IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

8 minutes ago, wormcycle said:

When I set it  to Hi-fi or Master everything  I plays shows as 44.1 or 48 on my DAC. 

You do know that mp3 has a sampling frequency of 44.1. Right? So the fact that you're seeing 44.1 doesn't really mean much. It could be CD quality... or lower. But even if is CD quality, 44.1 is NOT high resolution.

When you see 48, then that's an indication that the source is higher than CD quality. But 48 is just barely high resolution. It's the bottom step on the high resolution ladder.

I do not remember Tidal advertising streaming in what you call high resolution presumably 96 and higher. And that what the post was about. 44.1 has very little to do with the file format. It is good enough sampling rate to reproduce full range of hearing frequency. Doe not matter how it is packaged.

Hi,
I recently received my Singxer xmos xu208 F-1, but when I connect it to the HAP, it automatically goes into DSD mode, even when the read content is not in DSD.
The problem is that my amplifier is not DSD compatible, and I still wanted to use it a little while using it in PCM 24 bits/192 kHz (which is quite enough with my modest installation).
Is there a way to force him into PCM?
I may change the options in the HAP settings, but I'm not successful.
Thank you

I have found people with same problems https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/new-sony-hap-z1es-firmware-out-today#1404349

I tried another DAC today, only PCM, and I have no signal coming out.

I contacted Sony support, although I don't believe it too much, I hope for a solution to get the 18033R firmware that seems to work for everyone.

Do you know if the M2TECH HiFace II always works with the latest version?

Thks

PS: For those interested, I will soon publish a tuto to remap the remote control keys (vol+ ->up, vol- ->down, mute ->enter, prev ->home, next ->back for example) Or map all keys with a remote control that has more buttons. (You will need to know how to use a soldering iron)

On 3/11/2018 at 1:36 PM, sfseay said:

@HiFiInsider - the argument for Tidal is access to higher resolution files than most other services provide, and access to millions of tracks that you wouldn't have on your local server(s).  If listening to the same music over and over appeals to you, so be it.  Many of us want access to music services and most of Tidal's HQ and MQA files sound very good.

That said, in my office system I have an Auralic Aries Mini in addition to my Sony HAP-Z1 so if I want to listen to Tidal I can.  To me it makes no sense to sell a Sony HAP-Z1 if it doesn't have Tidal since there are many cheap streaming systems that can provide access to Tidal and still let you keep your HAP.

Bingo.

So while of course I have all of my CD's ripped to the HAP and I've downloaded some Hi-res stuff, Tidal currently has the largest catalog of good to better resolution music out there.  When I want to hear new groups in particular, it would be great to have.

I doubt the fees from Sony to Tidal are the big issue, as Tidal would still charge the end user for the service.  My guess is that is has something to do between Sony Music and Tidal.

I don't want to get another streamer, ultimately if I need to to get Tidal there is a good chance I would sell my HAP Z1, and use whatever new solution is out there that I choose.  My files all got ripped to my laptop, so it's not a huge deal.  

• 1 month later...

If I'm not wrong, someone had installed a 4TB(???) to internal; configured the hard disk using third party software into 2TB each partition on PC.

Then format the two partitions within the Sony.

Does anyone remember the link? This is because I'm going to change the internal hard disk to bigger size,.

7 hours ago, peterlim8 said:

If I'm not wrong, someone had installed a 4TB(???) to internal; configured the hard disk using third party software into 2TB each partition on PC.

Then format the two partitions within the Sony.

Does anyone remember the link? This is because I'm going to change the internal hard disk to bigger size,.

2TB max internal drive only, external as big as you want

18 hours ago, likearollingstone said:

2TB max internal drive only, external as big as you want

Tks! I was just wondering were the Sony recognise more than one partitioning internally? Just like a notebook will recognise more than one partition.

Btw, For those who use sony as a transport, you may want to disconnect the audio transformer from the power unit board, the heat will be 70% to 80% lesser.

I've not got a Dac yet but I tried it when I ripped CD to the HD. Please note that there is a flat cable from HD to the analogue board, I don't know what it for, your guys have to try out.

14 hours ago, HiFiInsider said:

@peterlim8 sounds a bit extreme... does it truly improve the sound of Z1es by a wide margin to warrant the mod?

Can you post a pic or instructions on how to do this?

It's very simple, no mod required. Just disconnect the connectors. Maybe less interference because 1/2 of the internal boards are disable. I don't have a dac yet.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html 

• 2 months later...

I've had my Z1 for about 4 years, and I like it better than any Dac I have, incl Mytek 192/DSD.

Most posts here are about Library Management and File Transfer Speed.

I updated the HAP app last year, File Transfer is fine now, at least for me.

And the Internal HD has more than enough capacity for me.

What I love about the Sound is the natural flow and Timber.

If there was a Z2, that incorporated their newer Portable player features, I'd buy it in a minute!

I know some people don't use the remastering Engine, but to me, that's the Whole Thing about it, that it has that feature.

Every file from mp3 to DSD 128 sound absolutely great.

I have a Clarus Aqua Component Power Cord and Clarus Crimson ICs, made quite a diff.

And I use Mac 275/2500 combo with Kef Speakers.

I've had my HAPZ1 for over two years and am also a big fan.  I upgraded the internal 1TB hard drive to a 2TB SSD ($296.00 on Amazon) and noticed it sounds better and boots up faster.  I have a lot of DSD files so I needed the extra space.  

As far as the internal DAC goes I agree it is very good.  Since I have an Esoteric K-07X SACD player in my home office rack I connected the Sony via USB to the K-07X's USB input and the sound is better than what I get out of the Sony HAPZ1's DAC.  YMMV.

IMG_6896.JPG

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

The K-07X is hardly a $10,000.00 CD player.  I purchased it on eBay last week for $2399.00.  Also upgrading the HAPZ1's hard drive is a cave man upgrade.  If you can operate a screw driver you can upgrade the drive.  Remove old one, install new one (up to 2TB) and the Sony will find it and format it.  Once complete you still have our stock hard drive that will work perfectly if you want to reinstall it.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

I didn't install another hard drive, I installed a solid state drive.  No moving parts.  No noise or electrical interference from a constantly spinning motor.  All the Aurender streamers have SSDs that copy the music from a hard drive prior to playing.  The HDD is then put to sleep while music plays.

Ah, OK, I get it!

I tried to use a Samsung T3 HDD as external HD on the Z1, but after Formatting, my IMac wouldn't read it anymore to load Music Files.

After repairing it, the Z1wanted to format it again.

Kind Catch 22 for Audio.

What SSD did you install?

Soldering involved?

I'd like to follow-up on Installing the SSD.

I CAN work a screwdriver, at least at slow speeds...

My Samsung SSDs have Usb Micro or Mini connectors,

and they are about the size a Credit Card.

What SSD did you install, and how did you choose it, to know it would fit?

TIA!