IGNORED

Genelec 6010A on clearance... For the price, are there other powered speakers that I should compare them to?

I have been looking for a pair of powered bookshelf speakers to play FLAC files alongside my TV in my living room (a "family room," not my listening room). The system is intended to be distinct from my TV. I will play the speakers at small parties, when I have the TV muted, when I'm reading, when I am trying not to be antisocial in my listening room, etc.. The speakers should be small so as not to... um... raise suspicion that they are too expensive, but I'm prepared to buy a pair around ~$500 to ensure solid quality.

With this goal in mind, I looked around a few stores until I happened to stroll through a Magnolia store yesterday (inside of Best Buy). Magnolia had a pair of Genelec 6010A powered monitors on clearance for $390. I've always wanted to hear Genelecs (because of talk on this forum), but I never heard music out of them before. Even though I did not listen to them in the store, because they fit my criteria and were over half off their original sale price, I bought them.

So far, I really dig the little speakers, and I listened to jazz and classical music all day while watching football on mute. Actually, I couldn't stop listening to them.

While this is a good sign that I am happy with my purchase, I'm still new to audiophile-quality gear, and I'm wowed by a lot of higher-price-point speakers. I also had never heard higher-quality speakers in my living room, so I have done A-B-Aing to truly evaluate them.

Before i let my return period lapse on these speakers, i thought that I'd see if anyone had any thoughts about them. Are there other powered speakers at this price point that might obviously be a better purchase? Or should I just be happy that I got a clearance steal (which might be the only way I would have reached into the Genelec price-point territory).

Thanks for any input.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

Genelecs have a slight reputation for honkiness in the highs, but overall flat frequency response.

For there size and price there's nothing comparable, although its a physics question give the small amount of air their 3 inch drivers can push (they are also heavily DSP'd), for $400 if you are willing to go bigger there are better options.

I am keeping them. I'm really happy with the purchase.

I did bring them to work and A-B-A'd them with my audio engine a5+ speakers. But those are much bigger and less beautiful speakers for my living room.

Playing some Glazunov at the moment... Finnish Fantasy, of course.

Cheers...

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

I have not seen or heard these. Look around, a 3" full ranger has many limitations, especially with DSP. the 3" drtiver can only push so much air.

There are lots of options in this price range. Go to a local music shop. An active pair of 2 ways should be in your price range. You would surprised what lines Guitar Center carries.

I picked up one of the original Blue Blue eX0 systems at Guitar Center NIB for 179.00 or so a few years ago. These is a large sub that has the amplifiers built in. Even at the original price of 599.00 I think they are fairly priced. The new ones have a sub about half the size, good for space but not for bass.

And since my employer was purchased there are no speakers at work. The young guys wear headphones. The older guys are on conference calls or in meetings all day long. No music.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.