IGNORED

Best Recording To Demo Your System

Please recommend a great recording to truly demo a system. Thank you.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

I think you need more than one song or CD to get a feel for the system. You need to test midrange, top end, bass, horns, low mid range, depth, and punch. I probably left out something. Some of the music may not even be fun to listen to but it is used as a reference.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Hi, for non-classical, I like the hires versions of: Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven, Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Steely Dan's Gaucho.

... these are

great recordings ... Thank you.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Gillian Welch's "The Harrow and the Harvest;" Rosanne Cash's "The List;" Ottmar Liebert, "Dune;" "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Strawberry Fields" from the Beatles' "Love."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud

How do you find The Beatles "Come Together"? Through my system it is very3D sounding.

Hi, for non-classical, I like the hires versions of: Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven, Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Steely Dan's Gaucho.

I like those very much too, and even the CD layer of "The Raven" can sound very good indeed through the right gear.

I also like the DVD-A rip from the Diana Krall 24/96 DVD-A, of "Temptation" and others without any format conversions or DL losses involved.

I must try Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. "Yello-Bostich (Reflected)" is absolutely stunning through the right gear including B&W800 speakers too.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• Any track from Alison Krauss + Union Station "Live" - crystal clear, beautiful bluegrass textures
  • Final track from Mahler's Symphony No. 2 - Dallas Symphony / Mata - only recording I've heard of this work that actually captures the 32' pipe when the organ comes in - plus I was in the chorus, so have fond memories ;)
  • "Looking for a Home" - Keith Greeninger from "The Blue Coast Collection" - will probably sound even better when I get a DSD-capable DAC instead of transcoding on the fly through Audirvana
  • "Crown Imperial" - Dallas Wind Symphony from "Crown Imperial" - beautifully recorded, features a perfect bass drum "thwack" several minutes in
  • "Niagara Falls" - Dallas Wind Symphony from "Crown Imperial" - again, beautifully recorded, with incredible color and vibrance
  • "Take Five" - Dave Brubeck Quartet from "Time Out" - everyone knows it ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I am unclear to the actual question. By demo, it could mean that which would challenge it seeking weakness or fault. The converse of course would be to display the strengths, presenting it in it's best light. ;)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

[*]"Looking for a Home" - Keith Greeninger from "The Blue Coast Collection" - will probably sound even better when I get a DSD-capable DAC instead of transcoding on the fly through Audirvana

It will. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud

How do you find The Beatles "Come Together"? Through my system it is very3D sounding.

I think it's all terrific - Beatles in 24/96 from the Martins, what could be wrong with that? I especially like the two I mentioned because they use less heavily produced alternate takes, allowing John and George's voices to come through very clearly.

Depends on one's tastes of course.

I like a number of those already mentioned.

Fiona Apple Tidal is good.

Loreena McKennit the mask and the mirror.

John Mayall Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton is very nice. I have the MSFL copy.

Buddy Guy Damn right i've got the blues.

Dead can Dance Into the labyrinth is certainly demo material though some may not care for it musically.

Bob Marley and the Wailers Exodus which I have in the MFSL version.

Jimi Hendrix First Rays of the new Rising Sun which has cleaner sound quality than most any other Hendrix.

Thomas Dolby Aliens Ate my Buick for some unusual fun all artificial sound.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is certainly demo material.

Almost any of the old Mercury Living Presence recordings with Antal Dorati.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Beautiful Love - Shirley Horne

Himalaya Soundtrack, Norbu and Nardi.

Tennessee Waltz - Chie Ayado

Misa Criolla -Jose Carreras

Semailla - Lila Downs

Anywhere on this road - Lhasa

Walking on the Moon - Yuri Honing Trio

Jazz Variants - Ozone Percussion Group

Gnomus- Mussorgsky

Swing low, sweet Chariot - Fairfield 4

Keith dont go- Nils Lofgren

Roxanne - Eu and Cris

Roadhouses & Automobiles - Chris Jones

No Sanctuary here - Chris Jones.

The "La Foglia" album

Chesky no 1 and 2 audiophile tester albums.

Lots of great music here but the way I think about it is; what would the person you are demoing your system to be most impressed by?

For me it is clear vocals that sound like the person singing is in the room with you - Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions is a go to for me along with Natalie Cole singing I can see clearly now.

Lots of great music here but the way I think about it is; what would the person you are demoing your system to be most impressed by?

For me it is clear vocals that sound like the person singing is in the room with you - Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions is a go to for me along with Natalie Cole singing I can see clearly now.

The Trinity Sesssion......Good suggestion. I left it off my list as I thought it was too commonly mentioned in magazines. Recorded in a large church, one Calrec Soundfield Ambisonic microphone straight to DAT. What you hear in the recording is said to be exactly that with no massaging of the original sound whatsoever.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just wondering, did you really mean Natalie or potentially Holly?

I recommend Motown, Beatles, Mozart, Patsy Cline, Pink Floyd, Hayden, Joan Baez, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Alicia de Larrocha, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, Rolling Stones, Academy of St. Martins in the Field, Bob Dylan, Kings of Leon, John Coltrane, Vladimir Horowitz, Arthur Rubinstein, Martha Argerich, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ella, Louie, Nat, Miles, Max, Sarah, Count, Ellington, etc., etc., etc., et

Oh and of course "I can see clearly now" by Johnny Nash. If you don't find yourself singing along to it then the system isn't doing it's job.

David

:D

A soundtrack I use as a test for vocal nuance expressiveness is "The Lion King - Be Prepared" but I'm sure that there are plenty of recorded music theater options here. Voice is the quickest way for me to zero on on whether a system solution is worth further evaluation. I also don't believe in "best recordings" to evaluate a system... a worthy candidate should allow you to hear more from all your recordings so use a mix of what you like to listen to, are most familiar with. I believe in also using an evaluation recording that exemplifies what sounds bad at home (you don't like to listen to it) because if the audition sounds good you may have found a cure for your home system weakness. Any solution that improves your bad or average mastered recordings is going to have broader impact for your listening enjoyment than a solution that only improves the best recordings.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

My choice would be the Classic Records 45 RPM/single sided/200 Gram vinyl reissue of Stravinsky's Firebird ballet with Antal Dorati conducting the London Symphony Orchestra for Mercury Records. It is the best sounding commercial recording I've ever heard - bar none. It always leaves people speechless. Forget the Mercury CD or SACD of the same performance. They sound dull and tame by comparison. Wilma Cozart Fine remastered both the CD and the vinyl re-release, so I don't why the vinyl sounds so much more spectacular!

George

My choice would be the Classic Records 45 RPM/single sided/200 Gram vinyl reissue of Stravinsky's Firebird ballet with Antal Dorati conducting the London Symphony Orchestra for Mercury Records. It is the best sounding commercial recording I've ever heard - bar none. It always leaves people speechless. Forget the Mercury CD or SACD of the same performance. They sound dull and tame by comparison. Wilma Cozart Fine remastered both the CD and the vinyl re-release, so I don't why the vinyl sounds so much more spectacular!

I'll get it. Thanks.

David

I have that on CD, and it is a very good recording. Don't have an LP rig myself, but maybe someday I can digitally record the LP version.

It is the best sounding commercial recording I've ever heard - bar none. It always leaves people speechless. Forget the Mercury CD or SACD of the same performance. They sound dull and tame by comparison. Wilma Cozart Fine remastered both the CD and the vinyl re-release, so I don't why the vinyl sounds so much more spectacular!

Perhaps it has something to do with your cd vs. vinyl playback system? Did you try ripping either or both the vinyl and cd/sacd and playing it/them back through the computer part of your system? That might answer some questions.

Chris