IGNORED

A very good extarnal PSU for Mac Mini

AIB

Im considiring of buying an external PSU. Just don know which. Have read many of the Mac Mini threads on optimizing and there is a lot of differents PSU that is mentioned. Like the mojo, Hynes and so on....

What is the best power conection for this PSU? Umbilicord, Din?

Which PSU is the best under 650 dollars?

Need to be EU 230 EU version.

Anyone?

Speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PLC350/CPW GS/GXW15

Amplifier: ModWright KWI 200 - Yamaha RX-A 3020

DAC: Bryston BDA-1 - Berkley Alpha Design USB

HTPC: Mac Mini 2,6QC I7 256SSD 4GB ram

Cables: Chord super Epic Twin - Straight Wire AES/EBU - Mapleshade Plus USB - Taralabs Air RCA

Tweeks: Sort Kones BC

Battery needs to be replaced after a while. Thats a draw back..

Cables: Chord super Epic Twin - Straight Wire AES/EBU - Mapleshade Plus USB - Taralabs Air RCA

But NO PSU, will EVER get as good as a battery supply!

I don't agree with that statement. An active PSU can, if suitably designed, have a lower noise level AND a lower impedance than a simple battery supply with extended leads, as well as having virtually no voltage change under varying load conditions.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

but which??

The Clones Audio mPSU is a plug and play solution, about 500 Euros if I remember correctly. It comes with the dc cable from the power supply AND the internal cable that plugs right into the mother board (most do not). You will need to disassemble your Mini to take out the switching power supply. They have a video on youtube which demonstrates what's required...pretty straightforward.

Or you could wait until Alex C releases his John Swenson designed PSUs for the Mac Mini in a few months time,. They will be a simple swap over too. You will also have the benefit of some reports by other C.A. members too if you wait a month or so after their release.

It's quite possible that they will cost less than the alternatives too. On the other hand, if you can't wait, Paul Hynes designs some very well reviewed PSUs and voltage regulators .

I use one of Paul's 3.3V regulators in my own DIY DAC.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020