IGNORED

Vintage ECM albums in 24/96 on Highresaudio.com

Available on January 24, 21€ per album, in 24/96, are 1970's and 80's recordings from the ECM label:

- Gary Burton - Seven Songs for Quartet and Chamber Orchestra

- Ralph Towner & John Abercrombie - Five Years Later

- Sam Rivers - Contrasts

- Miroslav Vitous Group

- Keith Jarrett feat. Dennis Russell Davies - Ritual

- Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) - African piano

- Keith Jarrett - Arbour Zena

http://www.highresaudio.com/label.php?caid=99&cr=ECM%20Records

Regional restrictions apply, but maybe they'll become available elsewhere too.

I'm looking forward to those, since I'm a big fan of the early ECM period. It's one reason I bought a turntable again ten years ago. The LPs (easily available in second hand stores in Germany) sound fuller, more lively and less distant than the CD versions. I hope these hi-rez transfers come close to that sound.

Claude

Interesting. Those aren't on my "buy" list, but hopefully there will be more of the catalog material in hi-res. So far, ECM seems to do a very nice job when making hi-res versions of their old tapes, so maybe you will get something like the sound you are looking for.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Interesting. Those aren't on my "buy" list, but hopefully there will be more of the catalog material in hi-res. So far, ECM seems to do a very nice job when making hi-res versions of their old tapes, so maybe you will get something like the sound you are looking for.

We are seeing these because they are being released for the 1st time on CD. But I agree it would be nice to see some additional catalog titles in high res.

I have several of these on vinyl already. I am looking forward to hearing Five Years Later in particular without some of the vinyl artifacts (pops, etc).

We are seeing these because they are being released for the 1st time on CD.

That applies to the majority of this list. But "Arbour Zena" and "African Piano" were already available on CD.

So there is hope to see other hi-rez versions of albums reissued before, although with ECM one should not expect a massive release campaign. They do things very slowly.

Claude

That applies to the majority of this list. But "Arbour Zena" and "African Piano" were already available on CD.

So there is hope to see other hi-rez versions of albums reissued before, although with ECM one should not expect a massive release campaign. They do things very slowly.

Oh ya, I missed that. But Arbour Zena and African Piano are getting re-released on CD this month too (guess they were out of print?), alongside 180g Vinyl re-issues.

Anyway, it is great to see this batch of titles coming out.

I just downloaded and listened to the Miroslav Vitous Group. I do not have comparisons. But this Album was now finally released on CD. It was one of my favourites many years ago. I had only the Vinyl version of it but did not listen several years to it. Sound quality seems to be excellent IMHO. I remember that in Vinyl it was worse. Excellent dynamics, transparency, instrument separation. I can recommend it!

Miroslav Vitous Group and Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) - African piano may be high on my list after a bit of research.

Off track, I would love to get a high-res download of Vitrous' Magical Sheperd.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.