IGNORED

2013 best audio marketing of pseudo-science or fictional science...taking nominations now.

Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful

I don't believe it

There she goes again

She's tidied up and I can't find anything

All my tubes and wires

And careful notes

And antiquated notions

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This has got to be humor, right?

It suffers in translation. Or, should that be it causes suffering in need of translation?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I find it a bit pathetic that they are looking at at translation and picking it apart in English. Not that I have any interest in those devices, but it is clear that this is a witch hunt of sorts.

It suffers in translation. Or, should that be it causes suffering in need of translation?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Did you read the reviews?

I read them. Thanks for recommending them. They are marvelous. I love the one that says "the effect was like a punch in your face". This must be true, if the stick is launched energetically enough, to borrow a word from the product description.

It (quantum theory) is indeed quite strange and unusual, but the main point is it is very specific about predicting what phenomena can happen, and what cannot...

The "explanations" in audio-shyster advertising invoking quantum theory do nothing of this sort. They throw around a bunch of buzzwords to bedazzle those who don't have much of a background in the subject, but the claims are entirely vacuous bullshit that can explain nothing.

You are probably right about the bullshitness of the various audio ad copy referenced here. But, quantum effects are being seen in more macro situations then thought of before, so keeping an open mind wouldn't hurt. (Ain't evolving science wonderful ?!)

See Living in a Quantum World

Happened to pick this up for reading material while on the throne recently. Serendipitous ?

You are probably right about the bullshitness of the various audio ad copy referenced here. But, quantum effects are being seen in more macro situations then thought of before, so keeping an open mind wouldn't hurt. (Ain't evolving science wonderful ?!)

Happened to pick this up for reading material while on the throne recently. Serendipitous ?

Physicists finding that quantum behavior persists on a macroscopic scale is a far cry from employees of an office park audio company manipulating the behavior of quantum particles.

The article is about the fact that experiments have shown quantum superposition (Schrodinger's cat being both dead and alive) in surprising situations, where the objects in which this is occurring are large enough for relatively easy interaction with the rest of the universe, and therefore scientists might have expected decoherence (enough communication of information with the outside world to "collapse" the superposition - we open the door to the box and see the cat either alive or dead). Superposition is a very specific quantum phenomenon, and its occurrence in macroscopic objects is not an easy thing. Otherwise quantum supercomputers would be far easier to make.

(DWave, the somewhat controversial maker of what it claims are quantum computers, has so far not demonstrated speedup beyond classical algorithms in its computers using what are supposed to be "qubits" - bits that utilize quantum superposition to be both 1 and 0 at the same time and thus theoretically enable far faster calculations. For anyone interested in quantum computing and the related subject of computational complexity, Scott Aaronson's blog is strongly recommended - Shtetl-Optimized .)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

There was also (in UK) the store which sold refrigerated devices and named their store quite simply ... And got used by the famous department store Selfridges.

Eloise

Which is probably exactly what they were hoping for. Journos are suckers for David vs. Goliath stories, and Sell Fridges undoubtedly got far more media attention than they ever could have hoped to buy on their marketing budget.

Whether any customers actually made the trip to Stoke Newington to buy there as a result is, I suspect, a matter of some doubt.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 weeks later...

Accessories | Entreq

These seem worthy of this thread.

Vibb Eaters. Mouse shaped bag with sand, copper, precious mineral dust and precious metals. Of course they probably sort of work on vibration. And I don't know if the cost is ridiculous enough to garner enough audiophile cred.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Accessories | Entreq

These seem worthy of this thread.

Vibb Eaters. Mouse shaped bag with sand, copper, precious mineral dust and precious metals. Of course they probably sort of work on vibration. And I don't know if the cost is ridiculous enough to garner enough audiophile cred.

Love the packaging! Imagine a set of speaker cables shipping in a wooden crate?......that's both cool and absurd at the same time.

It is indeed quite strange and unusual, but the main point is it is very specific about predicting what phenomena can happen, and what cannot. For example, the entire periodic table not only can be explained, very simply and qualitatively, in terms of quantum mechanics, but it very specifically entails what is allowed and what is forbidden. For example, it predicts (and explains) that two hydrogen atoms combine to form a dimeric molecule of hydrogen, but that two helium atoms cannot do the same.

The "explanations" in audio-shyster advertising invoking quantum theory do nothing of this sort. They throw around a bunch of buzzwords to bedazzle those who don't have much of a background in the subject, but the claims are entirely vacuous bullshit that can explain nothing. It really is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

To paraphrase Noam Chomsky, it is a moral obligation for those with specialized training, to speak the truth and expose the lies.

Especially when the 'specialized' knowledge is in the eye of the beholder and not provable...

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Chomsky used the word "intellectual", which today carries such a negative connotation, I decided to neutralize it. But I wasn't counting on a tea-party audience that thinks science is a leftist conspiracy to make them pay taxes and fund the UN.

You mean, it doesn't? :)

Investing in Bad Science | Hoover Institution

Surely not all, but there is some silliness out there. As always, Buyer Beware.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Chomsky used the word "intellectual", which today carries such a negative connotation, I decided to neutralize it. But I wasn't counting on a tea-party audience that thinks science is a leftist conspiracy to make them pay taxes and fund the UN.

Perhaps we just refuse to let the idea of 'science' be defined and limited to ideas and folk the left likes...like the 'science' of man made Global Warming, a concept as un-provable as debating angels in pins. When the left stops pretending they get to decide who is a scientist and what is science for the rest of us, perhaps those self proclaimed 'intellectuals' will be taken more seriously by the rest of us.

It is not a conspiracy about taxes or the UN but condescension by folk who like to pretend intellectual superiority and are shocked when millions reject the meme.

At the very best I would rate Chomsky as an idiot savant, one who writes piffle beautifully...

Put another way, that 'intellectual' is one very naked emperor.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

That Tea Party audience is a b*tch.

To paraphrase Noam Chomsky, it is a moral obligation for those with specialized training, to speak the truth and expose the lies.

Obviously, this needed additional paraphrasing for this audience. Something that would neuter the intent.

It is the moral obligation for those with specialized training not to speak so as not to upset those exposed to the lies.

Think this would work, or does it need a little more work? And would it be correct to still attribute it to Noam Chomsky? In the spirit of everyone feeling special and all while ignoring what someone really said or meant.

Perhaps we just refuse to let the idea of 'science' be defined and limited to ideas and folk the left likes...like the 'science' of man made Global Warming, a concept as un-provable as debating angels in pins. When the left stops pretending they get to decide who is a scientist and what is science for the rest of us, perhaps those self proclaimed 'intellectuals' will be taken more seriously by the rest of us.

And I suppose you also believe in fairies, tea parties, shining cities on hills, and probably black helicopters that go bump in the night ?

Please go somewhere other then CA with your political fantasies...

How about - those with specialized training to be taught that training alone does not an expert make. I think many people here missed that lesson.

Nobody has a moral obligation to teach- everyone has a moral obligation to learn.

That Tea Party audience is a b*tch.

Obviously, this needed additional paraphrasing for this audience. Something that would neuter the intent.

It is the moral obligation for those with specialized training not to speak so as not to upset those exposed to the lies.

Think this would work, or does it need a little more work? And would it be correct to still attribute it to Noam Chomsky? In the spirit of everyone feeling special and all while ignoring what someone really said or meant.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Peter

You may wish to check my reply to yours in that other thread.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020