I love to read cover, sleeve and liner notes while listening to albums. So I often print them because they're lacking or rudimentary with digital files; and even if there's a text or html file with the music, it's very hard to read on the phone I usually use to control my headless music player. Right now, I have to run downstairs to the basement to print and retrieve the documents.
    • If used for photo display on the home theater setup that probably surrounds most of these in the real world, it'd be nice to be able to print pics enjoyed by your guests and give them a copy right there.
    • A wireless print server's a serendipitous feature that I (and the manufacturer, obviously) suspect many will probably like and use. It can serve (pun intended?) as a print server for computers and printers in other rooms in the house.

I have no desire or plans to buy one of these - but if my NASes died today, I might consider it.

Best regards -

David

I was trying to be half serious and half funny, I was not trying to make you feel silly or dumb. I thought that I would not be the outlier here who wants an audio environment with the least stuff in it, but it seems I am in the minority.

No electron left behind.

If used only with internal drives, it doesn't look like a "NAS". I agree with Cebolla that it looks distinctively un-NASlike and is probably far more visually acceptable to picky friends jealous of your good fortune, interior designers, spouses and significant others. I know which of these I'd rather try to stick in our living room.....

qnap-ts-439-pro-nas.jpg

m_1697_20131108103041_45202-500x500.png

reason 1 that would go in my living room: I have a studio apartment, or small 1 bedroom...

reason 2 that would go in my living room: I had a house that for some reason was impervious to Wi-Fi and had no cabling installed or was not able to have cabling installed. There is the alternate option of Network over Power Lines which Chris has tested.

No electron left behind.

I'm sure a lot will also be used in home offices too. Especially for people who's office is part of a bedroom.

Oh and if it has a built in WAP (wireless acces point) I could imagine it would work well for people who are using Linn / Naim / LUMIN / Chord streamers but can't (or don't want to) run cables. Use PC for ripping and transfer files via wireless but for playback it can be connected directly. The WAP would also allow iPad connection for control.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm sure a lot will also be used in home offices too. Especially for people who's office is part of a bedroom.

Oh and if it has a built in WAP (wireless acces point) I could imagine it would work well for people who are using Linn / Naim / LUMIN / Chord streamers but can't (or don't want to) run cables. Use PC for ripping and transfer files via wireless but for playback it can be connected directly.

How do you directly connect to a NAS if not over the network.

No electron left behind.

How do you directly connect to a NAS if not over the network.

Yes connect via network ... But a short Ethernet cable from NAS to streamer rather than long cable from streamer to switch outside the room then to NAS.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

A few more things...

1) it has an 8TB capacity with only two drive bays. Unless you know of a source for 8TB drives.

2) It runs the same software as any other QNAP NAS and is just as much a computer as any of the others, other than the internet radio "receiver" how is it any different?

3) It can be connected to Wireless via a USB adapter.

I just can't figure out why a NAS needs to be in the living and/or music room.

No electron left behind.

That is possible?

It should be possible to connect a UPnP streamer direct to the NAS with a Cat6 crossover cable.

The WiFi should then allow control signals to the streamer as well as allowing transfer of data from a ripping PC to the NAS.

It depends on the exact functionality of the NAS.

Eloise

Eloise

---

It should be possible to connect a UPnP streamer direct to the NAS with a Cat6 crossover cable.

The WiFi should then allow control signals to the streamer as well as allowing transfer of data from a ripping PC to the NAS.

It depends on the exact functionality of the NAS.

Eloise

If that is possible, it changes things a bit.

No electron left behind.

Nice thing about some of these is that since they are Wi-Fi connectable, some manufacturers have apps for one's iOS or Android devices that allows the operator see all of his music on his phone or pad and select what to play from his easy chair with it. These apps allow the music to be categorized and prioritized and even programmed into a whole evening's listening. I think they're great!

George

I just can't figure out why a NAS needs to be in the living and/or music room.

It doesn't need to be - but it can if that's the owner's desire and/or only available location. My network hardware and server farm are in the basement of our house - but when I retire and move to our 2 bedroom condo, I won't have that luxury any more. So I can understand the appeal of a good looking 16TB (or even 8 TB) NAS + music and photo file server + wireless access point + print server in a small box.

I used to have 2 floor-to-ceiling 19" built in racks. Now I have 1 rack for the system plus a shelf in the basement for 3 servers (2 web + one local) and my router and switch. And within 2 or 3 years at the most, I'll have a shelf behind my grand piano in a small (6' x 10') area just inside the front door to our apartment (unless I can live with an electronic keyboard, which has yet to be established). Once I'm fully retired, I'll run 1 web server for my consulting business and live with the limitations inherent in downsizing. It's a toss-up between wine storage and electronics - I think of it as Sophie's choice.

One does what one has to do, and the QNAP 210 is a great alternative for those with few alternatives. It would be good if you could lighten up on those to whom this is a great thing, for they are many.