IGNORED

Good Sound card with external DAC...Necessarily???

Interesting in buying internal sound card for my PC and external dac for my system and quite confuse,

1. I'm fairly looking for ASUS STX internal sound card, which is not to costly and has a good reviewed. Is it necessary for me to have extra external DAC to connect to my AVR or PrePro? or ASUS itself did a fine job?

((I'm planning to connect via Coax to my Pre/Pro or extra external DACs))

2. Which external DAC would be recommended? Does CA DacMagic really done a good job out there? any other brand recommended?

thx

Are you looking just for 16/44.1 playback or higher resolution?

If you decide to get an external DAC, you won't need an upgraded internal sound card. Both of these do the same thing (conversion of digital signal to analog sound) but interface with the computer differently.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the ASUS unit, however, so I'm no help there.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I'm satisfied with a Cambridge DacMagic in a system of similarly valued components. In my experience it apparently does not have particularly good jitter rejection through USB (common adaptive mode) being fed from an XP based music server through a very high quality audiopihile USB cable. Coax SPDIF is significantly better (in my system) and performs well with 24/96 but I intend to go back to USB using a proper USB reclocker. Many features and in/out options. Very clean and clear, no grain, no fatigue after many hours listening. Needs hundreds of hours to burn in. I agree with the owners' consensus that it's a very good value at the $400 price point.

- Rand

I love to go higher resolution sound like (192khx) is this a max it can up to?

ok then now I know that I don't have to buy sound card if I decide to go for external DACS. So do I need something instead? like USB what, USB sound card?......now I"m using sound on board. so how to connect then???

Recommend me some good brand ???? what did you use ??

I agreed......there should be something particularly special about this Dacmagic , awarded 5 stars What Hi-Fi, in terms of price and performance.

So now if I decided to go for external quality DACs, I just kick off for usb sound card????? not internal sound card??

start to confuse

USB cable, did you mean I just simply connects one to computer and another one to external DACs?....that's it?

1. How can the program recognize the external DACs?

2. Is it true that connect via USB can only play max of 44hz? what if I want to move to 192hz

3. what if, I buy internal sound card which has Coax output to external DACs, do you think this one will more workable?

1. Just like a sound card man - how does the computer recognise that? Or any usb peripheral for that matter?

2. Not true. All depends on the particular DAC you're using and its capabilities.

3. Given your explanation of what you are trying to achieve, I would consider that a waste of money. Get a good DAC, it's an excellent device that your system can grow around... but then you haven't mentioned the rest of your system, which might help... more details the better your situation can be addressed.

If you are willing to spend the money (by used?), you might want to look at the Benchmark DAC1. It is one of the few DAC's that gets a high bit rate (24bit) stream out of your computer through USB. Most are 16bit.

You might want to go to the site, and/or give them a call. I've spoken to them and they are knowledgeable and very helpful. They should be able to answer all your questions.

I am a DAC!-Pre owner and I think it is a remarkable device.

Good luck.

shane

I am assuming that in your question, AVR or PrePro you mean an Audio Visual surround processor type device.

If this is the case, your first step would be to try connecting direct to the AVR via coax or optical output. The ASUS itself is not acting as a DAC - just an interface to the DAC within the AVR. Depending on the level of your other equipment, this maybe all you need and save you spending on a DACMagic.

It's best (IMO) to take things one step at a time if adding to existing system. You need to think first about what you like and dislike about what you have and the music it produces.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.