IGNORED

Bicycles

You bought that? Did you grow the requisite beard?

Seems cool bikes are ridden by a different crowd there in Scandinavia.

Bike crowd = everybody

(i.e. school teachers, kids, Prime Ministers, homeless, grandmothers, suits, royal, CEO's)

More eye-candy

Cool!

Seems all CA's like all kinds of toys.

Correction; a bike is a means of transportation in Scandinavia.

Except my new trike who is a toy like any other sports car ;-)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Don't forget the dayglo orange pennant on a fishing pole so you don't get flattened by a landscaping truck.

Except here in Scandinavia we play nice.

Everybody bikes, even those with cars.

Everybody has kids and grandparents on bikes.

But thanks for the caring advice, I'll remember if I get around to bike across your beautiful country.

I'm doing a 22 mile round-trip commute including about 1/3 of it on unpaved fire trails, with about 600 m net climbing.

Sounds like Gondwana is a great place and that you have fun and keep healthy all at once.

Keep on biking.

Like the one I resemble perhaps? :)

Doctor is on me to loose weight, and I am not going to increase my running/jogging schedule. My darn feet *hurt*! I figure biking around might be a reasonable alternative?

Right around 240lbs of mighty muscle here... well, surrounded and cushioned a bit I suppose. (grin, maybe more than a bit...) Anyway, suggestions appreciated!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Like the one I resemble perhaps? :)

Doctor is on me to loose weight, and I am not going to increase my running/jogging schedule. My darn feet *hurt*! I figure biking around might be a reasonable alternative?

Right around 240lbs of mighty muscle here... well, surrounded and cushioned a bit I suppose. (grin, maybe more than a bit...) Anyway, suggestions appreciated!

-Paul

Much experience riding a bike since you were a kid? A skinny tire road bike with dropped bars is probably not for you. Go to a bike shop and get fitted properly for a hybrid or mountain bike to ride around the neighborhood or at the local park. That could quickly become boring, though, especially if you are riding by yourself.

A better idea would be to commit to some spin classes at the gym. You'll get a far more intense cardio workout in a short amount of time, without the up-front investment in the potential "coat rack".

Doctor is on me to loose weight, and I am not going to increase my running/jogging schedule.

My darn feet *hurt*! I figure biking around might be a reasonable alternative?

Right around 240lbs of mighty muscle here... well, surrounded and cushioned a bit I suppose. (grin, maybe more than a bit...)

Anyway, suggestions appreciated!

-Paul

Paul, I recommend a well build trike.

They are fun, comfy to ride slow or fast and also great if you are (no longer) athletic.

Trikes are stable, even if you ride very very slow, great when you are starting out building your stamina.

I assume you are in the US?

Perhaps a great well built and popular US brand - the Catrike

Have a look at the Villager, rider weight limit 275lb (125kg) makes you a nymph ;-)

As always, find a dealer, explain what you need, test ride & test ride some more.

And always, always have fun!

Catrike.png

Cat 2.png

Also, look at this picture of a Greenspeed until you forget all about the stupid beard jokes:

Green.png

Yeah, the Catrikes are quite good.

Paul -- I would suggest a full-suspension mountain bike to ease you in. They are very forgiving. Mine made rehab possible. Get good stiff shoes too, like this: Five Ten - Maltese Falcon - Raven's Eye Grey These are good because you can ride them with flat spikey pedals, and if you decide to clip in with an SPD cleat later, you can do that too. I am riding with them now on my road bike.

Bike Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Lose Weight and Start Cycling (No Experience Necessary!): Selene Yeager, Leslie Bonci: 9781609615925: Amazon.com: Books

I would suggest a full-suspension mountain bike to ease you in.

Just a couple of (probably slightly uninformed) comments ...

First if depends how much you have to spend. An acceptable quality full-suspension mountain bike does not come cheap.

Second; if you are cycling on paths rather than mud-terrain, get the tyres changed for something suitable.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Trek's dual-sport line all have front suspension and at least a couple have an elastomer shock absorber in the rear triangle. Cheaper than a full-suspension MTB, and being a cross between a mountain bike and a commuter bike, somewhat more versatile (larger wheels, narrower tires than an MTB.) I tested one out and really liked it but ended up getting a Specialized instead as the reach was better for me and it was on deep discount. Kona used to, may still do, make one of their Dew commuter bikes with a full suspension; it was called the Dew FS.

I ride a lugged steel-framed Kona road bike called the Kapu. Nice ride, sharp-looking.

Good luck with your search!

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Yeah, the Catrikes are quite good.

Paul -- I would suggest a full-suspension mountain bike to ease you in. They are very forgiving. Mine made rehab possible. Get good stiff shoes too, like this: Five Ten - Maltese Falcon - Raven's Eye Grey These are good because you can ride them with flat spikey pedals, and if you decide to clip in with an SPD cleat later, you can do that too. I am riding with them now on my road bike.

Bike Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Lose Weight and Start Cycling (No Experience Necessary!): Selene Yeager, Leslie Bonci: 9781609615925: Amazon.com: Books

Interesting book, I just ordered it and also browsed around as much as Amazon would let me. I just wish there were some place locally where I could *hide* until I drop a few pounds. ;)

I am going to go look at a bike shop during lunch today. Would the 'Hybrid' and 'Cruiser' type bikes described in the book also be good choices, at least to start?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

It really depends upon what kind of biking you want to do, and whether you want to spend money, want to ride trails or pavement, etc. Hybrids tend to be lower-end with harsh frames and cheap components. I bought one a couple years ago and wound up giving it to my daughter's flute teacher. He really likes it.

Before you drop a big pile of cash, it might be worth renting a couple of different types of bikes. I personally found that a mountain bike was the most forgiving during rehab from a broken ankle. That is why I thought, given what you mentioned about foot pain, it might be worth getting a full-suspension mountain bike. Mine was over $2.5K back in 2007. They aren't cheap, but often you can find last year's model or a similar deal deeply discounted. Mountain bikes are also more forgiving of rider weight than road or hybrids.

Cruisers are an ergonomic hell-disaster. I would avoid them.

Cushy seat = bad

Cushy bike = good

I almost always ride alone.

Road bikers I have observed, on average, are far less tolerant and more judgmental than mountain bikers.

Avoid Cruisers, Mountain Bikes ahead of Hybrids. Got it.

Mostly, I plan to be on the road, as this is Texas and going off road here can get you into some pretty remote areas. I am not very confident I could draw and shoot a snake before it bit me from a bike. :)

$2.5K is a lot more than I was thinking of spending, but then again, it is my arse on the line and that isn't that much money for something well fitted to me. I didn't realize there was that much of a subculture though. Have to learn to be off-road polite while wheeling around the suburbs...

-Paul

It really depends upon what kind of biking you want to do, and whether you want to spend money, want to ride trails or pavement, etc. Hybrids tend to be lower-end with harsh frames and cheap components. I bought one a couple years ago and wound up giving it to my daughter's flute teacher. He really likes it.

Before you drop a big pile of cash, it might be worth renting a couple of different types of bikes. I personally found that a mountain bike was the most forgiving during rehab from a broken ankle. That is why I thought, given what you mentioned about foot pain, it might be worth getting a full-suspension mountain bike. Mine was over $2.5K back in 2007. They aren't cheap, but often you can find last year's model or a similar deal deeply discounted. Mountain bikes are also more forgiving of rider weight than road or hybrids.

Cruisers are an ergonomic hell-disaster. I would avoid them.

Cushy seat = bad

Cushy bike = good

I almost always ride alone.

Road bikers I have observed, on average, are far less tolerant and more judgmental than mountain bikers.

Robert A. Heinlein

Cycling, especially road bikes, are a serious hobby, like CA. You can easily spend *five figures* on a top-of-the-line road bike these days. Even a halfway-decent road or mountain bike is easily going to cost you a couple thousand. Add to that a pump and a toolkit, a helmet, padded gloves (in case you fall), padded bike shorts (so you don't irritate your crotch), the correct shoes, etc.

By all means, browse a couple of bike shops before you buy anything. You are a big guy, so explain that you are a runner (as opposed to a total couch potato), but don't have much experience cycling. If you get a condescending attitude, find another shop immediately. Remember, it's not just the type of bike, but the fit is critical, or you won't be comfortable on it. Therefore, you will need to develop a good rapport with a shop, at least at first.

Avoid Cruisers, Mountain Bikes ahead of Hybrids. Got it.

Mostly, I plan to be on the road,

Then my mtn bike recommendation is not a good one. Sorry.

as this is Texas and going off road here can get you into some pretty remote areas. I am not very confident I could draw and shoot a snake before it bit me from a bike. :)

I'd be more worried about Bubba and his pickup truck.

I would look at a commuter bike like this Best Commuter Bike - PUBLIC D8i . You don't need suspension if you are not riding off pavement. If your paved roads are rough, get fatter tires. Because these types of bikes put you in a more upright position, there will be more weight distributed to your rear end; buy the best saddle you can afford. Padded shorts are a good idea and they don't have to be skin-tight lycra.

Paul, do you want this (free)?

10099d1389742959-bicycles-image2.aspx.jpeg

The frame is 53 cm. I would have to figure out how to get it to you. It's a good bike. Hand-made Al frame (in USA), hydraulic brakes, decent components, crap saddle (get a new one), lock-out front suspension, rack, fenders, generator hub for front and read lights. How tall are you?

Based on what Paul has indicated about himself and his intended use, I think DigiPete's 3-wheeled option is the way to go. I have never ridden one myself, but my next door neighbor has one and he loves it. He even rides it up some of our very steep local canyons!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Paul, do you want this (free)?

10099d1389742959-bicycles-image2.aspx.jpeg

The frame is 53 cm. I would have to figure out how to get it to you. It's a good bike. Hand-made Al frame (in USA), hydraulic brakes, decent components, crap saddle (get a new one), lock-out front suspension, rack, fenders, generator hub for front and read lights. How tall are you?

Ok, wgscott- that is generous! Paul, never mind my suggestion- go with free :)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Cushy seat = bad

Cushy bike = good

Hey, I like my seat with the gel pads (aftermarket).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Perhaps a few months on a lean meat and fish diet , with plenty of veges and fruit first might be a good idea ?

Perhaps Karen may even join in to further encourage you? It's hard to go it alone on a strict diet, but Diabetes is a potential risk if you don't.

Biking can be very pleasurable when you are fitter, but too much strenuous exercise straight off, particularly if you live in a hilly area , may not be a great idea?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020