IGNORED

When You Listen, How Do You Listen?

The vast majority of the time, I turn down the lights a bit and just focus on the music from my listening chair, with no multi-tasking.

Occasionally, I will flip through a magazine while listening, but that is not as enjoyable.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Can't do multitasking. Classical music requires full attention.

Being a classical listener 90% of the time, I agree. However, I do make a difference between chamber music, which is appropriate for working and grand scale orchestral or vocal which I listen actively.

When I audition music equipment, I always do it with my eyes closed, so that the scene completely vanishes and the visual impact does not influence the judgement.

Just curious if folks just sit back, perhaps with a beverage, and listen. Or is music generally background for reading, talking, doing chores, etc.

Depends, it listening for pleasure always walking around, talking, doing other things. If listening for a specific reason reason, sit still centered between speakers.

Do very little serious listening. Really enjoy listening while cleaning, surfing, working, cooking, or whatever other tasks.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Exactly so! I do sometimes listen in another way as well, so I would add:

4. Critical listening, when evaluating something. This type of listening is not for enjoyment. In fact, it is hard work.

Generally I listen with my ears but if anyone has a better way I am all... ears...

I listen in 3 ways:

Background while doing stuff around the house

While at my computer, like i am now.

and in listening space with a beverage

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I listen to music most of the time. Even when I am listening to music as background, such as typing this thread I still have to stop occasionally and close my eyes when the good parts come on.

When I want to listen to music as the main event I turn the lights out and get comfortable in the sweet spot, perhaps a cup of coffee on the end table, which I sometimes spill in the dark, but it's worth it as to me as music sounds so much better without the use of my eyes. I notice the soundstage is larger, the music more realistic, the sound smoother and more ambiant in the dark with eyes closed. I listen this way several hours a day.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Exactly so! I do sometimes listen in another way as well, so I would add:

4. Critical listening, when evaluating something. This type of listening is not for enjoyment. In fact, it is hard work.

I hate the phrase "critical listening" I just like to enjoy the music. Maybe that is why I don't find the HUGE differences some others do. I do still find some subtle differences between DACS and software specifically. But only after enjoying the music with each different DAC or Software for a while.

No electron left behind.

The vast majority of the time, I turn down the lights a bit and just focus on the music from my listening chair, with no multi-tasking.

Occasionally, I will flip through a magazine while listening, but that is not as enjoyable.

+1 when listening on the main system in the living room.

Will also listen to J River playing back thru' my Monsoon speakers when at my desktop computer in the bedroom.

Critical listening, when evaluating something. This type of listening is not for enjoyment. In fact, it is hard work.

I do this when necessary. I agree with Paul that it is more akin to hard work than enjoyment. The concentration level demanded makes it very different from sitting back and just enjoying the music.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I like great sounds - music, movies and real life.

The roar of a V8, the thump of a M16 or great 1 cylinder bike. The vibes of a grand piano or the crisp dry sound of Miles' horn.

My rig is 5.1 surround and I use it for a wide variety of enjoyment:

1) Background music doing chores

2) Music while cooking

3) Music while at the computer - right in front of the speakers

4) Great movie sound

5) Imersive music enjoyment in stereo

6) Super imersive music enjoyment in surround

3-6 I sit right at the sweet spot.

4 I may occasionally have dinner

5-6 I do nothing but experience and enjoy, perhaps with a beer of single malt

I have a 2.0 rig for the kitchen in the making - same great speakers as my surround fronts: the fantastic Genelec 8260's.

I was planning to use them for the height layer in a Auro-3D 9.1 surround setup, but both movies and music are too few and far between so far.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Does no one else occasionally take notes while listening? I guess my major reasoning for this is because my system is constantly undergoing changes to the DSP/ EQ and I will often note anything that jumps out as incorrect or needs attention - which is often bloated bass. I take measurements via REW as well, but it can be hard to get the whole picture from just my measurements because I get lazy and bored playing frequency sweeps and pink noise.

I have in the past had a decibel meter on for my reference to try and prevent hearing damage and it is interesting for me to see the actual volume in numerical terms.

I usually have the lights off, blinds closed and my eyes shut with some kind of booze and/or coffee (aeropress), occasionally a snack, in my hand. Sometimes, depending on what I'm listening to, I'll have a print out of the lyrics or some story behind the music (most often with prog-rock or classical music).

Like digipete and others I also have speakers around my apartment for music while cooking/cleaning/dinner/and a somewhat nice pair for my desktop. I am still figuring out the best way to have everything reading music off of 1 source, but its hard for me to justify the expense when I've already installed digital/ analog and speaker cables all across the place.

I like great sounds - music, movies and real life.

The roar of a V8, the thump of a M16 or great 1 cylinder bike. The vibes of a grand piano or the crisp dry sound of Miles' horn.

My rig is 5.1 surround and I use it for a wide variety of enjoyment:

1) Background music doing chores

2) Music while cooking

3) Music while at the computer - right in front of the speakers

4) Great movie sound

5) Imersive music enjoyment in stereo

6) Super imersive music enjoyment in surround

3-6 I sit right at the sweet spot.

4 I may occasionally have dinner

5-6 I do nothing but experience and enjoy, perhaps with a beer of single malt

Holy smokes Pete, I agree with everything you have noted, but we differ in that I have a 7.2 HT rig and a 2.1 channel rig. Well said

The Truth Is Out There

Wow. I am impressed. I would love to have something like this in the not-too-distant future (ie while I still have some hearing). What is the last 0.1 in 7.2? Does this mean that you have two subwoofers?

Yes 2 subs. It's a custom built HT room ( with speakers built into the walls, in large chambers) with the following equipment; Denon 4311Ci, ATI 3005 amp, OPPO-105, BG Radia SA-360 (2) , (2) BGX-12B' (subs), (1) CC-400, SS-202 (4), BGX-A2 sub amp.

The Truth Is Out There

Isn't stereo anathema to you? :)

Surround is sublime

the more channels the better ;-)

but stereo can still be great

The Digital Provocateur

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”