IGNORED

How High Can You Hear?

How high can you hear? Did you mean can you hear when you are high? :)

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

• 4 months later...
But inability to hear high frequency tones in a test does not mean you can't discern all sorts of detail and subtlety in music. Music is much more complex, has all sorts of overtones, etc. In addition, a lot of what audiophile "hear" is the result of trained listening. Even someone with younger ears and better hearing in theory won't hear some of what a trained listener hears - until he also trains his/her hearing.

BTW, I'm 56 and my hearing only gives out somewhere between 15 and 16K.

+1

And mine only goes to roughly 14 K. But I don't feel that I cannot hear as well as I once could. I can still hear minute differences in high-frequency presentation, like for instance, the quality of strings, and high-hat cymbals, etc.

George

I can hear up 14 kHz, but missing most of 10kHz range. I've been around a lot of guns and canons (Vulcan) and wonder if that might have damaged my 10 kHz range.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Thanks esldude, great test!

On my way down the hill at 48 ;-/

15kHz clear and loud, but not 16.

My rig better than ever before, what a paradox.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thanks esldude, great test!

On my way down the hill at 48 ;-/

15kHz clear and loud, but not 16.

My rig better than ever before, what a paradox.

How do you know? ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 months later...
My wife's voice (as well as a lot of female voices) fall within the frequency of sound I have difficulty hearing. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing :) but it caused enough problems at home and professionally that I ended up getting fitted for hearing aids. I was worried they would degrade my listening experience as described above. I worked with my audiologist tuning the aids over several weeks and was pleasantly surprised that they actually enhanced my listening experience for most music. My system, however, is fairly modest and not as revealing as some members' systems. I would be interested in listening to a nice system to compare the sound with and without the aids.

Yes this is an older thread , but, looks like I am headed toward getting hearing aids...

can you share what worked for you or you recommend?