Sign in to follow this  
Moosbrugger

When You Listen, How Do You Listen?

Rate this topic

You guys are making this hobby into work. Why do you do this?

Only occasionally- like when I am contemplating buying somehing expensive, or tuning, or helping a friend. That kind of thing. And yep- it most definitely is work, one reason why I do not do this full time!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You guys are making this hobby into work. Why do you do this?

I'm sticking with Pete, music enjoyment. If it turns into work it's not enjoyment for me anymore.

The Truth Is Out There

I find it less and less pleasurable to listen while doing other things, unless they are truly mindless, or can be motivated by the music. Even then I'm not really listening to the music, it's more like I'm being played by it, or being subtly annoyed by it. It wasn't always like that.

So mostly I listen with attention. And often I sit back, and be it hard rock, meditative or chamber music, eventually I'll fall asleep (unless I don't sit back).

Sometimes when listening to classical music I'll read along in the score.

Chris

Three different modes of listening for me.

1) Sitting at my desk (to the side of my listening room and facing the rig) surfing and listening to background music - usually a random sort of mix. I do this a lot as I work from home (60% of my listening time).

2) Sitting and reading on the couch and listening to music. Still a somewhat random mix but usually chosen for good background listening and turned up a bit to get a bit more of an immerssive feel to it (30% of my listening time).

3) Attentive listening sitting on the couch. Usually this happens when something good comes onto the play list or that catches my attention while reading and then I get distracted from whatever I am reading and just enjoy the music. This also happens when I acquire something new (software or hardware)(10% of my listening time).

No matter the mode of delivery; live, desktop audio, high end audio, PA system etc, music embraces and envelopes me to the exclusion of all else.

Just curious if folks just sit back, perhaps with a beverage, and listen. Or is music generally background for reading, talking, doing chores, etc.

Depends... When I'm "listening" to music, I like lights out -no distractions (I live alone, so mercifully, the latter is not a problem at my house). When at my computer, I listen through an AudioQuest DragonFly, via a Napa Acoustic N208A 25W/channel hybrid tube stereo amp, to the matching pair of Napa Acoustic NA208S speakers. It sounds superb, but I consider that background music. Pleasant, but hardly serious listening. BTW, the little Napa system is the best sounding dedicated computer audio system I've ever heard. When reading in my favorite easy chair, in my living room, I often put on a good Internet radio station (for me that's usually KCRB in Boston. I think it's the best classical station in the USA - and it sounds pretty good too, for MP3). This too is casual, background listening unless KCRB is broadcasting a live Boston Symphony concert, then it's serious listening.

George

Just curious if folks just sit back, perhaps with a beverage, and listen. Or is music generally background for reading, talking, doing chores, etc.

all of the above!

When people listen: is it more passive, i.e., just sitting back and letting the sound hit you; or active, say, focusing on the bass/focussing on the accompanying woodwinds during a symphony; trying to listen for the high-end; etc.

Sometimes it's active; I like to follow particular lines or instruments. In the Goldberg Variations try to follow the voices. Some performers make it easier than others. It's an interesting way to compare performances/listen.

I also love to listen to bass players who interact with the lead, play off it and enhance it (IOW they don't just accompany).

And picking out lines in choruses. Here's where good recordings really come in handy. I could go on, but shall refrain.

Chris

Oh and one more thang (oh goody Chris has got more to say).

I turn off the volume on the TV and watch sports with music playing. Sometimes the music draws me in, other times the sport. But anything to turn off the over enthusiastic, verbose-plus, hard toned announcers and inane analysts (not all of them of course but way way too many of them).

By the way, for any other music lovers that might double as sports enthusiasts, try watching sports with the volume off (music playing or not) and you'll notice much more of what's really going on than when you've got that commentator in your ear. (I'm talking U.S. re verbose annoying announcers, I think they're not as bad in other parts of the world... yet.

Chris

The vast majority of the time, I turn down the lights a bit and just focus on the music from my listening chair, with no multi-tasking.

Occasionally, I will flip through a magazine while listening, but that is not as enjoyable.

Same as Blake for me but usually + beverage and it's sometimes just the liner notes or a book that I'm reading, most of the time nothing else though.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Normal listening I tend to just be sitting relaxing, maybe a beverage, maybe not... but a lot of the time I'm working on the computer (browsing on the Internet and/or "trying" to organize all my music, metadata and what not) from a laptop on my lap.

During something I want to really listen to, everything gets put away and I close my eyes and relax and enjoy. ...and try not to fall asleep as it's very relaxing and therapeutic.

As my system has gotten better, I've noticed that I listen at much lower levels and that's what really helps me to relax and sometimes fall asleep. lol