IGNORED

CD ripping: Naim Unitiserve vs XLD

les pako

Has anyone had a chance to compare the SQ between the two? I've been going back and forth for quite some time between the dedicated server approach vs Mac Mini Audirvana approach. I own mostly Naim gear: DAC with external PS, pre amp with external PS, and power amp. The dealer I use claims rips made through Unitiserve blow away a rip made in XLD.

Les

This is an objectively testable hypothesis. Rip the same track with Unitiserve and XLD/mac-mini. Convert both to wav. Compare the md5sums. I predict you will find the two files are identical, which then enables you to assess whether your dealer is being honest with you.

Ah, but as I don't own either I was hoping someone on CA would have done this already and could offer an opinion about sound quality. My dealer only claims that it is easy to hear a difference.

That is supposed to be the modus operandi of a Naim dealer. Seriously, your Naim dealer would most likely be happy to loan you a UnitiServe for a weekend so you could compare for yourself. Just remember that there is more to a UnitiServe than the fact that it rips CDs. It is a UPnP server and library manager also.

That's a possibility as I've already auditioned Naim gear at home courtesy of my dealer. Thanks.