IGNORED

New audio player by Mark Levinson's "Daniel Hertz"- Master Class

Afveep

Hi gche,

Where are you located? We have a sound room near Geneva if you come to that area. Let me know. We can go offline if you send me your email address in a private message. There is a pic of the GUI at Daniel Hertz. It's very easy to use. Looks simple but the sonic difference it makes can be astonishing. Since what is does is up to you, the difference can be very subtle or major. It depends on how the recording was made, what it takes to optimize it for your system, and your personal taste. It does as little or as much as you tell it to do. You are not stuck with something the software does, you hear only your choices.

Please understand that Daniel Hertz is not a big company that can invest in the kinds of expensive security that some use. I want to make Master Class available because it is a truly game changing development that enables a new level of sonic quality, but copy protection is an issue that won't go away. The dongle we use is tiny, projecting around 1/4" outside the Mac. Master Class is a distillation of what I have been using for some years as mastering tools to make my own recordings of music sound the very best they can. You can soon download some sample "original" and "Master Class-ed" files from Daniel Hertz and see what you think.

We know, which is why everyone is politely pointing out that dongles are not effective copy protection, and are in fact, much more expensive than internet based security means.

Think of it like this - at some point the software will wake up, gather information about the machine it is running on, interrogate the dongle, determine if it is a valid copy of the software, and then either authorize or deny the software the right to run.

It is just as effective, and far less expensive to have the software wake up, gather information about the machine it is running on, interrogate a server on the network, and do the exact same thing. If a machine is not on a network, the user can use a machine that is on the internet, and be issued a special code that allows the software to run so long as no parameters (disk, processor, serial#, etc.) have been changed. Usually that requires entering some information gleaned from the machine to be licensed by hand. Often a special encrypted string the software creates and provides in a display window to the user.

Using a dongle is not a sign of a high end product any longer. And obviously, using method similar to that described above, there are no license fees, per unit fees, or other fees needed to control the licensing of the client software. And no pissed off customers when the software stops working because the darn dongle broke.

Or worse, someone paid a hacker to hack the dongle and the entire encryption and authorization scheme is available for use. Which is very common these days. The hacker's take it almost as a challenge.

-Paul

Please understand that Daniel Hertz is not a big company that can invest in the kinds of expensive security that some use. I want to make Master Class available because it is a truly game changing development that enables a new level of sonic quality, but copy protection is an issue that won't go away. The dongle we use is tiny, projecting around 1/4" outside the Mac. Master Class is a distillation of what I have been using for some years as mastering tools to make my own recordings of music sound the very best they can. You can soon download some sample "original" and "Master Class-ed" files from Daniel Hertz and see what you think.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Priaptor,

We are making screen shots for the site that answer questions from WBF members, including yours. Apologies, we barely got Master Class ready for CES and are now catching up as fast as we can.

Yes, Master Class is a player that is used to EQ as the track is playing. It usually takes only 5 - 15 seconds to do when you are used to it. You can also Render and Save the track with all changes as a new AIFF file.

Master Class does only what you want it to do. You can turn EQ on or off, A+ on or off, or bypass both. EQ is in 0.1dB steps so the sonic effect can can be from inaudible to dramatic. It's up to you. It depends on what is needed and what you want. Room aside, the equation is recording + your system + your ears.

You can save and load presets. A preset can be used to process all the tracks on an album, for example; you can make an overall system correction if you wish; you can email presets to other to try; You can Render and Save all the tracks in an album with the same preset. You can Render and Save AIFF files (capturing the EQ and A+) when you want - it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the new file to appear on the desktop or folder where you put them.

Of course, you must be listening to a track in order to apply EQ. You can use the bypass controls to turn on and off every band, every function, as well as a global bypass, so there is no mystery about the effect of each control. There are invisible "return to 0dB" areas that make it ultra-fast to start again.

Mark

Hi Superdad,

You are right, sample tracks are not the ultimate solution, just a start until we see if we can make a trial version available. We are a small company and have to live within our means, and some of the security big companies use is out of reach for us.You may not know it, but big companies spend fortunes on security far beyond what we can manage.

In response to your points:

1. people can find original CD tracks of the files we use to verify we don't make deceptive comparisons. Anyway, we are not so stupid as to do that. The truth always comes out, and we are not going to trash our reputation for any reason.

2. yes, there is repertoire that appeals to a wide variety off people.

3. Correct!!! you are right, this is the real point!

Hi Paul.raulerson,

Great to have your input. If you could refer me to an expert that can propose a better solution along the lines you mention, I would appreciate it. I am a music and audio guy, not a computer/internet expert. I work with people at the top of the industry who have excellent track records, client lists, and reputations, who agree that the Wibu dongle gives the best protection at a cost that DH can afford. I am always open to better solutions, and look forward to an suggestions you may have. You can reach me at my direct email address [email protected] .

Dear Mark:

Thanks for your candid replies. I look forward to auditioning your comparison tracks and your software.

Regards,

Alex Crespi

P.S. I was one of the co-owners of Hovland Company (1999-2009); I think we shared some of the same overseas distributors. Oh wait, my apologies, I forgot, your eponymous brand was part of Harmon by that time. Guess you were doing Red Rose Music during that decade.

Hi Concombre Masqué,

The issue is getting the best security solution for a cost we can afford. Your getting "bored" shows that you are most concerned with having your needs met without wanting to look at the needs of the other side. The "distrust/believe" issue is your creation, not anyone else's. I am not asking anyone to believe anything. People find out for themselves in time.

I can look up a few for you, but I quite surprised you didn't go with the Wibu CmAct system, which is about twice as flexible and just as secure. Cheaper too.

It is also a bit disconcerting that you look to people in the "top of the music" industry to define your software license and protection scheme. That would be a bit like asking an accountant to advise you on the best equalization. Also, the "music industry" has a really poor record of understanding and using license protection.

Most of the folks I know in your part of the world are at ETH and work on different kinds of projects, but I will see if anyone has some names to send your way.

-Paul

Hi Paul.raulerson,

Great to have your input. If you could refer me to an expert that can propose a better solution along the lines you mention, I would appreciate it. I am a music and audio guy, not a computer/internet expert. I work with people at the top of the industry who have excellent track records, client lists, and reputations, who agree that the Wibu dongle gives the best protection at a cost that DH can afford. I am always open to better solutions, and look forward to an suggestions you may have. You can reach me at my direct email address [email protected] .

Robert A. Heinlein

Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Perhaps you might revisit Wibu and have them explain the CmAct system again. You might find it an even better fit for your needs.

By the way, even a most cursory Google search revealed several cracks for WiBu dongles. I do not know if they work or not (I suspect not, perhaps just some form of malware- do not try to download or use this link!) but you might ask your WiBu representative to explain it and what measures they are taking to counter such. Once cracked, a dongle provides zero protection.

Free WIBU-BOX dongle dumper | nodongle.biz solutions

Do not download or run software from site above, but feel free to present it to the WiBu people with questions.

Paul

P.S. I sent off a query to my friends and associates at ETH, and will pass back any suggestions from them to your email address.

Hi Paul.raulerson,

We use Wibu. Wibu management advised me to go with the dongle. According to them, it is far more secure. I did not say "top of the music industry" - I said "top people" - referring in this case to the top management of Wibu.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul.raulerson,

As I said, Wibu told me about the dongle-less solution but strongly recommended their dongle option. According to them, it has never been cracked. I am not worried about losing a few sales. The issue is that in principle object to stealing. Anyway, as I said, I am not an internet security expert so I rely on those who are. Thanks for wanting to help me, and if you find any better options, I am most grateful. I believe in making things as easy and user friendly as possible, so no dongles is great if we can do it securely.

Yep. Dongles are also perceived somehow as adding value to a product, when the opposite is usually the truth.

It's like buying an DAC and being told it will stop working if you attach a different set of cables to it, because it is licensed to work with only one certain physcial set of cables. How far do you think the DAC manufacturer would get with that line? Mmm- on second thought, it would probably sell to someone... :)

-Paul

The dongle is only worth cracking if the software is something people want to steal. Hence the cleverness of not permitting a free trial.

Robert A. Heinlein

The dongle is only worth cracking if the software is something people want to steal. Hence the cleverness of not permitting a free trial.

As maybe you know (not because you are hacker, but a Mac power user) a dongle could be duplicated, or the the code in the app that "ask for the dongle" bypassed....

Amarra began that way, and then they changed. Some times a dongle is a pain in the a***, like because they are so small that can be lost.

I'll never buy a piece of software if I don't try it before a this price.

To Mr. Levinson,

Please place in your web site some music tracks with your "treatment" that are horrible transferred and/or mastered, like Red Norvo Quintet's "The Forward Look", from Reference Recordings. Since I remember it had a very good SQ in the original acetate edition. And not from an already very good digital, like MA Recordings.

Best,

Roch

It's like buying an DAC and being told it will stop working if you attach a different set of cables to it, because it is licensed to work with only one certain physcial set of cables. How far do you think the DAC manufacturer would get with that line? Mmm- on second thought, it would probably sell to someone... :)

-Paul

Hey, for more than a decade Spectral has gotten away with requiring use of MIT or Spectral/MIT cables with their amps--supposedly even to the point of not honoring the warranty if other cables were used.

(grin) Which is exactly why I changed "amp" to "DAC".... :)

-Paul

Hey, for more than a decade Spectral has gotten away with requiring use of MIT or Spectral/MIT cables with their amps--supposedly even to the point of not honoring the warranty if other cables were used.

Robert A. Heinlein

It doesn't have much to do with Master Class, but it a bit of joking around about internet security.

-Paul

Hi Paul and Superdad,

What does this have to do with Master Class or internet security? Are we on a new subject? I lost the thread. Can you help me?

Robert A. Heinlein