IGNORED

Logitech/ModWright Transporter - continuing issues - at wits end

I've posted some threads here about the issues I've run into with my Logitech/ModWright Transporter over the past several weeks - I need to put them into a list as they're now occurring on a regular basis.

- Randomly restarts itself (no fix found)

- Randomly turns itself off (no fix found)

- Randomly loses connectivity with the server (no network/server issues to associate with this)

- Randomly loses audio output (fix stated in previous thread)

- If I go to a local Internet radio station and then switch to the Optical input, the name of the station stays until the server is rebooted (though the Optical input does actuate).

I've restored all the default settings on both the server end and Transporter end. The server has been physically rebooted. The wireless router has been rebooted.

I'm not sure what the **** is going on with this thing, especially because I used it for months with no issues, but I'm at my wits' end. Any words of wisdom you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Mark

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Sounds like a hardware issue. Unfortunately you should probably send it off to ModWright and see if they can make sense of it. Things do unfortunately break sometimes.

I am using four Squeezebox's and one Squeezeboom all on same network and am not encountering any difficulty so you can probably rule out the software if it is all up to date. If you have any other networked devices then it should be fairly easy to make sure your network is still running correctly so rule that out before you send up off also.

David

Can you roll-back to earlier versions of Transporter firmware and Slimserver/SB software on the host? Or, run the server software off another device. Another thought would be to try an ethernet connection straight off the Macbook to the Transporter and eliminate the router for troubleshooting.

It certainly could be hardware but I am not convinced it isn't software either...at least before I started packing it off to Modwright.

On the hardware side, is anything on the Transporter running warmer than usual? Or, can you crack the lid and give it a good spray with dust-off and something like a Caig cleaner. Dan Wright was doing these around 10 years ago, which is enough time for components to start aging/failing.

I have a Modwright CDP, it hasn't been issue-less but the sound is so amazing it just compounds frustration when it isn't working :D

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Well, the one thing I didn't do was actually reset the device to factory settings (press "+" upon power up). After doing so, things seem to have stabilized. The other thing I realized I did - the one thing that I'm really figuring impacted things (though it shouldn't have) was to have audio power down upon power off. I've since set that to "Audio always on" as seen below.

audio power on off.jpg

So far, so good.

Thanks realhifi and Savage for the suggestions and support.

Cheers,

Mick

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Well, the one thing I didn't do was actually reset the device to factory settings (press "+" upon power up). After doing so, things seem to have stabilized. The other thing I realized I did - the one thing that I'm really figuring impacted things (though it shouldn't have) was to have audio power down upon power off. I've since set that to "Audio always on" as seen below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10245[/ATTACH]

So far, so good.

Thanks realhifi and Savage for the suggestions and support.

Cheers,

Mick

Good! A reboot is one if the first things to do with these "computers", I'm sorry I didn't recommend that first. Your switching that audio power switch certainly can't hurt either.

David