IGNORED

Oppo BDP-105(D) finally gets a DSD64 & 128 DAC

I may be missing something, but where does the BDP-105D offer anything with regard to DSD playback over and above the standard BDP-105?

The "D" refers to Darbee processing which is purely a video technology.

Eloise

PS sorry I re-read and found it has a new USB interface.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I may be missing something, but where does the BDP-105D offer anything with regard to DSD playback over and above the standard BDP-105?

The 105 will not accept a DSD stream over the USB "B" connector in the rear. It will only play DSD from storage media via the USB "A" connectors in front and rear, afaik.

Is it finally multichannel DSD over USB?

Stereo only.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

The 105 will not accept a DSD stream over the USB "B" connector in the rear. It will only play DSD from storage media via the USB "A" connectors in front and rear, afaik.

Yeah I realised that afterwards...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson viewpost-right.png

Yeah I realised that afterwards...

The info for the new BDP-105D states (in the link above):

The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105D can convert it to analog.

USB DAC input is still stereo only (dang it!).

Kal, keep an eye out for a USPS box on Thursday.

Russ

Is there an option to upgrade?? Just got mine in early Dec and am a week outside the 30 day window.

Loving the unit.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

I would contact Oppo immediately. Did you buy direct from Oppo? That might help.

On another issue, anyone have experience with the Darby processing? I realize this is visual and not audio, but has to be considered as part of the value of an upgrade. I have a BDP-105 and might consider switching to a 103D since I don't use the 2 channel much.

^ This is *not* the audiophile upgrade I was looking for.. More hype from what is basically a disc playing manufacturer.. I mean if you are going to do DSD properly, why not multichannel via USB (the internal DAC is capable, and why not DSD via uPnP like the current model does PCM?)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

UPDATE: for those interested

Oppo said it is not a simple send back and upgrade for the new USB. Can't just pop a new one in.

They allowed me a Christmas grace period and will allow my return, and I will simply get the 105-D.

I am all 2 channel, but get the frustration about the multichannel issue.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

^Yes they are. Awesome customer focus. It's not that the Oppo 105 isn't a great sounding piece of kit. (it is) But why is it that they don't bring out a true uPnP Streamer..? Clearly it's got the correct DAC, and the computing power in the thing is adequate.. I've never got a solid and logical answer.. If they are not careful they will be beaten in the race.. what with the e28 and now Auralic's lightning announcement at CES.....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

..... But why is it that they don't bring out a true uPnP Streamer..? Clearly it's got the correct DAC, and the computing power in the thing is adequate.. I've never got a solid and logical answer.....
It is their policy to not commit/promise anything about future upgrades or products but, in my discussions with them, they have expressed a clear awareness of this issue. Sorry that I (or they) cannot be more forthcoming.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

It is their policy to not commit/promise anything about future upgrades or products but, in my discussions with them, they have expressed a clear awareness of this issue. Sorry that I (or they) cannot be more forthcoming.

Tell them we want the capabilities of Linn DS (with added DSD support for those that won't buy anything without it) at the price of the BDP-103 and preferably with a USB output so we can use it with our favorite DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

This would be such a no brainer for me if ... and this is kind of a dumb reason ... there were two HDMI inputs on the back.

Karen is far from enthused about an "ugly cable sticking out the front of the thing?!" (grin)

Since I really only run two channel sound, even for video, this would be a real easy thing to use. Plug in the Apple TV and Roku, plug in the cable to the television, connect a set of interconnects to the Pre. All done. So easy, and so far away... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I hope Oppo lets 105 owners upgrade the USB receiver chip, so I can play dsf files over USB. I couldn't care less about Darbee -- all I want is the USB functionality I thought I would get when I first bought the player. I find having to switch to USB to play these files an unnecessary inconvenience.

If not, I doubt I'll ever buy another oppo product again (I'm still not sure why they could never figure a software/firmware upgrade for the original USB receiver in the 105.

Soon everybody will be able to use Auralic's Aries DAC Bridge to enable double-DSD/DXD streaming on their USB DACs (including the Oppo BDP-105D), but the functionality won't come cheap as the magic box will retail at $999; that's almost the cost of the BDP-105D player/USB DAC.

Tell them we want the capabilities of Linn DS (with added DSD support for those that won't buy anything without it) at the price of the BDP-103 and preferably with a USB output so we can use it with our favorite DAC.

The Oppo could then be used as a BD/SACD player, Hi-res/DSD streamer, USB DAC, or DAC bridge... Not a bad idea at all.

The 105D is not really next generation as the name implies. It did gave them an oppotunity to add DSD support to the USB DAC port. Besides this and te Darbee processing, all else is the same. I believe a 205 might include network DSD streaming and support for higher res PCM as well as multichannel PCM/DSD support through USB too (LH Labs will start developing a MCH DAC this year)..... By then it will be the standard and Oppo will be catching up with them, albeit at their good value price.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

^Yes they are. Awesome customer focus. It's not that the Oppo 105 isn't a great sounding piece of kit. (it is) But why is it that they don't bring out a true uPnP Streamer..? Clearly it's got the correct DAC, and the computing power in the thing is adequate.. I've never got a solid and logical answer.. If they are not careful they will be beaten in the race.. what with the e28 and now Auralic's lightning announcement at CES.....

If they are not careful they will be beaten in the race.. what with the e28 and now Auralic's lightning announcement at CES..

True but your talking about dacs that cost $1000's more

The Truth Is Out There

• 2 months later...

Playing with a 105d right now used as a dac only.

Does anyone know for the usb input if it needs power? I'd like to get a power-less USB cable, or one with separate power if it needs it. Obviously the dac itself won't be powered by the usb power, but sometimes a slight part of the input chip uses it, and/or it may use the power line as a 'wake up' signal.