IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Just reviewed Helge Lien's latest album on my blog:

Helge Lien’s Badgers and Other Beings – A Scandinavian Trio to Watch | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Cover - Badgers And Other Beings.jpg

This is the profile of the 24/192, lots of ultrasonic noise, but sounds quite nice nevertheless. DR12-15.

01 Mor.flac_report.png

Downloaded this one yesterday on the Sound Liaison site.

witmer-trio-en-azul.jpg

It is a stunningly well recorded download, depth and placement and so well balanced.

And the music is lovely, melody first as it says in the liner notes;

Melody is king, and don't you ever forget it.

(Quincy Jones)

Cajan Witmer came up with the idea of recording a collection of songs, with the focus primarily on the melody and have every improvisation and embellishment being inspired by the song itself.

Witmer's almost vocal presentation of the melody and refined melodic improvisations, Slinger's lyrical touch and strong secure rhythmic feel combined with Kruiswijk's inventive drum patterns, which on some songs resembles 3 subtle percussion players instead of one drum set, are fulfilling the task admirably.

Sound Liaison Music Shop

(normally they notify me of new releases but for some reason I did not get a notification, anybody...?).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20722[/ATTACH]

It is a stunningly well recorded download, depth and placement and so well balanced.

Sound Liaison Music Shop

(normally they notify me of new releases but for some reason I did not get a notification, anybody...?).

Never heard of them, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing. I didn't get a notification either despite owning all of their releases

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20722[/ATTACH]

Sound Liaison Music Shop

I had a newsletter, on Saturday. Bought it on Sunday. Lovely album.

Please check your Junk mail folder. There was mine !

Roch

I eventually received an email from them. According to Frans de Rond, they put it up on the website for testing and sent the notices out the next day.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 2 weeks later...
+1. I very much enjoy this one a lot for the quality of both sound and music.

There is a Rad Bennett review here;RadsReferenceReviews | Rad Bennett…reviewing music and film for five decades

The trio sounds like it’s playing in a real space and is nicely spread between speakers with no exaggeration. The piano sound is perfect as is the sound of the many percussion instruments that are so imaginatively employed. The bass is solid

witmer-trio-en-azul.jpg

the many percussion instruments that are so imaginatively employed.
? I only hear a set drums, very well played, but as far as I can tell it is one musician playing.

But check the sample of track one; Sound Liaison Music Shop .............that is just a drummer no?

There is a Rad Bennett review here;RadsReferenceReviews | Rad Bennett…reviewing music and film for five decades

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20958[/ATTACH] ? I only hear a set drums, very well played, but as far as I can tell it is one musician playing.

But check the sample of track one; Sound Liaison Music Shop .............that is just a drummer no?

It is a trio playing, so the ''percussion instruments'' is just a drum set. Rad Bennett is more known for his reviews of classical music so he is excused. :)

Thanks for all the contributions in this great thread. It has been costing me a lot of money but also bringing me a lot of musical enjoyment. My favourite jazz trio album in recent months is Christian McBride's live at the Village Vanguard, which I find really great. On the other hand, I was not convinced by his "Out Here" studio effort.

Thanks for all the contributions in this great thread. It has been costing me a lot of money but also bringing me a lot of musical enjoyment. My favourite jazz trio album in recent months is Christian McBride's live at the Village Vanguard, which I find really great. On the other hand, I was not convinced by his "Out Here" studio effort.

Haven't checked out "Out here" yet. Thanks for flagging. There are some musicians who are just way better live than in the studio.

By the way, just reviewed Enrico Pieranunzi on my blog:

Bill Evans’ Heritage At Its Best – Enrico Pieranunzi’s Deep Down | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21131[/ATTACH]

I like this

5 stars (yes I know, again 5 stars, but rest assured, my blog so far just has a very heavy bias to the stuff I really like, it is really not that I’ll fork out 5 stars at every corner)

I prefer reading good reviews, if one does not like an album why write about it.

This is now on my list of albums to acquire. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20958[/ATTACH] ? I only hear a set drums, very well played, but as far as I can tell it is one musician playing.

It is a trio playing, so the ''percussion instruments'' is just a drum set. Rad Bennett is more known for his reviews of classical music so he is excused. :)

But one could argue that drums are

. the sound of the many percussion instruments that are so imaginatively employed.
I like this

I prefer reading good reviews, if one does not like an album why write about it.

This is now on my list of albums to acquire. Thanks.

If you can afford it, go for the 6 album box. $6 per album, and a lot of good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Remastered-Recordings-Enrico-Pieranunzi/dp/B003627ONK

P.S. Love the review:

"Four StarsBy ron conrad on May 17, 2015

Verified Purchase

I'm just listening now so can't form an opinion yet"

Maybe I should do the same on my blog, just fork out stars without listening.

Hi Boris,

Just downloading (chez Qobuz) "Live at the Village Vanguard", I like very much "Out Here", but couldn't compare until listen to the new one.

What I feel is live recordings always have an special charm, because musicians expose his soul in a presence of an audience, no matter if there is some ambience noise (or other technical issues), the 'music transmission' is incredible live...!

Best,

Roch

Hi Boris,

Just downloading (chez Qobuz) "Live at the Village Vanguard", I like very much "Out Here", but couldn't compare until listen to the new one.

What I feel is live recordings always have an special charm, because musicians expose his soul in a presence of an audience, no matter if there is some ambience noise (or other technical issues), the 'music transmission' is incredible live...!

Best,

Roch

By the way, I've just posted the spectrum plot of "Live" here, looks legit:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/christian-mcbride-live-village-vanguard-24-96-a-25942/