IGNORED

Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances (Suite #2 in particular)

Anyone care to recommend a good performance of this? I heard Suite#2 on the way into work this morning and it was delightful!

I want a great performance of it, hires if possible, but CD quality is quite okay. Download or disc. :)

Thanks,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9948[/ATTACH]

Not hi-res, but Telarc is excellent.

This is my first choice for this music with an excellent coupling of the Botticelli, however the Dorati is still enjoyable. The Dorati played as a ripped CD definitely sounds better than the physical disc. I have the original Dorati CD release and the SQ may be different (better or worse?) than more recent editions. I couldn't find the Dorati on HDT.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

As far as I can find, HDTT does not have a version of this at all. (I was hoping for the Mercury release direct from tape... :)

ClassicalArchives has the Dorati version as a download, but only at MP3 quality. (Go figure)

Soundstage Direct has a 180g vinyl remaster coming out of the Dorati, but it is not released yet. (This is tempting...)

System Records in the UK has a copy of the 180gram 2007 Vinyl Dorati, but it is (in converted currency) about $44 including international shipping.

Of course, Amazon has both CD's, which is where I suppose, I will go. One day, I might be able to conveniently RIP the SACDs without a lot of trouble or having to ask someone else to do it for me. :)

-Paul

P.S.

HDTracks has this version only, and at CD quality:

Robert A. Heinlein

Not what you are looking for…but…this DSD copy of Respighi "Belkis, Queen of Sheba" (Eiji Oue) just came out today:

Eiji Oue-Respighi Belkis Queen Of Sheba Suite-DSD Download | Acoustic Sounds

I don't have it but perhaps it is worth a look?

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

The Dorati on Mercury is considered to be the top choice, although I find it a bit dry and bright sonically. I think HDTracks may have it in 24/88 res from the SACD

I'd agree with this assessment Paul. I don't find it dry an bright but YMMV. Get the CD and rip it. You might also check out Church Windows if you haven't heard it yet. Naxos has a very nice version at reasonable rates. Not sure about downloads.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I ripped both CDs last night and listened to them several times through. Utterly delightful! I do think the Dorati is a better recording, but the Telarc has a lot going for it too. I am very happy!

Thanks

I'd agree with this assessment Paul. I don't find it dry an bright but YMMV. Get the CD and rip it.

Robert A. Heinlein