IGNORED

My Brother the Music Lover

You being English should understand the difference between upper and middle class :-)

Ahh yes ... but those defined as Middle Class do not always aspire to Upper Class due to the negative connotations of being Upper Class

I just wanted to point out that my entire system was less that what others spend on cables alone.

Perhaps, but sometimes that is for the better...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I wouldn't call myself a musician, although I played in several amateur jazz groups at some point and am still playing around with Logic for home recording.

Anyhow, it is clear to me that I'd 100x prefer listening to e.g. a poor mono bootleg of a 1950s Oscar Peterson on this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10122[/ATTACH]

than most of e.g. Chesky's amazingly boring audiophile recordings even in double DSD on this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10123[/ATTACH]

Call me crazy...

You're crazy!

Here's why. Because you don't agree with me. I don't mind the transistor radio, and I'm not fond of soulless Chesky drivel, but I put my foot down when it comes to lousy recordings, be they historical wonders or just plain trash.

I much prefer a technically good recording (of a good performance of good music) on a crummy system to a lousy recording (of a good performance of good music) on any system. IOW I value recording quality over audio system (within sane limits--whatever they might be--of course).

Chris

You're crazy!

Here's why. Because you don't agree with me. I don't mind the transistor radio, and I'm not fond of soulless Chesky drivel, but I put my foot down when it comes to lousy recordings, be they historical wonders or just plain trash.

I much prefer a technically good recording (of a good performance of good music) on a crummy system to a lousy recording (of a good performance of good music) on any system. IOW I value recording quality over audio system (within sane limits--whatever they might be--of course).

Chris

To be fair, I also have a certain minimum standard of recording quality, so really poor bootlegs just don't cut it for me. But once that level is met, music will always come first.

It's stuff I never heard of. I believe his speakers are Totem Hawks. Although I never looked, I am certain his cables are whatever he had before, which is probably lamp cord.

He has the system set up to 80% of what it is probably capable of, but he is happy and I'll be darned if I say anything.

Thanks. //(*_*)\\

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

My father had a Tandberg radio that looked something like that, and it sounded great!

I wouldn't call myself a musician, although I played in several amateur jazz groups at some point and am still playing around with Logic for home recording.

Anyhow, it is clear to me that I'd 100x prefer listening to e.g. a poor mono bootleg of a 1950s Oscar Peterson on this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10122[/ATTACH]

than most of e.g. Chesky's amazingly boring audiophile recordings even in double DSD on this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10123[/ATTACH]

Call me crazy...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 years later...

I thought I'd check in after a couple of years of being away. I used to post here a fair bit.

In that time, I have thought a lot about this thread which I started about my brother. Over these last two years, I have become much more like my brother.

Regarding my equipment, the analog elements of my system are pretty much the same as they were in 2014. In fact, my vintage Sylvania EL-34s are still going strong. The upgrade of my laptop "server" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 went poorly and I need to address that. The big addition of equipment, and some of you will gag, is an iHome W1 battery powered wifi speaker whatchamacallit. Best Buy was blowing them out the door for $99 and I couldn't resist. I love the stupid thing; I can play music anywhere in wifi range directly from my server using Apple Airplay. Love it.

Regarding my music, recently I have been intrigued by live recordings. I don't like live concerts and have asked myself why some musicians favor live venues opposed to the controlled environment of a studio. I have not yet come to an understanding of the answer, but I have found some cool "live" recordings in the process. Some of my favorites are:

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

Harry Belafonte - Live at Carnage Hall (this is actually an old favorite)

Joni Mitchell - Miles of Isles

Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

Herbie Mann - Live at the Village Gate

One that I just don't "get" that is supposed to be great is:

Judy Garland - At Carnegie Hall

My favorite non-mainstream album is:

Borrowed Tunes II - A tribute to Neil Young

There are just so many surprises to find in that album. Interestingly, my brother gave it to me.

... not sure why I'm posting this all; had only meant to browse the website to see what audiophiles are talking about.

I hope all is well.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

musicians often seem to be able (and willing) to listen through or past the system used -- the equipment doesn't seem that important to them
The weird thing is that my brother is a Mechanical Engineer.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors