IGNORED

Best way to modify tags in OSX

So during my conversion of my files I switched a setting midway and half of my collection I deleted the tags of my files. Unfortunately I do not have a windows machine anymore so I can not use mp3tag. Is there a equivalent for mac?

Right now all of the files are just in itunes with no tags, and if I could sort by path I could at least add artist and album tags.

*update*

so just got a software called crossover which lets you run a windows program in osx. I successfully installed mp3tag, but no aiff support! So at this point, I would obviously like a native osx program but a windows program that supports aiff tags would be fine too.

Did you originally rip the files in iTunes? If so you **may** be able to reget the tags from Gracenote as iTunes stores the IMDB ref. no. in the tag. Just select one or more files and (under advanced or right click menu) select Get Track Names.

Just beware it deletes any tag data you've changed - reverting it to Gracenotes orginal info.

Eloise.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"this would still require me to go in and rename every folder name in finder , I am nearly leaning towards converting my aiff to alac if there is no id3 editing software available."

Yes, I'm afraid it would. Sorry. I somehow had got the impression that your tracks were already organised in Artist/Album/TrackName format, in which case the script (or some variation on it) would have helped.

So after endless searching of every id3 tagger I could find, I have not been able to find one. I have also loaded the files into songbird, but I was not able to save the tags . I think I am going to convert the aiff to alac?? This is the only thing I can come up with. Not having tags is kinda tough to figure out what you want to listen to.

I'm still up for suggestions, but its looking like no aiff support for id3 taggers.

If I understand right, when you use finder, the files are correctly in...

~user/music/iTunes/iTunes music//

but in iTunes itself they have no information as to Artist / Album / Track Name?

If it's as I think then I can't see how converting to AiFF will help you.

Have you tried dragging a file into iTunes see if it picks up the tags?

Another thing to try is (make sure iTunes isn't running) then delete the iTunes library files leaving the .XML file. Ten restaet iTunes. Best to backup the file first.

Not sure if this will help but worth trying

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

"If I understand right, when you use finder, the files are correctly in...

~user/music/iTunes/iTunes music//

but in iTunes itself they have no information as to Artist / Album / Track Name?

If it's as I think then I can't see how converting to AiFF will help you. "

I actually said convert from aiff to alac, I was thinking this would be a good option because I could use mt3tag to modify the alac, In my position right now I really wanted everything in aiff but would much rather have my tags in alac.

Glad you've found a way to get your tags back - sounds tedious but not as tedious as if you'd had to rip everything again.

Hope I don't sound condesending as I'm as bad as the next person - but the moral to the story is that a good backup can be, if not a lifesaver, at least a sanity saver.

Eloise

Eloise

---