IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been listening to the trio work of Mulgrew Miller lately. A very talented pianist and composer. Sadly, Mr. Miller passed away two years ago from a stroke at the age of 57. He was a prolific recording artist, playing on literally hundreds albums as a sideman and as an accompanist with many big names in the jazz world. He also recorded a number of albums as leader or co-leader. I find these two albums to be most enjoyable.

mulgrew-miller-live-at-yoshi's-vol-2.jpg

Live at Yoshi's, Vol. 2 - Mulgrew Miller | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

mulgrew-miller-live-at-the-kennedy-center-vol-1.jpg

Live at the Kennedy Center - Mulgrew Miller | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

• 2 weeks later...
An amazing record has just been released.

„Now This“ is done by a new trio, each of the musicians however being well known for years or better to say decades.

Gary Peacock (his 80th birthday being only a few days back) has done this wonderful piece of music together with Joey Baron (dr) and Marc Copland (p). But it is not the kind of music alone that I find gorgeous, it is the very good work of ECM´s sound engineers too that highly pleases my ears.

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=391846

Regards,

Uwe

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18853[/ATTACH]

I concur, gorgeous album.gary peacock.jpg

I new I had it somewhere, dug up this old LP, it must be the main inspiration for the Witmer trio;

Downloaded this one yesterday on the Sound Liaison site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20722[/ATTACH]

It is a stunningly well recorded download, depth and placement and so well balanced.

And the music is lovely, melody first as it says in the liner notes;

Sound Liaison Music Shop

There is a Rad Bennett review here;RadsReferenceReviews | Rad Bennett…reviewing music and film for five decades

(normally they notify me of new releases but for some reason I did not get a notification, anybody...?).

• 2 weeks later...
May I add a few that you probably will not easily hear about:

Bernardo Sassetti Trio

Nocturno - Bernardo Sassetti | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

The late Sassetti...great trio, superb play, in a lyrical mood.

Here, playing "Motion", another great album

In Motion it's based on the trio, but not limited to it, as you hear other instruments and sounds, in a very evocative work of the motion pictures world...

Realizing this post is almost a year old now but I've recently started listening to Sassetti via TIDAL (finally) and I wanted chime in with a thank you for sharing. Yet another talented artist taken from us too soon unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

GoGo Penguin: V2.0

British Jazz Trio from Manchester. Have been enjoying the album immensely.

As the name suggests this is their second album. One of the better albums of the year.

310sIiwIMVL._SY450_.jpg

Review from All About Jazz: GoGo Penguin: v2.0

Thanks again Nikhil. I've just reviewed their latest release, see also here:

GoGo Penguin’s Man Made Object – The True Successor to EST? | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

and here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/gogo-penguin-man-made-object-24-44-a-27542/#post509849

Most welcome Musicophile!

Just read your review ... great info on the new album!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've been away from the forum for a while. I'm coming back as I realise that one of my favourite pianist, namely Mike Nock, has now a bandcamp page. One of his most recent recordings is a double CD with his trio and I consider it a masterpiece. The first cd has been recorded in studio, the sound is excellent as is the interplay between the musicians, and you can hear Nock's freer but still very melodic side. Every time I listen to it, I get hooked on the first track and can't stop. The second CD is a live recording, I was actually there in the audience on the day the recording was made, and it is a very good transcription of the evening, even if not everything that was played found its way on the cd. This CD explores the more upbeat, hard bop influenced side of Nock's music, it's very energetic and I'm sure you'll find yourself tapping your feet as you listen.

a2398594707_10.jpg

the album is there: https://fwmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/an-accumulation-of-subtleties, but I would recommend having a listen to Suite Sima too.

cheers,

Pierre

Hi again,

just thought that if you want to explore Mike Nock's music in trio, a good place to start after An Accumulation of Subtleties is his album for ECM, Ondas with Eddie Gomez and Jon Christensen:

0042282916129_600.jpg

which you can find here: Ondas | Mike Nock*– Download and listen to the album

Also his first two albums as part of the Three Out Trio with Chris Karan on drums and Freddy Logan on double bass, recorded in Australia have been reissued. I haven't heard the reissues yet, so I don't know how they sound. i suspect they are Vinyl transfers. They've been reissued on CD and on Vinyl as well.

6101-Move.jpg

6102-Sittin.jpg

they can be found here, on cd: The Three Out – Move | BE! Records The Three Out – Sittin’ In with The Three Out | BE! Records

and on vinyl: The Three Out – Move | BE! Records

The Three Out – Sittin’ In with The Three Out | BE! Records

On the B Side of Sittin In, The Three Out have invited some of their Aussie musos mates.

cheers,

Pierre

I was looking back at my previous post in the thread, this one: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/are-we-living-golden-age-jazz-piano-trio-18603/index4.html#post299997

I mention a label called sans bruit, they moved to Bandcamp, their page is there if anyone is interested: Music | Sans Bruit

Pierre

Thanks Pierre, will check them out!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read through the entire thread but I would like to suggest Rosset Meyer Geiger an another name for the list of great trios. I recently downloaded "Dreamer".

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1459195740.825989.jpg

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Hi again,

just thought that if you want to explore Mike Nock's music in trio, a good place to start after An Accumulation of Subtleties is his album for ECM, Ondas with Eddie Gomez and Jon Christensen:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24703[/ATTACH]

Pierre

Pierre, thank you for posting this one (which I didn't know). Very nice!

Best regards,

Guido.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! What a great record! Via Tidal.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 weeks later...