IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

This is a great album...

Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. ECM 2476

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32830[/ATTACH]

As a refererece Wolfert Brederode is the pianist on both the Sound Liaison's release "The Old Man And The Sea" and Susanne Abbuehl's albums for ECM.

Also great albums are his two other ECM's releases as a leader and in quartet format.

Thanks and enjoy,

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

@Musicophile -- loving this thread. it's still awesome three years later. been digging the alboran trio (especially meltemi), giovanni mirabassi (especially live at the blue note tokyo), and enrico pieranunzi (listening to live in paris right now).

http://www.tidal.com/album/11084291

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
@Musicophile -- loving this thread. it's still awesome three years later. been digging the alboran trio (especially meltemi), giovanni mirabassi (especially live at the blue note tokyo), and enrico pieranunzi (listening to live in paris right now).

http://www.tidal.com/album/11084291

All great stuff. I'm really disappointed that the Alboran Trio doesn't play anymore.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2017 at 0:04 AM, Musicophile said:

All great stuff. I'm really disappointed that the Alboran Trio doesn't play anymore.

Did not know that they have stopped playing.  

One of the real finds for me from this thread a few years ago.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

24 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

I hope you will read these lines with the same pleasure as I have done.

best wishes,
Uwe

Uwe,

Thanks for sharing that.  Great to see that they will be back.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

1 hour ago, alsterfan said:

This applies to me as well. So I dropped a line to Catalina, who seems to be in charge of the correspondence concerning the Alboran Trio. And this is the answer I got only an hour later:

"

Hi Uwe
Catalina sent me  your email. Many thanks for your interest in Alboran project. Its true that for longtime we had some problems but you have to know that new cd is close to be released. We hope in autumn.
As well we are working to renovate the website.
Check it for the next concerts

All the best

Paolo"

I hope you will read these lines with the same pleasure as I have done.
best wishes,
Uwe

Great! I'll buy it!

A set of different parameters influence me to pay attention to special music releases. Among these information about DR is also important to me. So with reference to the thread about dynamic range compression and what it does to our music:

I want to suggest to not only describe the music we want others to take notice of, but also add data about dynamic range of a special release.

Since the "Dynamic Range Database" quite often lacks information about music that I look for, it is a simple way

1. in the Windows world to get them by using foobar (http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/de/free-downloads)

2. With MacOS similar data can be obtained by using "DRC-Meter" (although the ranking has a different description as is explained here: http://www.pitchtech.ch/DRC-Meter/

As different formats could to a certain extent yield different DR data, flac could be a suitable format to agree upon.

In providing these data we have another parameter to decide if they suffice our SQ needs before digging deeper into the music.

Regards,

Uwe

4 hours ago, alsterfan said:

A set of different parameters influence me to pay attention to special music releases. Among these information about DR is also important to me. So with reference to the thread about dynamic range compression and what it does to our music:

In providing these data we have another parameter to decide if they suffice our SQ needs before digging deeper into the music.

Regards,

Uwe

Fortunately this genre of music lends itself to better recordings say from ECM or ACT.

I really haven't seen too many bad recordings in whatever I have in my collection.

The Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. (ECM) is a stellar DR 14 on most songs.

17 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

Fortunately this genre of music lends itself to better recordings say from ECM or ACT.

Well, Alboran Trio´s 2 CDs have been released by ACT. Nonetheless the average DR is 11 for both of them. Which to my taste is mediocre only.

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I really haven't seen too many bad recordings in whatever I have in my collection.

The Wolfert Brederode Trio: Black Ice. (ECM) is a stellar DR 14 on most songs.

Not necessarily. ECM tends to be quite good, but ACT has recently released some quite compressed albums. 

Another bad example is the latest Triosence which I will be reviewing shortly is a 9-10 DR affair, not as bad as some pop, but far from where they could be. 

5 hours ago, alsterfan said:

Well, Alboran Trio´s 2 CDs have been released by ACT. Nonetheless the average DR is 11 for both of them. Which to my taste is mediocre only.

As for Alboran Trio - just discovered them and listening to at the moment. Great music! Thanks to whoever mentioned them first. Ordering both  albums!

As for DR - I'd accept even slightly lower one (DR isn't all that matters to me) if other aspects of ACT SQ (soundstage, timbral richness smoothness..) were on let's say ECM or some audiophile labels level.

1 hour ago, Udayan said:

And it makes a huge difference...

I didn't say it doesn't make a difference. It's just that (as the author of the quote I've been using recently said) : 'Not everything that counts can be counted.'

22 minutes ago, Udayan said:

Good point.  High DR is of no interest if the music is bad, and or poorly mastered.

Hi Udayan,

In that you are right. But for me it is the other way round that matters (and that is why I made the above suggestion):

If the music is good poor DR could spoil it all.

15 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Not necessarily. ECM tends to be quite good, but ACT has recently released some quite compressed albums. 

Exactly. I love ECM sound for 40 years+ now, starting from LPs in 70s to modern hirez releases. Transfers of original ECM albums from 70s to CD format were hit and miss affair. What about ACT - when I see the abbreviation on a cover of an album I am loosing my interest almost invariably. Whether it is my sound system or something terribly wrong happens between my ears, but I can not listen to the sound from this label.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JoseL said:

Hi, 

Here is a Spotify playlist of selected tunes from many of the albums recommended on this thread. It is limitted to European jazz and some are not piano trios.

Thanks and enjoy,

https://open.spotify.com/user/joseldls/playlist/5mCzf0iUZL3GBW9kXKjPqr?si=SO2Hl31CQEK-k-MBK7b6Ng

Thanks Jose. Great initiative!