IGNORED

2013 best audio marketing of pseudo-science or fictional science...taking nominations now.

Links or quotes would be nice.

We all have enjoyed the various quantum explanations, and other fantastical physics used by audio companies to explain how or why their products are better. So taking nominations for the best you have seen in 2013. When we have a good collection there will be a poll later so CA members can vote for their favorite.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I nominate: Jade Budda Figure repelling cats. (show us your kit thread)

Silly, nothing repels cats!!

Suar-Wood-Kitty-Cat-Prayer-Sculpture-Indonesia-P13717120s.jpg

Maybe it was the wrong Buddha.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Let move into some real science

Advanced Audio Concepts - CD Tweak, Super Intelligent Chip, Nanotechnology

Step right up and get your 'The Super Intelligent Chip' [ATTACH=CONFIG]9909[/ATTACH]

Not something I would try, however they do have a 30 day money back guarantee for more adventurous souls.

I have no comment as I personally believe it is rude to comment on something I personally have not heard or to pass scientific judgement on something whose principles I don't understand. So-called science fact changes as new theories replace old ones, so science is not written in stone. Also thats why I find this thread offensive and a veiled attack on audiophiles.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Not something I would try, however they do have a 30 day money back guarantee for more adventurous souls.

I have no comment as I personally believe it is rude to comment on something I personally have not heard or to pass scientific judgement on something whose principles I don't understand. So-called science fact changes as new theories replace old ones, so science is not written in stone. Also thats why I find this thread offensive and a veiled attack on audiophiles.

So exactly what opinion or idea can be expressed that isn't just a copying of what you consider appropriate audiophile ideas that is not an attack on audiophiles? You seem to think there is some well defined code and straying from it is an attack. Do you realize that leaves pretty much no room for independent thought?

You also might notice I didn't say the products don't work. I do find the tortured attempts for a pseudo-science explanation in the marketing rather funny. So the thread is meant for entertainment. The products may or may not work, but if they do some of them work for reasons other than is advertised.

"No comment" but you sure had to make one and attack esldude. It seems elsdude took the time and effort to understand some scientific principles and you are attacking him for it.

The second statement in your signature no longer applies when esldude comments in a thread.

As far as the thread topic goes:Coconut-Audio

Check out the job opportunities too.

Esldude since science is in a constant state of change I never make fun of anyone's explanation on how something works. And how do you know the reason something works is other than advertised? That is the height of arrogance in my humble opinion.

Have you ever read quantum theory? It is more bizarre than anything you will find in audio. So I find it best to not comment.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

"No comment" but you sure had to make one and attack esldude. It seems elsdude took the time and effort to understand some scientific principles and you are attacking him for it...

Please reread my post, I made no comment as I personally believe it is rude to comment on something I personally have not heard or to pass scientific judgement on something whose principles I don't understand. I firmly believe this!!

And I never attacked Elsdude or any scientific principles he believes in. I just take offensive at him attacking subjectivists in nearly every one of his posts.

I still love music.

Teresa

Please reread my post, I made no comment as I personally believe it is rude to comment on something I personally have not heard or to pass scientific judgement on something whose principles I don't understand. I firmly believe this!!

And I never attacked Elsdude or any scientific principles he believes in. I just take offensive at him attacking subjectivists in nearly every one of his posts.

I read it. And your signature. Doesn't fit.

I read it. And your signature. Doesn't fit.

I don't understand your response, please explain.

You accused me of commenting and I refuse to comment on any product I have not heard or make fun of anything whose operating principles I don't understand! I even stated I strongly believe this. You also accused me of attacking Esldude and never attack anyone, on the other hand Esldude attacks subjectivists in nearly every post he writes.

I only feel the need to post when objectivists such as Esldude go into attack mode. Posting is hard for me and I really don't want to post at all, if objectivists quit attacking subjectivists I can go back to what I enjoy, just reading the forum.

And what in my signature doesn't fit, it is 100% true.

So I don't understand your response at all.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa,

Since almost all of your recent couple dozen posts have been about subjectivists beset by objectivist attacks, why don't you start a thread to that effect? Discuss it, hash it out, air your complaints, whatever.

This was meant to be an entertaining thread, and not much more. You have turned it into yet another obs vs subs debate. If we can't even poke fun one way or the other, then this has become a mighty pitiful forum atmosphere. And I don't care if you want to blame me for that. That is fine. Just start all this in your own thread.

Have you ever read quantum theory? It is more bizarre than anything you will find in audio. So I find it best to not comment.

It is indeed quite strange and unusual, but the main point is it is very specific about predicting what phenomena can happen, and what cannot. For example, the entire periodic table not only can be explained, very simply and qualitatively, in terms of quantum mechanics, but it very specifically entails what is allowed and what is forbidden. For example, it predicts (and explains) that two hydrogen atoms combine to form a dimeric molecule of hydrogen, but that two helium atoms cannot do the same.

The "explanations" in audio-shyster advertising invoking quantum theory do nothing of this sort. They throw around a bunch of buzzwords to bedazzle those who don't have much of a background in the subject, but the claims are entirely vacuous bullshit that can explain nothing. It really is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

To paraphrase Noam Chomsky, it is a moral obligation for those with specialized training, to speak the truth and expose the lies.

We all have enjoyed the various quantum explanations, and other fantastical physics used by audio companies to explain how or why their products are better. So taking nominations for the best you have seen in 2013.

I nominate "Expectation Bias". A bad meme that has been marketed pretty heavily in this forum in 2013 :)

I nominate "Expectation Bias". A bad meme that has been marketed pretty heavily in this forum in 2013 :)

And what evidence do you have that it is a bad meme? Because I assure you, I can bury you with evidence it is for real.

Just in case you didn't know this CA people, from Coconut Audio, Mission statement and the Truth!!!!

Our goal is to make Earth a more peaceful place, there are two ways to do it.

1) By creating the most magical sound possible, so that people stay indoors listening to music, instead of commiting crimes outside. The reason people are angry is because their audio system sounds bad, we want to change this so everyone becomes happy.

2) Everyone becomes vegan. This restores our Earth to its original state while making everyone healthier.When combining our cables with the vegan diet, you will have an audio experience that's so magical it feels like you have entered Heaven.

And in case you don't believe in them, YOU WILL. Why? Because as they tell us:

Coconut-Audio is the world leader in audiophile products!

Exclamation point is mine.

Chris

Coconut-Audio is the world leader in audiophile products!

Chris

That's just one in a series from those guys. I would say it's more clever marketing than anything else. It's clearly tongue in cheek. You can take your pick of which cheek it is though, according to your "religion"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Good to see my personal favourites, Coconut Audio, getting an early mention. I see the latest version of their website includes a games section where you can enjoy playing "Skeptic Massacre" amongst other things. I have no idea if there's actually a proper game you can download but they have a youtube movie of the opening sequence (looks like a first person shooter with some edited graphics). The Skeptic Massacre titles read "You are enjoying your cables in peacefulness..." "But then skeptics come and disturb your peace". Then you get to blow them up (presumably while thinking peaceful and loving thoughts) with some scary looking weaponry.

The Coconuts also give a mention to another (now defunct) power cable maker, Virtual Dynamics...

"We resume where Virtual Dynamics left off. Their top of the line Genesis was $17k retail. Right before shutting their business down they sold us a better cable called Judge that retailed for $50k. Our entry level cables were better than that, which we gave away for free! But we didn't stop there, we wanted perfection so we took it many levels higher."

But not to worry, VD (heh) still live in the form of High Fidelity Cables who continue to fly the flag for magnetically assisted signal transfer. Here's a quote from their technology page High Fidelity Cables - Technology

"Installing a second or third CT-1 in the signal path further enhances the magnetic attraction and helps to pull the signal through the audio system"

Which reminds me of the trick where you impress kids by using a magnet under the table to move a metal object on top of the table.

I'm pretty sure that Coconut Audio is intended as satire. Not sure about Virtual Dynamics / High Fidelity Cables, suspect they might be serious. Good old UK tweak merchant Russ Andrews are definitely for real. I've even bought stuff from them! In their defence I will say that their cheaper stuff (i.e., the stuff I buy) has always been well made. However the higher you go up the price range the more extravagant and convoluted the language becomes. Here's something from their "GQ-Mini Ag" description GQ-Mini Ag : Kimber's GQ Mini range of interconnect...

"Kimber's GQ Mini range of interconnects use their super-effective four wire braid, which in our opinion lets you hear more detail and a clearer, more detailed sound. GQ-Mini Ag uses Kimber's purest silver to give a very effective connection from your iPod or MP3 player to your system."

It's a £400 analog interconnect to connect up your iPod headphone out to your hifi, btw, perhaps a tad overkill, no?

The specification tab explains that it has "GyroQuadratic cable weave for superior RFI cancellation". Now I think they've got in trouble from UK Advertising Standards because of similar RFI cancellation claims made about one of their mains cables, but for me it's the word "GyroQuadratic" that intrigues - wtf is it supposed to mean? Four wires braided together, I would guess (since that's what they put in the information tab) but clearly it's no ordinary bog standard four wire braid, it's a "GyroQuadratic" one, which any fule kno just has to be better, doesn't it?

Double post coming up, sorry.

Since Expectation Bias has joined the party I think it's only fair to invite his evil twin brother Lack of Expectation Bias. Meaning that sometimes you are so sure that everything in your system is working perfectly that you can (for a while) tune out some pretty drastic changes - think blown tweeters, balance control set to one extreme, that kind of thing.

If it is satire (Coconut Audio), they've certainly put a lot of effort into it--did you take a look at the Customer Photo Gallery? On the other hand some of the stuff sounds remarkably similar to....

It may be satire but they seem to be willing to take your money anyway. I clicked on the Pay button and it took me right to the real Paypal.

Chris

Since Expectation Bias has joined the party I think it's only fair to invite his evil twin brother Lack of Expectation Bias. Meaning that sometimes you are so sure that everything in your system is working perfectly that you can (for a while) tune out some pretty drastic changes - think blown tweeters, balance control set to one extreme, that kind of thing.

Love the Lack of Expectation Bias. I don't remember if I've experienced it with my audio system, but I know I've met it elsewhere.

Chris

You forgot to mention speaker banana plugs half out and touching,(thanks MOQ) or a high resistance RCA plug and socket connection. (embarrassed smile)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Teresa,

Since almost all of your recent couple dozen posts have been about subjectivists beset by objectivist attacks, why don't you start a thread to that effect? Discuss it, hash it out, air your complaints, whatever.

Actually a separate thread wouldn’t work as the comments have to go after the offending post to show why it was offensive.

There is nothing to hash out, if people start respecting other people then I would have no need to post, I prefer to just read the posts. But when the line of decency is crossed to such a severe extent I have to say something. So if you want me to post less start behaving in a civil manner to those who you disagree with.

I still love music.

Teresa