IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Anyone try running a Schiit Yggdrasil dac through the Hap usb output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it would work fine and sound great!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - for those of you who use the HAP via a USB to a DAC there was a software update from Sony yesterday:

IMPORTANT: This update is available only by performing a Network Upgrade.

This firmware upgrade (version 18120R) provides the following improvements over version 18033R:

• Improves playback quality for the USB digital output function. (download noted this is focused on 32bit DACS)
  • Improves Network connections with HDD Audio Remote and HAP Music Transfer applications.
  • Improves communication security.

IMPORTANT: To use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet you must update the app software using the Google Play™ online store for Android™ devices, or the iTunes® App Store for iOS devices.

My first post here.

Have been on Z1es for over a year now and currently on version 17384R. For now, have no intention of using an external DAC. So am concerned that the new relatively major feature additions might affect the stability and the SQ for the worse.

Anyone upgraded to 18033R or the latest one while still using the in-built analog outputs(RCA) can comment?

Cheers

My first post here.

Have been on Z1es for over a year now and currently on version 17384R. For now, have no intention of using an external DAC. So am concerned that the new relatively major feature additions might affect the stability and the SQ for the worse.

Anyone upgraded to 18033R or the latest one while still using the in-built analog outputs(RCA) can comment?

Cheers

I've done all the updates and notice no difference in SQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the HAP set up to the external DAC Oppo Sonica. As I noted earlier setup is easy. Because the Sonica has the new ESS Saber pro there is considerable improvement from the older HAP DAC chip -- at least to my ears. Since the HAP has only one USB output -- Sony updated software lets you connect via USB port a CD player (so you can download from a CD) - an external drive and the link to the DAC - the only issue I have is that for some reason the HAP does not recognize the external drive at start-up and I get -- do you want to connect this drive popup? each time. For some reason this does not happen in the downloading of new music files to the HAP through the Ethernet connection I have to it -- and the files go without problem to the external drive.

I have the HAP set up to the external DAC Oppo Sonica. As I noted earlier setup is easy. Because the Sonica has the new ESS Saber pro there is considerable improvement from the older HAP DAC chip -- at least to my ears. Since the HAP has only one USB output -- Sony updated software lets you connect via USB port a CD player (so you can download from a CD) - an external drive and the link to the DAC - the only issue I have is that for some reason the HAP does not recognize the external drive at start-up and I get -- do you want to connect this drive popup? each time. For some reason this does not happen in the downloading of new music files to the HAP through the Ethernet connection I have to it -- and the files go without problem to the external drive.

I was experiencing the same issue. Just connect the external hard drive directly to the HAP and let hap boot up and wait. Logically no message will appear. Then shut it down and connect again the usb hub with the cd drive the hdd and the usb to dac. I think your problem will be solved. Don't forget to connect the power supply to the usb hub and to the cd drive.

A friend of mine experienced the problem of being prompted to connect the external drive each time he powered up the Sony when using a hub to connect the external drive and USB DAC. He was using a powered USB hub and found that the problem disappeared once he disconnected the USB hub from it's power supply (in other words using it passively.) Hope this helps!

Can others also share experiences between the internal dac and external dacs through USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my HAP connected via USB to an Auralic Vega DAC. It sounds very good, but I still haven't done an A/B test due to travel. Will report back when I do some testing

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

Thanks christoum and audio.bill - the issue is indeed the connection and the USB hub -- I was using a powered one but with power not connected -- apparently this is not enough -- when I replaced it with a true passive one there are no issues and no popups. One question for all is why Sony continues to add features and updates to the HAP - which was first issued in 2013 - I know that there are continued advs on it from high end dealers etc - so presume they want to encourage more sales - but it would appear that their aim should be for a new model due to tech progress.

A friend of mine experienced the problem of being prompted to connect the external drive each time he powered up the Sony when using a hub to connect the external drive and USB DAC. He was using a powered USB hub and found that the problem disappeared once he disconnected the USB hub from it's power supply (in other words using it passively.) Hope this helps!
Thanks christoum and audio.bill - the issue is indeed the connection and the USB hub -- I was using a powered one but with power not connected -- apparently this is not enough -- when I replaced it with a true passive one there are no issues and no popups. One question for all is why Sony continues to add features and updates to the HAP - which was first issued in 2013 - I know that there are continued advs on it from high end dealers etc - so presume they want to encourage more sales - but it would appear that their aim should be for a new model due to tech progress.

As far as a media player it supports all the current formats. The app is well done and the dacs are nice. I'm glad their supporting it with updates. One nice feature is the ability to use it as a Dlna server to access files from other devices. Nice for those who do not have a nas/media server. I'd love to see some form of multi room architecture as well.

I'm sure a next gen product could add some additional features but looking at the design vs price, it's pretty well featured as it is. I think many would like to see tidal and a few more streaming options but with all the devices on the market and built into our other devices many of them become redundant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Does anyone here know if the Sony HAP Z1ES can output to balanced and unbalanced outputs simultaneously?  I was wondering if they both could be used to facilitate a multi-room output using AudioEngine W3 wireless audio adapters/receivers direct out of the Sony vs. via tape loop on a tube vintage receiver. 

I wanted to know if both outputs are available simultaneously and if it is safe to use them this way.  I don't own the unit but help a friend maintain his music server and thought I'd check in here first.

My friend has ALS and has limited mobility and use of his hands. If we could utilize 2 outputs on the Sony HAP Z1 simultaneously,  -- one to his receiver and one to the AudioEngine W3 wireless audio adapter - then this could make it easier for him to use because it would eliminate the step of operating a source tape/monitor switch on his vintage tube receiver.  I wanted to ask here since I am only over at his place once a week and wanted to see if others have tried to use both outputs simultaneously and if this is safe to do.

Any help on this specific point will be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2014 at 6:55 AM, k6davis said:

Surprisingly, you can't. It is not a DAC in that sense. It's more like a premium sound, fixed location iPod.

You have to either copy your files to its internal hard drive or connect an external hard drive to it to play music. Either way, you have to (get to?) use Sony's interface to listen to and manage your music.

Well Dennis the easiest way is to transfer the files through a computer. Let the hap format the new HDD and then plug the old and new HDD both to pc and use a utility ext2fsd for Windows to help windows read the ext4 formatted hdds from hap. Use pc with usb3 for faster transfer. And then plug the new HDD to the hap again and let the player when ask you to scan the drive. This going to get some time but less time instead of transferring from pc to the player. I hope that would help you. Please forgive me i don't know anything for Mac. If something it's not understood please free to ask. 

My best regards from Greece..... 

1 hour ago, christoum said:

and let the player when ask you to scan the drive. This going to get some time but less time instead of  

this is the problem...when you add the trouble to use linux plus the rescan...it is really about the same time as if you just copied using the hap util over the network..but by all means try it to find out 

the idea is to transfer when u have the time (like before u go to bed)

8 hours ago, christoum said:

If you ever wonder there is no limit on this player..... New hdd external 16tb and everything working like a charm..... 

did you find a proper hub to include the cd reader? i find if i use the external drive, nothing else can be used, have about 2 different hubs and none of them recognize the external HD and a cd reader at the same time..i also like to use the usb dac for headphone, which work as long as nothing else is on the port

34 minutes ago, dennis336 said:

Hub is - Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub - I tried more expensive but this works fine - with the CD add also and to output to a DAC

gonna try one!!

is it the older one that's light colored or the newer one (the older one on amazon is like $50 and the newer one only $24

the is the older one

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-Ultra-Mini/dp/B000Q8UAWY/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500584732&sr=1-17&keywords=4-Port+Ultra+Mini+Hub+USB+2.0

thanks