IGNORED

New audio player by Mark Levinson's "Daniel Hertz"- Master Class

Afveep

Hi LCM,

A+ is not a gimmick. Audio mastering is based on finding solutions to overcome sonic limitations. There are hundreds of algorithms out there, many of them sound effects, but some are valuable tools that enhance the quality of music playback. The best recordings are made with them.

People say they want progress, but progress requires change, and most people tend to be resistant to it until they experience the benefits. People around the world have expressed enthusiasm for years for my recordings that are made with A+, but it wasn't for sale until now. Just A+ is not a solution for the majority of recordings, in my opinion, but coupled with the MC EQ, it is outstanding. If you click A+ on and off, the difference is quite subtle, buy it is a different listening experience. We will soon have a trial version of MC so you can try it for yourself.

Hi LCM,

A+ is not a gimmick. Audio mastering is based on finding solutions to overcome sonic limitations. There are hundreds of algorithms out there, many of them sound effects, but some are valuable tools that enhance the quality of music playback. The best recordings are made with them.

People say they want progress, but progress requires change, and most people tend to be resistant to it until they experience the benefits. People around the world have expressed enthusiasm for years for my recordings that are made with A+, but it wasn't for sale until now. Just A+ is not a solution for the majority of recordings, in my opinion, but coupled with the MC EQ, it is outstanding. If you click A+ on and off, the difference is quite subtle, buy it is a different listening experience. We will soon have a trial version of MC so you can try it for yourself.

I will. So far I use Amarra with RX3/Alloy2 Eqed PCM and A+, sorry (?), Audirvana+ for untamed DSD files

Mr. Levinson,

Although I'm not a fan of the type of marketing you are expert at, I do have a huge amount of respect for the equipment your companies have produced. One of the finest sounding systems I've heard featured all Levinson equipment (from the era when you owned it).

I think you are doing yourself and computer audio in general a disservice by calling your technology "A+". A+ is what most of us call Audirvana+. It competes in the same space as your new product and is an established leader. Further, it is a one man shop, not some big company. Whether deliberate or accidental, your use of the A+ name is already causing consumer confusion (see early in this topic) and makes many of us distrust your motives.

Thanks for listening. Welcome to C.A.

Mr. Levinson,

Please respond to the concern noted above. Audirvana A+ is a computer audio software program used and much beloved by a great number of people worldwide especially a great number on this site.

The author of the program had established his small but excellent business under that name so courtesy would dictate that you'd find another. Your name and reputation is a sizable advantage that could hinder his future product development and business success if you chose to continue using this product name. (also note the product in my signature line)

Regards,

Warren

I very much appreciate your comments and will look into this right away, as it is important to respect such issues. Be assured, my associates and I had no idea about the issue with Audivarna and have no wish to hurt them or anyone. Our only motive is to develop good technology and products. Daniel Hertz is also a small company and we want to be friendly to other audio ventures. In any case, respect is fundamental to good relationships. Thanks again for the heads up.

Lol:

"Master Class is available at a price most people can afford. "

Sorry, the amarra Symphonie upgrade makes me get gray hair...

For the Price i would like to save the money for a new DAC.

i would say lower the price and you will get more buyers and remove the dongle..

Hi Mappi75,

I appreciate your suggest your suggestions and will reflect on them.

To evaluate the value proposition of Master Class, you should find out what it can do. We will soon have original and "Master Class-ed" files available for download so people can hear for themselves.

With regard to the dongle, it is the industry standard copy protection for professional mastering software.

Hi Mappi75,

I appreciate your suggest your suggestions and will reflect on them.

To evaluate the value proposition of Master Class, you should find out what it can do. We will soon have original and "Master Class-ed" files available for download so people can hear for themselves.

With regard to the dongle, it is the industry standard copy protection for professional mastering software.

Mr. Levinson,

Do you plan to have a downloadable trial version of your software, along with the "before" and "after" files? I'd love to test it in my system, but 600 CHF is too steep for a curiosity at this point... It will take a few days of evaluation to determine whether it's worth it. And, it might as well be, but I'll only know it if I'm able to download it and try.

Thanks,

Alexandre

Hi Mappi75,

Not for Sonoris (Internet activation and licensing)

or iZotrope Ozone 5

or Sonic Studios (Amarra)

or ...

Dongles are a very big detriment to software sales. It may prevent a lost sale to one or two pirates, but it will also prevent a dozen or more sales to legit customers.

I had to remove dongles from my software products about 10 years ago, as they became far more of a hassle than they were worth. I also found that sales went up significantly. So did pirate activity, unfortunately, but the end result of loosing the dongle was very very positive. This is on software significantly more expensive than Master Class. :) YMMV.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I agree with Paul (imagine that). I've used dongles on a 100K+ medical system, but never on consumer products. Many laptops only have one or two USB ports, so most people are not too happy to give one up to a dongle. Why not just require a one-time online registration? That seems to be good enough for the majority of consumer software including a lot of expensive packages that are far more likely to be pirated, such as Microsoft Office Professional or Adobe Photoshop.

. . .

Dongles are a very big detriment to software sales.

It may prevent a lost sale to one or two pirates, but it will also prevent a dozen or more sales to legit customers.

I had to remove dongles from my software products about 10 years ago, as they became far more of a hassle than they were worth.

I also found that sales went up significantly. So did pirate activity, unfortunately, but the end result of loosing the dongle was very very positive.

This is on software significantly more expensive than Master Class. :) YMMV.

Attractive software:

- Trial period

- Easy download

- Reasonable price

- Fair use with no hassle (two computers or household)

- Include costumers in development and de-bugging

- Updates to keep SW sharp and functional

Rediculous price, a dongle and no trial will only give ridicule, piracy and/or oblivion.

Respect the costumer and they will respect you back!

Hell, we'll generate your market with no money under the table.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I have been making recordings for 50+ years...Like all my products since 1974...I would suggest that people hear what Master Class can do before passing judgement.

But since people cannot hear, aka audition, your audio player software without paying first -- and forget the outrageous price relative to other audio players -- you're not going to get many customers.

Really.

Being able to demo software for free, for a limited time, is the way the world is in the 21st century. From your comments above about the "50+ years" et cetera, I wonder if you're still thinking in 20th century terms.

The Computer Audiophile forum is an excellent gauge of your potential market.

If I really wanted to sell something to this audience, I would listen and make changes accordingly.

You couldn't find better market research.

Really.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

I would not buy an expensive music player if I can't not test it before I buy, even if published by the Pope in Rome, the Dalai Lama...

Hey, both Pope Francis and the Dalai Lama favor analog, not digital.

So...

Hey, both Pope Francis and the Dalai Lama favor analog, not digital.

So...

. . . old guys tend to loose track of the world!

Many of the universal truths described by Dalai Lama continue to be valid . . . as in universal . . .

As for the pope - I leave that up to those under his rule.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

But since people cannot hear, aka audition, your audio player software without paying first -- and forget the outrageous price relative to other audio players -- you're not going to get many customers.

Really.

Being able to demo software for free, for a limited time, is the way the world is in the 21st century. From your comments above about the "50+ years" et cetera, I wonder if you're still thinking in 20th century terms.

The Computer Audiophile forum is an excellent gauge of your potential market.

If I really wanted to sell something to this audience, I would listen and make changes accordingly.

You couldn't find better market research.

Really.

I couldn't agree more. Place a barrier between people and the product you want them to try, such as a dongle and a "money back guarantee" and I can almost guarantee that the % of people you want to try the product will be 1-2% of the total. Good luck on that business plan.

. . . old guys tend to loose track of the world!

Many of the universal truths described by Dalai Lama continue to be valid . . . as in universal . . .

As for the pope - I leave that up to those under his rule.

Oh, I actually meant that in a good way, that those people are analog.

Lots of universal truths.

I very much appreciate the response, opinions and suggestions from the people on this blog ( and others), and am looking into ways of implementing them. For starters, we will make pairs of music files - original and Master Class-ed - available for download. This provides a quick way to hear what can be done with Master Class (MC), with different types of repertoire.

You guys can help me by continued communication, and by understanding that MC is the result of 15 years of research, development, and expense. The world does not need more audio sound effects or gimmicks. What is needed are tools that bring music to life, and that is a more complex set of issues. To deal with them requires, in my opinion, experience with live music, making recordings and manufacturing audio equipment. There is more going on that you may think. MC looks ample and is very easy to use, but what it does is quite remarkable.

Pro audio software uses dongles for a reason, but I also agree that it would be great to eliminate the dongle. We are exploring the options. In the meantime, I hope that the downloadable tracks will show the value of MC. The ideal is to adjust for the specific playback system being used, but in general, the download files seem to be a good evaluation tool . They also eliminate the learning curve (although some users will get it faster than others). Of course, the instant BYPASS in MC is also a good thing. For those who think the price is high, you may revise your opinion when you hear the difference MC makes. There is lots of much more expensive (and hard to use) mastering software available which cannot make the sonic improvements possible with MC. Time will tell. Again, many thanks for the super feedback!

Hi Priaptor,

I agree with you but have to find the best way to proceed. Serious pro audio software usually works with a dongle - a pain in the ass but there are reasons. Making original and Master Class-ed files available for download is a start, while we figure out the rest.

The world is full of over-priced, under-engineered products, but Daniel Hertz is not part of that. A high value proposition is important, and Master Class is not an exception. It makes dramatic improvements in ways that are scientifically correct and make engineering sense on all levels - musical, mathematical, and human. For what it does, it is a true bargain, as all early adopters agree. You have justifiable allergy to nonsense-providers, please be sure that Daniel Hertz is really on target here, no disappointments. MC took 15 years to develop and produce, and we are open to ways of improving our product and service. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Hi Le Concombre Masqué,

Thank you Barry,

I will try ChannelStrip. One thing that I detailed in http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/breaking-bad-18774/#post285074 puzzles me : I came to prefer DSD played straight (at least for acoustic music), then no EQ, while I definitely prefer my PCM EQed and Amarra processed : my room might be quite fine (but even with LPs I'm sometimes disturbed by the bump around 800 Hz) but I feel like processing PCM : might give MC with its disturbingly so called A+ gimmick a try if such thing becomes available

We all respond differently to different aspects of sound. With that in mind, I can only speak for myself. My first response to your statement was not to question PCM but to question the channel through which you send PCM signals, specifically the DAC. Perhaps you prefer your DAC's performance with DSD more than with PCM.

Personally, I've never felt the need to EQ a recording in PCM format that I would not also want to EQ exactly the same way in any other format.

And if I don't feel the need to EQ a given recording in say, analog, I find I feel exactly the same way with a good PCM encoding of same.

I think it is always a good idea to try things and audition them for yourself. No one else can tell you how *you* feel about them. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Le Concombre Masqué,

We all respond differently to different aspects of sound. With that in mind, I can only speak for myself. My first response to your statement was not to question PCM but to question the channel through which you send PCM signals, specifically the DAC. Perhaps you prefer your DAC's performance with DSD more than with PCM.

Personally, I've never felt the need to EQ a recording in PCM format that I would not also want to EQ exactly the same way in any other format.

And if I don't feel the need to EQ a given recording in say, analog, I find I feel exactly the same way with a good PCM encoding of same.

I think it is always a good idea to try things and audition them for yourself. No one else can tell you how *you* feel about them. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Barry,

I am not sure (doubt) that my analog gear is well enough isolated from any feedback so that the EQ should be the same than for PCM.

I came to accept that as much as digital and analog as wholes, PCM and DSD are different beasts or beasts to which i respond differently, to quote your words.

Then I can bring you the feed-back that ("funny" it's been the market trend...) I'm comfortable when I download or rip Rock (encompassing a very broad range here) as PCM for it's a no brainer to rejoice from heavy tight bass, EQ tweaked, while what I appreciate in DSD (fast, dimensional, lively sound ) suits classical or Jazz better. But there are many counter exemples. I might end up downloading America as hires PCM for I'm frustrated by the low end of the SACD in my room, while, i.e., the SACD of Hotel California has plenty enough of low end with amazingly fast transients and can be quoted as a totally satisfying exemple of Rock (broad sense once again) on DSD.

And you know what ? I'm happy : I have not changed anything in my system for weeks now : good sign; isn't it ?

Best Regards,

Le Concombre

Hi All,

There is more to this than you may think. A paper on this will be written but is not yet finished.

I worked with Sony and Philips to introduce SACD, and have one of the first DSD recording systems - there were then only 27 worldwide and 10 in the US. I recorded "Live Recordings at Red Rose Music" in 2000 which was used to launch SACD at the Sony and Philips exhibits at a major trade show. It later became of the best selling SACD's and had no PCM processing at all. (Most SACD's are made with PCM processing because there are few mastering tools in DSD.) I had the opportunity to copy many of my 30 ups analog tapes to DSD. In my facilities, Dr. John Diamond, a formidable authority on PCM issues, did extensive tests with DSD, PCM, and analog on the physiological level. Subsequently, computer-based health diagnostic equipment confirmed the findings.

The human brain responds to PCM with a stress response that is manifested in the human body's internal functions. Analog and pure DSD (no PCM processing) do not produce this response. Once a signal is in the PCM domain, it will always produce this stress response, even if converted to DSD or analog formats. This stress response is what turns people off, and makes us prefer LP's or analog tape. It is a physiological phenomenon. Whatever we think subjectively, we are all affected by this issue. This has been confirmed over 15 years of testing and research.

Master Class was developed to do two things. First, with A+, to eliminate this stress response; second, with the EQ, to obtain natural tonal balance from a wide variety of recordings. Without A+, EQ will not achieve the desired results because it is never "right" due to the stress response. This understanding is required in order to better comprehend the subject under discussion - EQ and different formats. You may find Master Class to be more significant that you think in this regard. More later on this. Questions welcome.

The human brain responds to PCM with a stress response that is manifested in the human body's internal functions. Analog and pure DSD (no PCM processing) do not produce this response. Once a signal is in the PCM domain, it will always produce this stress response, even if converted to DSD or analog formats. This stress response is what turns people off, and makes us prefer LP's or analog tape. It is a physiological phenomenon. Whatever we think subjectively, we are all affected by this issue. This has been confirmed over 15 years of testing and research.

Could you point us to the publications associated with this discovery please?

Hi All,

There is more to this than you may think. A paper on this will be written but is not yet finished.

I worked with Sony and Philips to introduce SACD, and have one of the first DSD recording systems - there were then only 27 worldwide and 10 in the US. I recorded "Live Recordings at Red Rose Music" in 2000 which was used to launch SACD at the Sony and Philips exhibits at a major trade show. It later became of the best selling SACD's and had no PCM processing at all. (Most SACD's are made with PCM processing because there are few mastering tools in DSD.) I had the opportunity to copy many of my 30 ups analog tapes to DSD. In my facilities, Dr. John Diamond, a formidable authority on PCM issues, did extensive tests with DSD, PCM, and analog on the physiological level. Subsequently, computer-based health diagnostic equipment confirmed the findings.

Master Class was developed to do two things. First, with A+, to eliminate this stress response; second, with the EQ, to obtain natural tonal balance from a wide variety of recordings. Without A+, EQ will not achieve the desired results because it is never "right" due to the stress response. This understanding is required in order to better comprehend the subject under discussion - EQ and different formats. You may find Master Class to be more significant that you think in this regard. More later on this. Questions welcome.

well, I woke up yesterday morning with a new girlfriend and Montserrat Figueras/Savall led her to break in tears. Mere CD rip... and probably not the kind of stress you're referring to... sheer beauty, gorgeous sound

None that I know of yet. In order to prove the point well enough to satisfy medical experts, it is necessary to do a full test that is very expensive. I am looking into various possibilities. I offer the info for those who have interest, not to make trouble or be negative. A preliminary test report we have is extremely interesting but not broad enough to prove anything conclusively.