IGNORED

Bicycles

I spent £100 on a bike from Halford in Cambridge and as soon as I rode it out of the shop, one of the pedal axels snapped off and that is why we stopped at 3 children.

Sounds like a bargain then Bill :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Three quick comments:

(1) Just as there are a good number of cyclists on this audiophile forum, the reverse seems to be true (logically enough). I've noted a good number of audio enthusiasts on the Paceline forum, the iBOB list and other online cycling places I've spent time in over the years.

(2) As much as I've spent on audio equipment -- and that's been a lot this past year due to you incorrigible people <smile> -- it's been easy for me to spend tons more on bicycles, parts, clothing, bike tools and other cycling goodies for me and my wife over the past quarter century. Although I am thinking of selling my Rivendell Road bike to help support my purchase of new floor standing speakers for my main system.

(3) Ever since I was a child, I've loved cycling and listening to recorded music (dogs too, as in my avatar) -- seems like I won't grow up.

Dave, who says that last line makes him think of Peter Pan and he's had a question for people over the years -- Of these three stories/movies/shows, which one do you love the best: Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland -- and he's a Peter Pan kinda fellow

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

I spent £100 on a bike from Halford in Cambridge and as soon as I rode it out of the shop, one of the pedal axels snapped off and that is why we stopped at 3 children.

Sounds like a bargain then Bill :-)

No kidding. Just use half the money saved and Bill should have a stable of those $20k bikes. Then he can tell us how they ride.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Three quick comments:

(1) Just as there are a good number of cyclists on this audiophile forum, the reverse seems to be true (logically enough). I've noted a good number of audio enthusiasts on the Paceline forum, the iBOB list and other online cycling places I've spent time in over the years.

(2) As much as I've spent on audio equipment -- and that's been a lot this past year due to you incorrigible people <smile> -- it's been easy for me to spend tons more on bicycles, parts, clothing, bike tools and other cycling goodies for me and my wife over the past quarter century. Although I am thinking of selling my Rivendell Road bike to help support my purchase of new floor standing speakers for my main system.

(3) Ever since I was a child, I've loved cycling and listening to recorded music (dogs too, as in my avatar) -- seems like I won't grow up.

Dave, who says that last line makes him think of Peter Pan and he's had a question for people over the years -- Of these three stories/movies/shows, which one do you love the best: Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland -- and he's a Peter Pan kinda fellow

Oh, I can see an opportunity Cycleman. Post two identical posts at the Paceline and here. Should I sell my Rivendell for these speakers? Then you can cross post replies and get further input in both directions.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Oh, I can see an opportunity Cycleman. Post two identical posts at the Paceline and here. Should I sell my Rivendell for these speakers? Then you can cross post replies and get further input in both directions.

Oh my (or "oy my" as I originally typed) -- imagining implementing that suggestion is making my head spin in my body just like Michael Keaton's in Beetlejuice.

Music is love, made audible.

Have you ever asked yourself whether the constant noise of air whistling past your ears (particularly as it got more noisy due to helmet straps) could affect your hearing? I have often wondered if there was a great business opportunity in designing a helmet whose straps reduced rather than increased wind noise as speed increased...

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Have you ever asked yourself whether the constant noise of air whistling past your ears (particularly as it got more noisy due to helmet straps) could affect your hearing? I have often wondered if there was a great business opportunity in designing a helmet whose straps reduced rather than increased wind noise as speed increased...

What?

I've never noticed any noise. Maybe I am too slow.

At last count I believe I had 9 bikes. A couple are missing parts so they're not all rideable.

I own a norco road bike but it stays on the trainer year round, I used to ride a lot of road but not so much anymore. I'll now ride my hardtail XC bike for "road" riding so that I can also jump off the road and hit a few trails or climb hills. I feel so limited on my skinny tire bike.

My baby is my 2011 specialized sworks hardtail stumpjumper 29er.

The other bike that gets a lot of saddle time is a slightly older aluminum norco exc 26" hardtail built with xtr/dt wheels/fox fork.

And the only other one worth mentioning is a a santa cruz v10 for going extra fast.

I hope you'll welcome my suggestions, but in my experience the best thing you can do is cross train. Do not bike exclusively. When I was racing I rarely did other training, but was 5'10 145 lbs, which was good for climbing. I only got to be a much stronger rider after beginning training for triathlons and getting up to about 170 lbs. You need to focus on your core as much as your legs, which is why I was never into spinning classes- which don't really work your core. free weight training, even for light weights will help a lot as well as some running and swimming - or really any other sport. The point is that

I'm sure you know, but eventually an upgrade to a road bike will be helpful. I've ridden all of the FX series - Our shop used to sell them - and they are good for many things, but a true road bike will really help you get to the next level.

Cross training is very important. Walking and running are out for me but Pilates and weights are really helpful. The 7.7 is a road bike carbon frame with straight handlebars.

Trek 7.7.jpg

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

After 25 years of SPDs, I'm now riding flat pedals with spikes on them, and 5/10s that look like hiking boots but stick like a gecko.

I am now using SPDs but wore 5/10s with my previous bike. Great shoes and my feet were never cold during the winter. They are now seeing street use this winter.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Pinarello.jpg

Niner_zps3dfa67b9.jpg

DeRosaUD2.jpg

DeRosaVega-1.jpg

MootsComooter_zps406fd838.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• 4 months later...
OK, it is Barber of Seville on the stereo today!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12802[/ATTACH]

Sweet ride!

Carbon forks made by Enve Composites, in my birthplace, Ogden, Utah.... go O-Town!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Sweet ride!

Carbon forks made by Enve Composites, in my birthplace, Ogden, Utah.... go O-Town!

Are there subjectivist bike riders out there who can feel the difference with carbon forks?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein