Merko

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, christoum said:

Yes to this external. Because it's new. But to this there is.

so you are going to copy the 6TB to the new drive? 

u may want to try cloning (i have a ;laptop that i use a linux boot cd with)

check this out

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-methods-to-clone-your-linux-hard-drive/

Can I confirm that the internal HDD of the HAP-Z1ES is still limited to 2 TB, but the external HDD now allows much greater capacity, as christoum posted?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

11 minutes ago, likearollingstone said:

so you are going to copy the 6TB to the new drive? 

u may want to try cloning (i have a ;laptop that i use a linux boot cd with)

check this out

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-methods-to-clone-your-linux-hard-drive/

Well. I was done it once upon a time from 5tb to this 8tb and I am intending to do it from 8tb to 16tb. It's better to have already on the drive and let the hap scan instead of using the hap the network and the laptop. There is a bug to the player sometimes shuts down even if you are in the middle of transferring. With the scan way there is no interruption. 

23 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Can I confirm that the internal HDD of the HAP-Z1ES is still limited to 2 TB, but the external HDD now allows much greater capacity, as christoum posted?

I never try to change internal HDD because there is no limitation to the external. But I think the limit still remains in 2tb HDD. I never read anything different except some guy with HDD utilities and a trick it managed to use 3-4 TB drive. It can recognise bigger capacity but as formatting the hap it's only 2tb. 

I can post how it's going to be real....

With Seagate 4 TB 2,5" HDD. First remove old and connect temp new 4TB HDD.
Then reset HAP-Z1. Sony format HDD with MBR like 2TB and you see 1,7 TB free. Second remove new 4TB HDD from Sony and connect to PC with Windows. Use internal s-ata or USB case. Then with software Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite convert 4TB to GPT disc. Sony make two HDD volume. One 3GB for maser.db and second for storage (1,7TB) You must add rest of your 4TB HDD to second volume. On second volume right mouse button to Move/Resize volume and then pull right till maximum. So you make second volume from 1,7TB to 3,6TB. Free space before and after must set to 0. Then Yes button and APPLY top button. Wait ca.30 min. Your new HDD is ready. Connect to Sony again this is all. With Paragon_ExtFS_for_Windows_2.1.440 you can read and write music direct to Sony Linux HDD Ext4 on your Windows PC. After then rescan HDD in Sony.

1 hour ago, boomklever said:

I always believed that the file count is the limit, not the disc size. Has this changed? I always ran in trouble with more than 30.000 songs, so I try to keep at 20.000 max.

That would definitely be a deal breaker for me, since I have more than 100,000 tracks in my collection. Can someone please confirm?

Another forum

Thank you Richard Zane and christoum for answering my question on size of external HD. After I complained to Sony email support, they gave me a link to US Sony ES customer support:

https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/dsweb/p/builtin/contact_support.html

no email but 2 phone numbers one for installation help (866) 924-7669 and the other for customer service (877) 619-7669.

A very helpful person answered the phone right away (no long voice menu system Yay). He explained that he has tested a single 4TB hd with no issues. He said that there is no reason why a larger drive would not work but he just has not tried it yet. He also mentioned that the 20,000 song limit applies to the number of files you can transfer at once and that he has over 30,000 songs on his HAP-Z1 ES. 

Just thought I'd relay this information. Would love to hear how others are doing with their external drives and libraries and I will report back when I have finished loading up my friend's unit.

From what I remember, the limitation of internal HDD size was due to the ext3 file system, coupled with using an MBR partition table. External drives are formatted in ext4, which removes that limit.

I did also recall that some folks had problems with playlists...

Just now, likearollingstone said:

i am over 50K songs

don't think there's a limit to the number of items

That's great to know! I didn't think that it would be so, since it would not make sense to me.

The main gripe with the large libraries, would be the difficulty in locating the song you want to play. This would be fine if their app is well designed (UI and all).

The search function is fast and comprehensive. Easy to find individual tracks

Main System
Mark Levinson 585 Integrated Amplifier, PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, Auralic Altair Music Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra 1 Speakers, Definitive Technology PF15TL Subwoofer, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, Morrow Audio XLR Interconnects, PS Audio Statement Power Cords

Office System
Edge i3 Integrated Amplifier, Job 225 Amplifier, Sony HAPZ1ES Digital Audio Player, Auralic Aires Mini Music Streamer w/ 1TB SSD, Auralic Vega DAC, McIntosh MR7803 Tuner, KEF LS50 Speakers, Audioquest, CV-8 Speaker Cables

46 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

That's great to know! I didn't think that it would be so, since it would not make sense to me.

The main gripe with the large libraries, would be the difficulty in locating the song you want to play. This would be fine if their app is well designed (UI and all).

you definitely need the android or iapp

i have also used them to tweak the tagging, although it's best to have all that done b4 u transfer

1 minute ago, likearollingstone said:

you definitely need the android or iapp

Quite obviously! I cannot imagine song selection with the Android or iOS apps!

i am over 50K songs

don't think there's a limit to the number of items

I just checked the official Sony website, it now reports (cut&paste):

With a huge 1 TB built-in hard drive, have all your music in one place and store up to 250,000 music files

That would suit most people's need I guess ;-)

Btw, I LOVE this player!! I tried several network solutions and they all lack ease of use when going thorugh my music library. I am even thinking of buying a second one as backup, just in case.

Btw2: I tagged all my music according the folder structure (e.g. \Acoustic Guitar, \SingerSongWriter etc -> Genre="Acoustic Guitar" etc). Great way to go through my music in an easy and fast way)

2 hours ago, boomklever said:

I just checked the official Sony website, it now reports (cut&paste):

With a huge 1 TB built-in hard drive, have all your music in one place and store up to 250,000 music files

That would suit most people's need I guess ;-)

250 k is pretty good, yes. ;)

Does anyone know a good Mac app to edit meta data on .WAV files? If the app does artwork as well then it's a bonus. The Z1ES stores all the edits in its internal memory so the files are still messed up when moved to another device such as Sony Walkman. I want to fix the actual files. Thanks in advanced!

Does anyone know a good Mac app to edit meta data on .WAV files? If the app does artwork as well then it's a bonus. The Z1ES stores all the edits in its internal memory so the files are still messed up when moved to another device such as Sony Walkman. I want to fix the actual files

I use MP3TAG which is a Windows product. Since this is my favorite tag editor (simple in use AND very very powerfull) I checked if there is a Mac version too. There isn't, but the author claims you can run it with some additional help. Check their website for more info...

When I search the App Store there is no app called "metadatics"

Main System
Mark Levinson 585 Integrated Amplifier, PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, Auralic Altair Music Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra 1 Speakers, Definitive Technology PF15TL Subwoofer, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, Morrow Audio XLR Interconnects, PS Audio Statement Power Cords

Office System
Edge i3 Integrated Amplifier, Job 225 Amplifier, Sony HAPZ1ES Digital Audio Player, Auralic Aires Mini Music Streamer w/ 1TB SSD, Auralic Vega DAC, McIntosh MR7803 Tuner, KEF LS50 Speakers, Audioquest, CV-8 Speaker Cables