Merko

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Rate this topic

I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further.

Excellent work, thank you!

I just finished a tutorial with lots of pics on how to upgrade the internal hard drive. Just Google "Sony HAP-Z1es hard drive upgrade". Hope it'll help someone here to enjoy this great server further.

Great job!

Though I've experienced in PC hardware, and the tutorial is still very handy for me!

Chistoum, when did you install it? Did you previously fill up the internal drive before adding the 5TB? Is the 33K a combination of the Internal and External drive? How long ago did you install the 5TB drive and how long have you been running the 33K files? PLEASE keep us informed.

I installed the 5tb hdd with the pevious firmware version and let the player reformat the drive. All the music that i have loaded was through the player. I know it's a painful situation but that was the way to have now 35+ thousands tracks on the player without problem. The drive that i use is the Toshiba canvio 5tb. It's a little bit noisy only when you load the music not on playing. The 35+ thousands of tracks is only on external hard drive. I never used the internal hard drive. I don't want to go to the Sony service to change the internal hard drive because of a fault. It's a simple spinning hard drive and that is a common problem.

I installed the 5tb hdd with the pevious firmware version and let the player reformat the drive. All the music that i have loaded was through the player. I know it's a painful situation but that was the way to have now 35+ thousands tracks on the player without problem. The drive that i use is the Toshiba canvio 5tb. It's a little bit noisy only when you load the music not on playing. The 35+ thousands of tracks is only on external hard drive. I never used the internal hard drive. I don't want to go to the Sony service to change the internal hard drive because of a fault. It's a simple spinning hard drive and that is a common problem.

Good to know you can go at least up to 5TB on the back. (y)

Changing the internal drive is easy as you can see in my tutorial. My biggest concern are the transport buttons on the front panel. There is no other way to control the unit if and when these buttons fail, especially the ENTER button. I encourage everyone to write Sony or give the HDD Audio app a negative review in iTunes or Google Play Store and point this out in your review. Maybe that will get their attention...

Does anyone know what exactly the unit does when you IMPORT CD using the Slow operation? Is SLOW audibly better than FAST? I have brand new CDs that would have errors when using Slow, but it sorts itself out after a few tries.

<SNIP>

My biggest concern are the transport buttons on the front panel. There is no other way to control the unit if and when these buttons fail, especially the ENTER button. I encourage everyone to write Sony or give the HDD Audio app a negative review in iTunes or Google Play Store and point this out in your review. Maybe that will get their attention...

<SNIP>

Why not the remote? I use it a lot and have also memorized its functions on other learning remotes I have around. Honestly, I don't have my HAPZ connected to a network and don't use the app at all... and don't miss it.

I agree on the need to get their attention, at the very least faster transfer of files would be nice, I have a list of other things I'd like, but I don't see the front panel buttons to be a high priority. Am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

2 systems including...

AC: Audio gear on DIY AC filters/PSAud P10/P300; misc gear on separate AC w/DIY AC filters

Analog: Well-Tempered Refs or U-Turn Orbit Plus->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Stand-alone Digital: Sony HAP Z1-ES, Oppo 870, Panasonic S47, SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked Digital: Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> switch + WiFi router as access point -> FMCs -> R-Pi/Allo Kali/Soekris DAM DAC, R-Pi/Allo Kali/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, or R-Pi/Allo Kali/Mamboberry

Volume Control: SE Passive shunt, S&B TX102 TVC, K&K Balanced shunt, DIYHiFi AVC

Amps: dual mono'd Hypex NC400, EVS 500M B&0 IcePower, FirstOne

Speakers: Eminent Tech LFT-VIII, LFT-IV, or Gallo Ref 3A

Tuning: Various stands/vibration control, noise filters on digital power and Ethernet cables, audio cables MIT reg or Shotgun, ALL gear modified or DIY'd, MOST supplies linear or LPS-1s (DVD players & amps have SMPSs)

Everything Matters!

Here's the my 18 month experience with the HAP-Z1ES. The first thing I noticed is the IRR is incompatible with most audio equipment. That was not a big deal. After 18 months of using it only a few hours a month, I noticed that both my mini iPad 2 and my iPhone 6 had problems connecting the HDD Audio Software. It required turning the unit on and off several times and then rescanning. And occasionally it popped into my OS devices. It was not an Apple problem. So here we are on February 20, 2016 and after turning it on today I notice the left channel was gone. I switched to my Ayre Universal CD player and both channels worked, so I knew for sure it was the HAP-Z1ES. I also checked the connections and then called ABT Electronics where I bought it and left a message with their customer audio service dept. There's one more thing all of you should know since I've seen a lot of discussion on the hard drive and some of you are replacing crashed drives with Seagate mechanical drives that are cheap, but have a high failure rate. I hope all your music is backed up, because the drive on the HAPZ1ES will fail at some point. If you are looking for a more reliable solution in an SSD, look at the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB with 5 Yr warranty or 850 EVO Pro 1TB with 10 year warranty. Both are lightening fast and use 3D VNAND chips. Youtube has video reviews.

Here's the my 18 month experience with the HAP-Z1ES. The first thing I noticed is the IRR is incompatible with most audio equipment. That was not a big deal. After 18 months of using it only a few hours a month, I noticed that both my mini iPad 2 and my iPhone 6 had problems connecting the HDD Audio Software. It required turning the unit on and off several times and then rescanning. And occasionally it popped into my OS devices. It was not an Apple problem. So here we are on February 20, 2016 and after turning it on today I notice the left channel was gone. I switched to my Ayre Universal CD player and both channels worked, so I knew for sure it was the HAP-Z1ES. I also checked the connections and then called ABT Electronics where I bought it and left a message with their customer audio service dept. There's one more thing all of you should know since I've seen a lot of discussion on the hard drive and some of you are replacing crashed drives with Seagate mechanical drives that are cheap, but have a high failure rate. I hope all your music is backed up, because the drive on the HAPZ1ES will fail at some point. If you are looking for a more reliable solution in an SSD, look at the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB with 5 Yr warranty or 850 EVO Pro 1TB with 10 year warranty. Both are lightening fast and use 3D VNAND chips. Youtube has video reviews.

I find myself lucky that I have experienced none of the issues you mention. Every once in a while the app will take a few seconds to connect. I think it may have something to do with the network more than the unit - not sure though. I don't understand the comment about backing up your music, the way this unit works is that it takes music from your library and syncs to its internal drive, your original library remains untouched. If you lost everything you would just resynch off the original data source. It might take a while but you don't lose anything as far as I can tell. I hope your problems get sorted out though - it sucks to have a $2000 piece of gear with issues.

By the way is the comment on "irr" the infrared. If yes the blasters on my harmony control it perfectly every time. I just hit my "HD Music" macro on the harmony and away it goes, pre-amp kicks on, unit powers up ready to play. Thanks for the tip on the drive. I wonder if there is any SQ difference or real difference in access speed with an SSD drives. This is one think I have been thinking about doing just for the sake of the mod.

Edited by danghony

I have my 330+ CDs backed up on a separate 1 TB hd sitting in my desk drawer. All CDs were originally transferred to the HAP-Z1ES and I never want to do it again.

Repair of the box will cost several hundred dollars. Once it's repaired, if the iOS devices are still not connecting quickly, I will sell this box and buy something reliable. The music on the HAP-Z1ES cannot be transferred a different box.

The IRR is the infrared which doesn't work with my amp. That's a downside if this unit.

You have to use your remote on your amp.

I have my 330+ CDs backed up on a separate 1 TB hd sitting in my desk drawer. All CDs were originally transferred to the HAP-Z1ES and I never want to do it again.

Repair of the box will cost several hundred dollars. Once it's repaired, if the iOS devices are still not connecting quickly, I will sell this box and buy something reliable. The music on the HAP-Z1ES cannot be transferred a different box.

The IRR is the infrared which doesn't work with my amp. That's a downside if this unit.

You have to use your remote on your amp.

OK - so your not concerned about losing anything, just the time it takes to redo it all.

Let us know what they find out about the problem you had. Curious to know if others have experienced channel failures as well.

Do you mean that you can't control your amp from this unit? I understand that this units volume control is only compatible with the matching Sony TA integrated amp.

I've had this unit about a year, hoping it lasts because I'm really enjoying it.

Why not the remote? I use it a lot and have also memorized its functions on other learning remotes I have around. Honestly, I don't have my HAPZ connected to a network and don't use the app at all... and don't miss it.

I agree on the need to get their attention, at the very least faster transfer of files would be nice, I have a list of other things I'd like, but I don't see the front panel buttons to be a high priority. Am I missing something?

Greg in Mississippi

The slim remote for HAP-Z1ES does not have transport buttons.

1378313199000-Sony-HAP-Z1ES-1TB-Hi-Res-Music-Player.jpg

Can't control volume in HDD REMOTE APP.

The volume control only works with the matching Sony TA-A1es integrated amplifier.

Story continued:

So Abt Electronics picked up the unit and checked it out in their store. While in my condo they discovered a cable was attached to the wrong connector taking out the left channel. That was a surprise, because someone else would have to have done it since I had friends over two weeks before and the left channel was fine. So that left the wifi connectivity and while the tech couldn't connect his Samsung phone in my condo, the store had no connectivity problems. Since the IRR only works for Sony gear, if the connection problems remain, I will test another product to see if the software (HDD Remote) connection problems are Sony only and if so, I will sell the unit and buy something else. The software is critical to using a streaming box.

Story continued:

So Abt Electronics picked up the unit and checked it out in their store. While in my condo they discovered a cable was attached to the wrong connector taking out the left channel. That was a surprise, because someone else would have to have done it since I had friends over two weeks before and the left channel was fine. So that left the wifi connectivity and while the tech couldn't connect his Samsung phone in my condo, the store had no connectivity problems. Since the IRR only works for Sony gear, if the connection problems remain, I will test another product to see if the software (HDD Remote) connection problems are Sony only and if so, I will sell the unit and buy something else. The software is critical to using a streaming box.

Are you saying that the tech did it.? Is it working now?

Hi. Just started the cd ripping process. And I wont know if 1TB is enough for my library until I finished ripping over 2K cds.

I have read a few post that replacing the z1es hdd with 2TB hdd is a non issue Sony HAP-Z1ES Hard Drive Upgrade

But the one question I really like to know is what happens if the 2tb hdd track count is above the sony recommended 20,000 tracks limits?

My rough estimates is that I would have around 25-30k tracks (all flac). Because no points of having a larger hdd if z1es could not handle more than 20000 tracks.

Really appreciated if someone owned z1es with over 20000 tracks can answer the usability/stability of the sony HDD remote app that controls the z1es unit.

thankyou in advance.

Hi. Just started the cd ripping process. And I wont know if 1TB is enough for my library until I finished ripping over 2K cds.

I have read a few post that replacing the z1es hdd with 2TB hdd is a non issue Sony HAP-Z1ES Hard Drive Upgrade

But the one question I really like to know is what happens if the 2tb hdd track count is above the sony recommended 20,000 tracks limits?

My rough estimates is that I would have around 25-30k tracks (all flac). Because no points of having a larger hdd if z1es could not handle more than 20000 tracks.

Really appreciated if someone owned z1es with over 20000 tracks can answer the usability/stability of the sony HDD remote app that controls the z1es unit.

thankyou in advance.

read somewhere (in this post?) that the sony tech said 20000 tracks limit was referring to per files (music) transfer.

The slim remote for HAP-Z1ES does not have transport buttons.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24346[/ATTACH]

The volume control only works with the matching Sony TA-A1es integrated amplifier.

Sorry, I missed your response.

No, the remote is not really a substitute for the front-panel buttons, you need those to do any configuration and the buttons or the jog-dial for advanced movement... or the app.

But to control the playback of music (what I assumed you meant by 'transport' buttons), they will work in a pinch. The remote's skip-forward/backward buttons move from the current selection to the previous or next. If you hold them down, they will fast-forward-reverse in a selection. Play/pause of course just does that. For 75% of my control of the HAPZ, these suffice.

But you can't go to another folder or access other modes or advanced configuration settings without the buttons or app.

Worse is using the skip buttons to select a song or recording a long ways away in your catalog... only the jog dial does that well (of the physical buttons).

Greg in Mississippi

2 systems including...

AC: Audio gear on DIY AC filters/PSAud P10/P300; misc gear on separate AC w/DIY AC filters

Analog: Well-Tempered Refs or U-Turn Orbit Plus->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Stand-alone Digital: Sony HAP Z1-ES, Oppo 870, Panasonic S47, SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked Digital: Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> switch + WiFi router as access point -> FMCs -> R-Pi/Allo Kali/Soekris DAM DAC, R-Pi/Allo Kali/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, or R-Pi/Allo Kali/Mamboberry

Volume Control: SE Passive shunt, S&B TX102 TVC, K&K Balanced shunt, DIYHiFi AVC

Amps: dual mono'd Hypex NC400, EVS 500M B&0 IcePower, FirstOne

Speakers: Eminent Tech LFT-VIII, LFT-IV, or Gallo Ref 3A

Tuning: Various stands/vibration control, noise filters on digital power and Ethernet cables, audio cables MIT reg or Shotgun, ALL gear modified or DIY'd, MOST supplies linear or LPS-1s (DVD players & amps have SMPSs)

Everything Matters!

I have now 38+ thousands of tracks all hires and cd quality and the device runs very good with no problems at all.

HAP_Z1.jpg

With Seagate 4 TB 2,5" HDD. First remove old and connect temp new 4TB HDD.

Then reset HAP-Z1. Sony format HDD with MBR like 2TB and you see 1,7 TB free. Second remove new 4TB HDD from Sony and connect to PC with Windows. Use internal s-ata or USB case. Then with software Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite convert 4TB to GPT disc. Sony make two HDD volume. One 3GB for maser.db and second for storage (1,7TB) You must add rest of your 4TB HDD to second volume. On second volume right mouse button to Move/Resize volume and then pull right till maximum. So you make second volume from 1,7TB to 3,6TB. Free space before and after must set to 0. Then Yes button and APPLY top button. Wait ca.30 min. Your new HDD is ready. Connect to Sony again this is all. With Paragon_ExtFS_for_Windows_2.1.440 you can read and write music direct to Sony Linux HDD Ext4 on your Windows PC. After then rescan HDD in Sony.

I have also connect another external USB HDD 4 TB Seagate. Work great.

Edited by ognianfotev