IGNORED

Bicycles

There are, of course, certain rules, just like with audiophilia, except different:

Velominati › The Rules

Ever ridden with those guys? They are nuts! Of course it would be fun to have a set of CAluminati Rules for this group (pictures included)!

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Probably already posted ... but ...

[video=youtube_share;ncQsBzI-JHc]

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ok fun thread. I did try finding a Rega styled bicycle, but alas they don't make such an analog beast (ok, humor applied and moving on). I went both routes since I live in SoCal - I live in Irvine near the mountains and no far from Newport/Huntington Beach. So I picked up a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 to ride the trails here and love it. Of course after a good fall kneepads to protect that kneecap I missed crushing along with the regular stuff - hydropack, spare tubes, helmet and gloves I am good to go. And for the beach, I went with an all black Electra Cruiser single-speed. Love it for riding along the sunny coast line. Nothing fast needed just comfy. It's also my grocery-getter and quick run to the local stores.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29:

13635287435_fbea48a38c_z.jpg

Electra Cruiser 1

14878661777_94410d05e9_z.jpg

2012 (Late) Mac Mini, Oyen 1TB HDD (ALAC files), DH Labs Silversonic Toslink Optical w/3.5mm Audioquest adapter, Rega DAC, Audioquest Columbia IC, Rega Brio-R, DH Labs T-14 Cables, PSB Imagine B

• 2 years later...

Just a note - I am getting a bit better on two human powered wheels, but the bike I have been learning on is well - not doing so well. Myself and the bike had an encounter with a very annoyed doggie, whom after the crash, I had to smack soundly on top of his head to convince him I was not on the menu. Apparently, some biker had been really mean to the poor mutt. We made friends, but- well - eh, the old garage sale bike didn't make it. ;)

I was thinking about one of the new "fat bikes" - aiming for one in the under $1K range to continue with. It seems intriguing, the nice low pressure tires and the size of the tires being able to haul this much mass around. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

Some of the Retrospect models seem like a good first serious bike for someone of my size. Also easy to haul around. Also some of the low end Vilano models, but the fat bikes are just plain intriguing... ?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just a note - I am getting a bit better on two human powered wheels, but the bike I have been learning on is well - not doing so well. Myself and the bike had an encounter with a very annoyed doggie, whom after the crash, I had to smack soundly on top of his head to convince him I was not on the menu. Apparently, some biker had been really mean to the poor mutt. We made friends, but- well - eh, the old garage sale bike didn't make it. ;)

I was thinking about one of the new "fat bikes" - aiming for one in the under $1K range to continue with. It seems intriguing, the nice low pressure tires and the size of the tires being able to haul this much mass around. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

Some of the Retrospect models seem like a good first serious bike for someone of my size. Also easy to haul around. Also some of the low end Vilano models, but the fat bikes are just plain intriguing... ?

Unless you plan to ride on sand or snow, an alternative to a true fat-bike you might want to think about is a 27.5+ (or 29+) wheel-size mountain bike. It sort of gives you the best of both worlds. If I ever buy another mountain bike, I will probably get a 27.5+ one.

I've never actually ridden a fat bike, but now that the fad seems to be dissipating, you might be able to pick up one fairly cheap. This is definitely something you want to try before you buy.

Well, first funny bike story. I decided to replace the garage sale cruiser with a (very) entry level trail bike - so I bought a Giant Revel-2. I figured it would give me more of a workout, I could take it around the crushed gravel trails at the local state parks, and if I crashed the thing and tore it to hell and back - I was only out $350 or so. (With a larger seat.) Also, my logic is that I am a big (okay... fat!) guy, and the smaller wheels would force more of a workout for me. Also, I have a 29" inseam, and at least with this, I could touch the ground. Or so I thought...

Get the little beastie home and take it around the block a few times. Nice - amazing how fast it goes with such little apparent effort. Finally figure out the gearing - going from one gear to 21 is a bit intimidating - and decide on day two to push it a little. Around the block four times (the long way) = about two miles. Should be easy peasy... right?

The "long" way includes a modest uphill grade, and I found out pretty quickly what the gears are for. Still, I am going to push this - right? Get a tiny workout and make sure I can handle the thingamabob. I can ride 3 times that far normally, but at a much more leisurely pace.

So that's what I do. Get back to the driveway and my legs are a bit rubbery. No problem, I will just stand there for a minute and let em recover. The driveway has a slight incline, so the bike started to roll back a little with me on it. Naturally, I grabbed the brake. Wrong brake apparently, because that little thing - bounced. To the right... with *me* on it.

Which startled the hell out of me, so I let go of the brake and it started to roll again. Grabbed the brake again. Bounced to the right again. This time from the driveway to the grass, which at least was *away* from my Jeep.

This proceeded to happen rapidly for five more times until I fell over laughing. Big, 57 year old guy laying on the front grass laughing so hard tears are coming into my eyes. Which naturally makes the wife panic until she she sees the neighbors across the street almost doubled over laughing too. Apparently, when that thing took off like a bucking bronco, I verbally abused it a bit, as one would a horse. I would have swatted it if it had a snout...

In any case, once I stopped laughing, and managed to get up off the ground, all was well and no damage to the bike or to me. Except for my ribs aching from laughing so hard and my injured pride... what an adventure. Who knew that bikes could buck like a bronco? :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...

My father bought this Centurion Ironman Expert in 1987. He rode it for 15 years, then it spent the next 15 in a basement. I finally got around renovating it, pretty pleased with how it turned out. Exept for the wheels and handlebars, everything is more or less original spec. Bitten by the bike bug!

IMG_1476644957.933538.jpg

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3