IGNORED

If it's measurable, is it audible?

If you can measure it, is it audible?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My opinion as well!

BTW, regarding modern tube gear of today, it's very, very resolving. But unfortunately not at the nice price.

Just my opinion,

Roch

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

BTW, regarding modern tube gear of today, it's very, very resolving. But unfortunately not at the nice price.

Just my opinion,

Roch

Could you name an example or two of very, very resolving tube gear?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Could you name an example or two of very, very resolving tube gear?

Could you name an example or two of very, very resolving Class D amplifiers?

Perhaps some with at least 2 zeroes in their distortion figures and a bandwidth that can do full justice to 24/192 and DSD material, given speakers to match their capabilities ? The old rule of thumb was that an amplifier should have at least 3 to 5 times the bandwidth of the highest frequency to be reproduced.

In the case of some recordings from Barry Diament with genuine musical content as high as 57kHz , that would imply a minimum bandwidth of at least 171kHz.

I am not into valves these days but it is my understanding that those expensive valve amplifiers that use "Grounded Grid" topology are highly revealing, without the "even order" colouration associated with most valve amplifiers, and can hold their own with the best of the transistor amplifiers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I am sorry if I disappointed you Peter, but I do not understand why one wouldn't be offended by a remark such as that. Culturally, people who claim to have been abducted by aliens are seen as disturbed and completely crazy. Add to that, those people who claim to have been abducted are rare, and often considered freaks. Intentional or not, it paints one as woefully hopeless if they dare to say they hear these differences. Let's keep in mind that there is a significant percentage of people who claim to experience this sort of phenomena. Franky, too large a portion of posters here observe this sort of thing for it to be considered "unusual". Certainly not enough so for them to have to support it under the so often stated Carl Sagan remark.

Hi 4est,

I really think you are over-analyzing here, and seeking for evidence of insult or offence where there is none intended. I have the natural ability to filter out potentially hurtful remarks by thinking "Mmmm, perhaps that was not what he/she meant to say". I usually come to the conclusion that is the case. Can you? Or is it more beneficial for you to point out all the negative implications, using words/phrases such as "disturbed", "completely crazy" and "freaks" which I never used nor implied?

So, yes, I am disappointed because I thought I had build up a bit more credibility here on CA, and what I write should be not be considered insulting/offensive, especially by people who have been reading my posts for as long as I have been active on CA, including yourself.

On another note, if you believe my phrasing is really that offensive, I suggest you use the "report post" button and alert Chris.

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Peter: I am not upset, this is not personal and I was not attempting to single you out. I was simply attempting to get across the point that it was akin to calling one nutty. There is little to read into as that is the cultural relevance of that statement regardless of how you meant it. My main point may have been missed however: It is that some of these observed conundrums are not extremest positions by the sheer numbers of observers. Likening them all to crazies, religious fanatics or other faith based ideologies is not only a poor analogy, but rude in any way I can imagine. It seems all to apparent that there is a smear campaign going on, and some prominent posters have stated an agenda. If you got caught in the frey, I am sorry, but you might want to pay more attention to the company you keep...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz