IGNORED

CD ripping: Naim Unitiserve vs XLD

les pako

Has anyone had a chance to compare the SQ between the two? I've been going back and forth for quite some time between the dedicated server approach vs Mac Mini Audirvana approach. I own mostly Naim gear: DAC with external PS, pre amp with external PS, and power amp. The dealer I use claims rips made through Unitiserve blow away a rip made in XLD.

Les

The dealer I use claims rips made through Unitiserve blow away a rip made in XLD.

This is an objectively testable hypothesis. Rip the same track with Unitiserve and XLD/mac-mini. Convert both to wav. Compare the md5sums. I predict you will find the two files are identical, which then enables you to assess whether your dealer is being honest with you.

This is an objectively testable hypothesis. Rip the same track with Unitiserve and XLD/mac-mini. Convert both to wav. Compare the md5sums. I predict you will find the two files are identical, which then enables you to assess whether your dealer is being honest with you.

Ah, but as I don't own either I was hoping someone on CA would have done this already and could offer an opinion about sound quality. My dealer only claims that it is easy to hear a difference.

Take a look at the Naim forum and you will find multiple differing views from dealers, users and even some from employees of Naim itself.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The dealer I use claims rips made through Unitiserve blow away a rip made in XLD.

Unitiserve is a product suited exclusive for computer illiterate, not for anybody with a computer.

Naim Unitiserve will blow your bank account, that's all it will blow.

It may not suck, but your dealer sure does!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

les pako

I would ignore comments like the last one.

See "Ripping Yarns" by Malcolm Steward, p.19 HiFi Choice April 2009

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If your question is limited to ripping CDs only, then I would stick to XLD. While comparing checksums of two rips may give you some idea on the quality, With Naim you still wouldn't know how your rips compare to the AccuRip database which, if positive, is your best guess that you have a perfect rip. In addition, XLD offers additional functionalities and ease of use and management of metadata. With computer in general one has complete control over the process. I would recommend sticking to XLD for producing rips and use Naim as server/streamer.

Ah, but as I don't own either I was hoping someone on CA would have done this already and could offer an opinion about sound quality. My dealer only claims that it is easy to hear a difference.

Unfortunately I haven't, but in your shoes I would be tempted to take a couple of CDs to my dealer and ask if he'd be kind enough to rip them for me on the Unitiserve that I am considering buying from him. I could then take them home and compare with my own XLD rips, or take them to his shop and let him do a demonstration for me. If it's as easy to hear a difference as he says (and I like the difference) then I'll be a happy customer and he'll have a sale without even breaking a sweat.

Unfortunately I haven't, but in your shoes I would be tempted to take a couple of CDs to my dealer and ask if he'd be kind enough to rip them for me on the Unitiserve that I am considering buying from him. I could then take them home and compare with my own XLD rips, or take them to his shop and let him do a demonstration for me. If it's as easy to hear a difference as he says (and I like the difference) then I'll be a happy customer and he'll have a sale without even breaking a sweat.

That is supposed to be the modus operandi of a Naim dealer. Seriously, your Naim dealer would most likely be happy to loan you a UnitiServe for a weekend so you could compare for yourself. Just remember that there is more to a UnitiServe than the fact that it rips CDs. It is a UPnP server and library manager also.

David

That is supposed to be the modus operandi of a Naim dealer. Seriously, your Naim dealer would most likely be happy to loan you a UnitiServe for a weekend so you could compare for yourself. Just remember that there is more to a UnitiServe than the fact that it rips CDs. It is a UPnP server and library manager also.

That's a possibility as I've already auditioned Naim gear at home courtesy of my dealer. Thanks.