IGNORED

New Tord Gustavsen album out: Extended Circle (24/96)

Guess I need to get my credit card out again soon:

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=155908

format87391.jpg

Just waiting a couple of days to see at what price Qobuz will get it.

Unfortunately, the other Tord Gustavsen studio masters were pretty much at the same price, €20 (compared to Highresaudios 21€).

Not sure, but first listening was boring...

Did you buy it? So far I'm relying on the samples, and was getting a somehow similar feeling. Already "the Well" had some boring elements compared to his prior trio recordings which I really love, and I'm afraid this is going in the wrong direction for me.

Initially I thought Tore Brunberg could be Jan Garbarek in better, now I'm thinking he may just be like Garbarek (yes, I really don't like 90% of Garbarek's stuff)

Did you buy it? So far I'm relying on the samples, and was getting a somehow similar feeling. Already "the Well" had some boring elements compared to his prior trio recordings which I really love, and I'm afraid this is going in the wrong direction for me.

Initially I thought Tore Brunberg could be Jan Garbarek in better, now I'm thinking he may just be like Garbarek (yes, I really don't like 90% of Garbarek's stuff)

Well, in my case when I saw the advert form ECM I thought, I am gonna buy it. I listened only to samples, but to me those seems to be boring. I agree in 100%, that the prior to Restored, Returned albums where much, much better in trio form. The Well is not bad IMHO, but second kind of The Well, that's enough for me. Just few cents.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It is always a matter of taste. I like the music of Tord Gustavsen from the beginning, and I loved his way to play in the band of the early Silje Nergaard. I have heard him several times live and the concerts have been outstanding regarding music and sound quality.

For me Extended Circle is his best one, The High of his career. SQ is excellent too.

Keep Swinging

simplon

Digital Sources: MacBook 8GB / 512GB internal SSD, iTunes 12.0.1.26, OS X 10.10 El Capitan, Amarra Symphony iRC 3.0.3 and Pure Music 2.0, Weiss DAC 202 Firewire, Creek Destiny CD,

Analog Sources: Transrotor FatBob Turntable with SME M2-9 tonearm and Benz ACE-L MC cartridge

Preamplification: McIntosh C500T Tube preamplifier; Clearaudio Balance+ Phono preamplifier (balanced);

Power amplifier: McIntosh MC452 Stereo

Loudspeaker: B&W 802 Diamond

Cables:

AC: Audioplan power conditioning and 5x Audioplan Power Cable, 1 Shunyayta power cable, 1 Audio Pro power cable

Kimber KS 1130 XLR between Phonostage and pre-amplifier, Speakercable Kimber 3033 incl. Kimber BiFocal Bi-wiring- adapter, Audiopro Advanced Listening 3 XLR, 1 digital SPDIF cable CD to DAC, Firewire MacBook to DAC Kubala-Sosna,

Accessories: room treated with accoustic elements from r-t-f-s, Hannl Mera Vinyl Record Cleaner; 5x bFly Audioabsorber, Creative equipment rack

Thanks for the info. If even the samples are boring, I am going to give this one a pass.

I did some more listening, and am still torn. Some of the songs are quite nice (e.g. the Gift and Staying There), some others don't really touch me. I suppose I may wait till a special offer comes along.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to be available on HDTracks this week!

Five (or so) in heavy rotation:

Van Halen - Studio Albums 1978-1984 (24/192) | The Eagles - Hotel California (24/192) | Robbie Robertson - S/T (MFSL) | Tord Gustavsen - The Well (24/96) | The Beatles - Rubber Soul (24-Bit)