IGNORED

Need OSX Help - MBAir doesn't *see* USB Dac

I just bought my wife a Macbook Air 11" that will serve her work/limited travel and our living room audio system. Unfortunately, this Macbook Air does not recognize that the DAC is hooked up via USB in either Settings-Sound or Audio-Midi. My ~2010 MBP recognizes the PS Audio Digital LinkIII DAC via USB fine in both Settings-Sound and in Audio Midi Setup just fine. Any ideas why this is the case?

Thanks!

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

I have similar problem with Mac Mini 2011 and MSB Platinum DAC, i solve that with "Y" USB cable,but you could try diferent USB cables, some of the new macs have problem with power delivery on USB ports especially if you had connected USB hard disc and USB DAC at the same time.

I have similar problem with Mac Mini 2011 and MSB Platinum DAC, i solve that with "Y" USB cable,but you could try diferent USB cables, some of the new macs have problem with power delivery on USB ports especially if you had connected USB hard disc and USB DAC at the same time.

Thank you, Aryoh! That's something I hadn't considered. Would it matter if I was using battery power from the MBAir at the time or not? I was on battery power for tests, but didn't have anything else hooked up to the USB on the MBAir.

So you are saying that by using the two USB slots (unfortunately one on each side of the chassis) and a "Y" USB cable, the MBAir would have better "power delivery"?

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Sorry i realy dont know, my first setup with Berkeley Alpha DAC & Alpha USB with same mac mini worked flawlessly, and then with MSB there was problems from the start. MSB and mac mini 2010 did not have problems at all, you simply must try. The Mac Mini (2010) 4 USB ports share a different USB bus. Also the Mac's IR receiver and Bluetooth Hub use a USB BUS which is also shared with attached USB devices. I think that because small size of the Macbook Air Apple made some compromises, and that affect some DACs (lots of people complain about problems with external USB sound cards and new generation of Mac computers). The easiest way is to try with "Y" cable, if that help... :)

Sorry i realy dont know, my first setup with Berkeley Alpha DAC & Alpha USB with same mac mini worked flawlessly, and then with MSB there was problems from the start. MSB and mac mini 2010 did not have problems at all, you simply must try. The Mac Mini (2010) 4 USB ports share a different USB bus. Also the Mac's IR receiver and Bluetooth Hub use a USB BUS which is also shared with attached USB devices. I think that because small size of the Macbook Air Apple made some compromises, and that affect some DACs (lots of people complain about problems with external USB sound cards and new generation of Mac computers). The easiest way is to try with "Y" cable, if that help... :)

Thanks again, Aryoh. After working with Apple on it, I think it has something to do with USB3.0 on the Air. In the PSAudio manual, it says that drivers are not needed, *BUT* it also says that upon first hookup via USB, the drivers will automatically load and your computer will then be able to send audio to your DAC.

The Air isn't recognizing that it is hooked up. It does recognize when I hook up a USB external DVD burner, functions perfectly for reading or burning disks, so I suspect it isn't underpowered?