IGNORED

Bruce Springsteen's Great Expectations, sorry High Hopes, in 24/44: any first impressions?

Bruce Springsteen's new album, High Hopes, is available in 24 bit 44.1kHz from Qobuz and probably elsewhere I would guess.

Could someone who got it share their impressions and ideally a DR reading?

As I have been listening to Springsteen for a long time, I am tempted to buy it, but I fear that it might be one of those all-too-common highly volume-compressed pop/rock high-res releases.

Bought it from HDTracks.

It's the first Springsteen album since "The Ghost of Tom Joad" that has grabbed me and not let go.

Recording is OK, not great--but you don't buy Springsteen albums for SQ, do you?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Bought it from HDTracks.

It's the first Springsteen album since "The Ghost of Tom Joad" that has grabbed me and not let go.

Many thanks for the report.

Recording is OK, not great--but you don't buy Springsteen albums for SQ, do you?

Yes, sure, but the sound quality of Born To Run or Born in the USA on Japanese mini-LP CDs is not bad, far from it.

I'd already ordered both High Hopes and Roseanne Cash's "The River and the Thread" from Amazon before they became available on HDTracks. So I went ahead and downloaded both in order to perform a relatively low cost experiment as to whether 24-bit versus 16-bit will affect my subjective listening impression in either case. Will let you know.

Interesting that with a 10% HDTracks discount, the prices for the downloads and CDs were comparable.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So I went ahead and downloaded both in order to perform a relatively low cost experiment as to whether 24-bit versus 16-bit will affect my subjective listening impression in either case. Will let you know.

Will read with interest...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.