IGNORED

Audirvana 1.5.12

Musicophile

phatoldsun the problems you've described seem rather unique, i.e. I've not seen it mentioned before. For SQ purposes I don't use iTunes integration, just curious if you've tried running A+ in standalone mode. I run my 2011 mini headless as well using either Jump Desktop for iPad or iPhone control or screen sharing from another from another Mac and never had the problem you've described. I known iTunes integration has caused a number of issues for people which it way the upcoming version 2.0 is supposed to offer library management without the need for iTunes.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

phatoldsun the problems you've described seem rather unique, i.e. I've not seen it mentioned before. For SQ purposes I don't use iTunes integration, just curious if you've tried running A+ in standalone mode. I run my 2011 mini headless as well using either Jump Desktop for iPad or iPhone control or screen sharing from another from another Mac and never had the problem you've described. I known iTunes integration has caused a number of issues for people which it way the upcoming version 2.0 is supposed to offer library management without the need for iTunes.

Hi BobP63, I can't be the only one. It's in the release notes of the latest version... well technically in the notes for 1.5.11 which was quickly replaced by .12.

Software_Update.jpg

I always download the new version from the website instead of from within the app so I can compare and go back if necessary. I removed .12 and went back to .10 after seeing some of the "sound changed with .12" comments here. Sure enough, 2-3 hours later, my wife runs into the room with her iPhone in hand asking why the volume slider within the Remote app keeps sliding to the left to silence. I fixed it and immediately put .12 on it and we are back to 48 hours+ of no slipping volume. So on my Mini, we are staying on .12 for WAF alone :)

On my MacBook Pro, I often run in stand alone/playlist mode and I don't remember the slipping volume ever happening. I also don't use the dithered volume.

I really don't have any iTunes integration mode issues (except for the previously mentioned occasional volume thing), and the proxy files work fine for me when I choose Apple Lossless. I don't hear a sound quality penalty either, but I've never tried to listen for it. So I'm curious to see what Damien creates, but right now everything is good.

Fairly new to all this folks!

Currently using A+ with a Leema Elements pre/dac and Leema Tucana integrated. Leema have advised to use the pre/dac as a dac only and let the integrated take care of pre duties.

In A+ options should I control volume via the dac or the A+ software?

I note when I let the dac control volume, the control knob on A+ Is greyed out at around 9.00. I thought this should be ideally at max setting for improved Performance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Fairly new to all this folks!

Currently using A+ with a Leema Elements pre/dac and Leema Tucana integrated. Leema have advised to use the pre/dac as a dac only and let the integrated take care of pre duties.

In A+ options should I control volume via the dac or the A+ software?

I note when I let the dac control volume, the control knob on A+ Is greyed out at around 9.00. I thought this should be ideally at max setting for improved Performance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Use the DAC's volume. When the knob is grayed out, A+ isn't doing anything to the volume, so the knob position is irrelevant.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Use the DAC's volume. When the knob is grayed out, A+ isn't doing anything to the volume, so the knob position is irrelevant.

Well that's odd news to me. I have always had A+ set to "DAC only" for volume control, and yet the knob still has a red tick on it, can be moved up and down, and DOES effect the volume level. Of course I always leave it at full on. Wish I knew a way to get the A+ knob to "grey out."

[i am not at all partial to digital volume controls. I have tried every possible setting with A+ (isotope's M-bit dithering, etc.), and I hate the sound of all of it. Even one increment off 0dB kills the music for me.]

Well that's odd news to me. I have always had A+ set to "DAC only" for volume control, and yet the knob still has a red tick on it, can be moved up and down, and DOES effect the volume level. Of course I always leave it at full on. Wish I knew a way to get the A+ knob to "grey out."

same here :(

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

[i am not at all partial to digital volume controls. I have tried every possible setting with A+ (isotope's M-bit dithering, etc.), and I hate the sound of all of it. Even one increment off 0dB kills the music for me.]

I don't think my system resolution is fine enough to allow me to hear any problems with the 32 bit implementation—to my understanding, the only benefit of using 32 bits on a 24 bit file is that the extra 8 bits can be used as a volume control without affecting anything through the first 48db of attenuation; but I truly don't trust my understanding.

Interesting. As you can imagine, I wouldn't suppose the DAC only setting was intended to provide for setting volume in software.

Wonder what causes this?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Interesting. As you can imagine, I wouldn't suppose the DAC only setting was intended to provide for setting volume in software.

Wonder what causes this?

in my setup I guess it happens because I'm using a bridge device

so I never bothered even if I was expecting a different behaviour

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

In this latest update of A+, for the first time I've had the red line on the vol control appear, intermittently. Fix it by going into my Mytek dac's FW Control Panel settings & changing sample rate to something & then resetting it back to 192. Hell knows why that works, but it's then good for the listening session.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

in my setup I guess it happens because I'm using a bridge device

so I never bothered even if I was expecting a different behaviour

I'm using a bridge as well, i.e. SPDIF converter and the DAC only setting in A+ works as expected that being the volume control in A+ is grayed out and disabled.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

I'm using a bridge as well, i.e. SPDIF converter and the DAC only setting in A+ works as expected that being the volume control in A+ is grayed out and disabled.

and... does your bridge device have a volume control of her own? the Audiophilleo I'm using does

(rotating the volume knob in A+ is reflected by a numerical value change on the AP display and, vice-versa, using a remote to adjust volume on the AP is reflected by A+ volume knob rotation)

this is why I always thought "DAC only" was working fine, even if not the way I was expecting

headphones system:

and... does your bridge device have a volume control of her own? the Audiophilleo I'm using does

(rotating the volume knob in A+ is reflected by a numerical value change on the AP display and, vice-versa, using a remote to adjust volume on the AP is reflected by A+ volume knob rotation)

this is why I always thought "DAC only" was working fine, even if not the way I was expecting

I'm using an Audiophilleo 2 so no volume control on the bridge or my DAC a Metrum Hex. Volume is strictly controlled via my Pass Labs integrated amplifier.

My setup is analogous to Bob's. So perhaps when volume is set to DAC only, A+ is just reflecting the volume setting for a DAC or bridge that has one, and when the DAC/bridge has no volume control of its own, Audirvana's control knob is grayed out to reflect that?

My setup is analogous to Bob's. So perhaps when volume is set to DAC only, A+ is just reflecting the volume setting for a DAC or bridge that has one, and when the DAC/bridge has no volume control of its own, Audirvana's control knob is grayed out to reflect that?

A+ indicates the software volume knob in red if you have selected the DAC Only option AND the DAC supports the function that allows to act on the software control to actually change the volume of the DAC.

In some cases (like mine) the DAC "tells" A+ that it supports the remote volume control but actually it doesn't. In this case whatever you change on the software volume knob has no effect at all on the volume!

But if on the contrary you adjust the volume ON the DAC, than you will see also the software knob moving...

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

A+ indicates the software volume knob in red if you have selected the DAC Only option AND the DAC supports the function that allows to act on the software control to actually change the volume of the DAC.

In some cases (like mine) the DAC "tells" A+ that it supports the remote volume control but actually it doesn't. In this case whatever you change on the software volume knob has no effect at all on the volume!

But if on the contrary you adjust the volume ON the DAC, than you will see also the software knob moving...

Still not what I have been experiencing since the day I began using A+. My DAC's XMOS USB input in no way supports any level control of its own. I have A+ set to DAC-only, the knob has a red tick on it, and CHANGING THE KNOB POSITION CHANGES THE LEVEL!

Someone above said it is the same for them. I am confused.

Still not what I have been experiencing since the day I began using A+. My DAC's XMOS USB input in no way supports any level control of its own. I have A+ set to DAC-only, the knob has a red tick on it, and CHANGING THE KNOB POSITION CHANGES THE LEVEL!

Someone above said it is the same for them. I am confused.

In the spirit of over confusing this more, I have to agree with SuperDad. I have A+ set to "DAC Only" for volume control. My DAC is the Benchmark DAC2 which has on board digital and analog volume control. When I look at A+, the volume knob has a red tick on it for the level and I have it set at 100% and 100% = 0 db. I control the volume freely with the Benchmark and it has no effect on the setting in A+.

Here is what I understand:

The color of the cursor on A+ volume control does not depend on the choice made in the Preferences/AudioVolume panel (DAC only, DAC if available, Software only). It depends only on the capability of the connected DAC.

From the manual:

"Volume Knob: There are three types of volume control, depending on the device capabilities, and the user preferences:

- Master (red cursor): the device provides a remote volume control feature that is inside the DAC and normally of optimal quality. See your DAC user manual for this.

- Digital (blue cursor): typically digital volume control at the device driver level, so still in the computer, with potential associated resolution loss. Should typically be set at 0dB to ensure bit perfect output.

- Dithered (green cursor): volume control computed by Audirvana Plus, with dithering to strive to maintain the best possible sound quality for this digital type of volume control.

The current value of volume control is displayed under the knob.

If the device provides no volume remote control and dithered volume control is not enabled in user preferences, the volume control knob is inactive.

Depending on the user preferences, the knob is rotated using a vertical (default), horizontal or rotational motion of the mouse."

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

Doraymon:

It all sounds so logical (yes, I read that in the manual ages ago), but that is not how it has ever worked for me. My DAC (a prototype Swenson/Hovland) has no ability whatsoever to control volume. The USB input board is the very good WaveIO | Luckit.

My A+ volume knob has a red tick with both choices of "DAC only" and "DAC if available, else software" (Green if I choose "Software only"), and the volume knob position does change the level. (This in A+ Playlist mode of course.)

Maybe Damien will clear things up for us at some point.

I'm also using a Wave into the Buffalo IIIse. My assumption has been that the red tic referred to the Sabre internal 32 bit volume control. What chipset does the Swenson/Hovland use? If it's the ESS or (similar in having internal volume adjustment), A+ may be addressing the chip directly, unless the DAC has firmware that tells the chip to not pay attention to those instructions. I've always had the DAC only checked in A+, and since I use iTunes, I have the iTunes volume control set to be ignored in A+.