IGNORED

Having server trouble. Wondering if I should make changes

Hi folks. I've been gone for a few years because I was quite happy with my system. But now I am having trouble with my server and I am not sure what my next step should be.

By way of background I am running a home made server with a lynx sound card connected via aes/ebu to a Berkeley dac. The first version. No USB connectivity.

I had been using media monkey to play flac files and the odd hdtracks download when I could find something that I liked. I really like the way hi Rez files sound thru my system.

So now I am having playback problems. Files are not playing and media monkey is just skipping over them.

I tried removing and reinstalling media monkey but it didn't help. My next step will be to move the music files off of the server's hard drive and then reinstall them. After a bit of reading I will also demo the jriver playback software but I will be surprised if it fixes the problem.

In my frustration, I contemplated putting together a new server. It has been a number of years and I just expect computers to die every so often. So I started nosing around the new CAPS and it seems that now everything is connected via USB. So that brought me back to earth because I really like my day and selling my version and buying the USB version would be expensive and I am unsure of the he sonic improvement.

So what would you suggest I do/research? Should I look to repair my current setup via software or is it time to make bigger changes. And if so, is there a current server design that would accommodate aes/ebu connect to my current dac?

Thanks as always!

If they were playing before and don't play now, something has changed. Assuming you have a PC server and no other symptoms, I'd start with (a) antivirus check (b) malware check © hard drive error check. After that check all internal cables, cards to make sure they are firmly seated. If you installed new software or hardware that coincides with the problem start that's always a smoking gun.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I think a reload might solve your problems, and I also think you mght reqlly like the current version of JRMC (v19 at this time).

You are certainly looking down a very good track at USB2S/PDIF convertors. There are a lot of good ones out there, and the Berkeley is one of the leaders.

Paul

A couple further thoughts:

I am apple with the exception of this one box which is windows.

I see that Berkeley has built a USB/to aes converter. It appears that I could use that box and a Mac mini and be up to date.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Files are not playing and media monkey is just skipping over them.

I tried removing and reinstalling media monkey but it didn't help. My next step will be to move the music files off of the server's hard drive and then reinstall them.

I had a similar problem some time ago with my CAPS variant system, when I had both the Windows O/S, J River MC and my FLAC files all on the same spinning disc. The fix in my case was to put Windows and JRMC on an SSD, and music files on the spinning disc, as per the original spec published here on CA. The access times for the SSD (where the music library metadata lives) are much quicker and that seemed to fix the bottleneck. The problem seemed to occur after I'd been running for several months. The music files themselves were uncorrupted and I kept them on the same disc, just moved the OS.

Well, now the computer won't boot. Getting an error message that my little brother says requires either the OS disk or professional help.

So it goes to the computer doctor in the morning.

Might need a new hard drive. I'm inclined to get it back up and running and then consider switching to a USB to AES converter solution. Either Berkeley or empirical audio.

Of course that will end up costing a bit. New server could be between 500 and 1k. USB/AES converter is another 2k. The system would be more modern. But would it sound better?

That is the $3k question.

Otherwise a new hard drive and OS install is a few hundred $ and I stick with the lynx card / crystal cable AES output direct to my Berkeley dac.

Just not sure if it is worth the money. I could audition the Berkeley USB solution before buying. So maybe I do that with an existing MacBook as a source?

Well, yes, but Mac and Windows machines sound different to me. I would try to use whatever machine, or at least the same type of machine, you plan to use for your music server to audition the Berkeley. -Paul

Well, now the computer won't boot. Getting an error message that my little brother says requires either the OS disk or professional help.

So it goes to the computer doctor in the morning.

Might need a new hard drive. I'm inclined to get it back up and running and then consider switching to a USB to AES converter solution. Either Berkeley or empirical audio.

Of course that will end up costing a bit. New server could be between 500 and 1k. USB/AES converter is another 2k. The system would be more modern. But would it sound better?

That is the $3k question.

Otherwise a new hard drive and OS install is a few hundred $ and I stick with the lynx card / crystal cable AES output direct to my Berkeley dac.

Just not sure if it is worth the money. I could audition the Berkeley USB solution before buying. So maybe I do that with an existing MacBook as a source?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thx Paul (as he hits head repeatedly on desk...) didn't occur to me that they would have signature sounds. Not sure why it didn't though as everything else does.

Still, if the USB converters aren't so sonically superior to my current PC/lynx setup as to make my MacBook (set up properly of course) sound better then it arguably wouldn't be worth the $2k cost to change over.