IGNORED

Best Recording To Demo Your System

I recommend Motown, Beatles, Mozart, Patsy Cline, Pink Floyd, Hayden, Joan Baez, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Alicia de Larrocha, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, Rolling Stones, Academy of St. Martins in the Field, Bob Dylan, Kings of Leon, John Coltrane, Vladimir Horowitz, Arthur Rubinstein, Martha Argerich, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ella, Louie, Nat, Miles, Max, Sarah, Count, Ellington, etc., etc., etc., et

Oh and of course "I can see clearly now" by Johnny Nash. If you don't find yourself singing along to it then the system isn't doing it's job.

David

My choice would be the Classic Records 45 RPM/single sided/200 Gram vinyl reissue of Stravinsky's Firebird ballet with Antal Dorati conducting the London Symphony Orchestra for Mercury Records. It is the best sounding commercial recording I've ever heard - bar none. It always leaves people speechless. Forget the Mercury CD or SACD of the same performance. They sound dull and tame by comparison. Wilma Cozart Fine remastered both the CD and the vinyl re-release, so I don't why the vinyl sounds so much more spectacular!

I'll get it. Thanks.

David

• 9 months later...

Glad this thread is back at the forefront. One recording that is amazing at showing how a system images is Roger Waters " Amused to Death". Everyone I play that for is floored it is nit multi channel and literally looks around for the side speakers when both the voice comes far left and the piano comes in far right. When the storm and thunder come from above most people just can't believe they are listening to stereo.

David

Yes indeed. And it is slated to be reissued in SACD by Acoustic Sounds - I already preordered it. The effect you hear is QSound. Madonna's Immaculate Collection - Vogue in particular - is quite spectacular in this regard.

Hendrix used it on his Electric Ladyland album also. Check out "and the gods made love" that kicks the album off in particular. It sounds like it's all around you then goes directly inside your head. Crazy effect.

David