IGNORED

Article: Magico LLC December 2013

Thanks, Chris. Enjoyed the article. Would like to have the same experience. Just finished off a great evening playing tunes for family and friends. Remain very happy with my Magicos!

It's hard to beat playing great music for family and friends on a great system. That's part of what life is all about.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ok, let me try to explain. The entire article reads like a marketing brochure to me. A well written one. By the way, I do not doubt that Magico is producing great speakers.

If you go through the paragraphs, one by one, this is how it reads. I will now phrase them more bluntly and exaggerate on purpose to make the point.

1. Magico builds the best speaker in the world

2. Overview of the company: Magico builds the finest products that is why they are so successful. The speakers are made of special wood that everybody raves about. They now had to move to new production facilities, because they are so successful.

3. Magico is using the highest quality parts to assemble their products and have high QC standards.

4. Description of the S3 and QSub (and of an "stunning" listening room), including pricing.

5. The 100k Magico products are worth the money (because of the points listed above).

The language of the article is filled with adjectives and superlatives. Just go through and mark them, you will be surprised. Again, its very well written but could be printed on glossy paper and distributed as sales brochure. And at the end I went away with the feeling that someone just tried to convince me why its ok to spend 100k (or even 600k) on THESE speakers.

In my opinion, I would have liked to see a bit more objective article describing pros and cons, not just the pros. When describing the company it would have been nice to see some comparison with other manufacturers. I bet that most of them have high QC standards and a "stunning" listening room. When describing the drivers, wood, anodization, what were the criteria for the selection, again, what the pros and cons. A "scratch resistance" can´t be the only criterion.

Just my 2 cents and MY opinion.

Johniboy - Thanks for expanding on your first comment.

Adjectives and superlatives are not a bad thing when deserved. If there is an inaccurate superlative I'll be the first to make a correction. I wrote the article and am not surprised by the number of adjectives when re-reading it one more time. I wanted to write a little Magico story along with my experience at the factory. If my creativity comes off as something that could be printed on glossy paper and distributed then so be it. Maybe I should enter a different career that actually pays :~) I wasn't interested in visiting several loudspeaker manufacturers and comparing and contrasting each business. I don't have the time right now to do a thorough job on such a piece. I like what Magico has done and I wrote about it. I like to share what I like with CA readers. A few months ago I wrote about Pearl Jam. Similar to Magico, Pearl Jam isn't all that computer audio related but I like to share things that bring me enjoyment. I hope CA readers can find some enjoyment in Pearl Jam and Magico.

I believe you're right that many have high QC standards, but few have a Klippel system. You're incorrect about the listening rooms of many manufacturers. I've visited many over the last several years and you'd be surprised at how un-stunning the rooms are compared to the Magico room.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Axe to grind? Why because I question the veracity of the claim of value when it applies to Magico? Sorry, I am not a sycophant of any equipment manufacturer, so if I question the use of value in describing Magicos then I guess I do have an axe to grind in that regard.

Few products at this end of the spectrum can be described as "value" products, including the products I own and enjoy. I haven't lost touch with reality as it seems some have. But that's me.

value |ˈvalyo͞o|

noun1 the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something:your support is of great value.• the material or monetary worth of something: prints seldom rise in value | equipment is included up to a total value of $500.• the worth of something compared to the price paid or asked for it: at $12.50 the book is a good value.

ORIGIN Middle English: from Old French, feminine past participle of valoir ‘be worth,’ from Latinvalere .

Value is relative. The price of a good or service is often quoted when discussing value, but it really doesn't have much do with value. I think percentage is a better marker. If I purchase a $300,000 Bentley Mulsanne for $200,000 and the BoM cost is $180,000 I'd say that is a value. Some people might suggest paying $200,000 for a car is preposterous but again, the price is irrelevant. Even if I paid full price for a Bentley Mulsanne I could still say it was a value. The number of zeros before the decimal point shouldn't cloud our judgement of value.

• 1 month later...
What is interesting to me is how very few speaker manufacturers publish polar frequency response plots for their speakers. Unless I am missing something, I can't find such a plot on the Magico site.

Do these cover what you're looking for?

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com | NRC Measurements: Magico S5 Loudspeakers