IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Wow. That is quite depressing.

We might be in the middle of the golden age of the trio, but it looks like the members of jazz trios are starving.

I hope it is not the same in Europe.

I don't have figures but while the Jazz club scene in some cities is still alive, sales probably are not much better

I don't have figures but while the Jazz club scene in some cities is still alive, sales probably are not much better

It's sad . Great musicians are not being heard . While I don't believe everything in the movie Whiplash , when the teacher says that Jazz for most people has diminished to a Starbucks jazz offering , I firmly believe that .

Wow. That is quite depressing.

We might be in the middle of the golden age of the trio, but it looks like the members of jazz trios are starving.

I hope it is not the same in Europe.

I have found this link to sales data from 2013 (article in German) which has Jazz at 1.8% of worldwide album sales, way even behind classical. Access to the whole article is not free so I don't know the source.

I have found this link to sales data from 2013 (article in German) which has Jazz at 1.8% of worldwide album sales, way even behind classical. Access to the whole article is not free so I don't know the source.

I wonder how these artists manage to survive. Do they have a second job, or do live gigs pay enough to scrape a living? I hope they are doing better with streaming revenue.

Since they are not doing for the money, it makes me appreciate their albums even more since they are playing jazz for the love of the music.

I wonder how these artists manage to survive. Do they have a second job, or do live gigs pay enough to scrape a living? I hope they are doing better with streaming revenue.

Since they are not doing for the money, it makes me appreciate their albums even more since they are playing jazz for the love of the music.

To my understanding, teaching and live gigs often make the difference.

These are from "Contemporary Jazz". The albums are recent releases. Again, mostly piano trios with an exception here and there.

The artists on these two lists are included due to the fact that they are exceptionally talented (IMO), because they are playing original compositions, or because they were in the zone when they made these recordings.

Aaron Choulai - Ranu

Aaron Diehl Trio - Live At The Players

Abraham Barrera - Ocaso

Adrian Frey Trio - Microcosmos

Alan Pasqua - My New Old Friend

Alan Broadbent - You And The Night And The Music

Aldo Romano - African Flashback

Alex Hutton Trio - Cross That Bridge

Alexi Tuomarila Trio – Constellation

Alfio Origlio - Rircordo

Alon Yavnai - Travel Notes

Anders Aarum Trio - The Lucky Strike

André Ceccarelli - Twenty

Armen Donlian, Audun Kleive, Carl Iversen - Trio '87

Abe Rábade Trio - VerSons

Benjamin Schaefer Trio - Leaves Like Snow

Benny Lackner Trio - Not The Same

Bill Swann - Three

Bill Carrothers - Shine Ball

Billy Hart, Dan Tepfer, Joe Martin - Foreign Territory

Bob Gullotti - Planet Safety

Bob Mamet Trio - Impromptu

Bojan Z - Xenophonia

Brian Piper Trio - Terrrriffic!

Carl Winther Trio - Contact

Carsten Dahl, Mads Vinding, Alex Riel - In Our Own Sweet Way

Cesare Picco - My Room

Chad Lawson Trio - Unforeseen

Chris Minh Doky - Cinematique

Close Erase - No. 2

Contrast Trio - Zwei

Dag Arnesen - Renascent

Dan Cavanagh Trio

Daniel Freedman - Daniel Freedman Trio

Dave Peck - 3 and 1

David Kikoski - Consequences

Diederik Wissels Trio - Tender Is The Night

Edgar Knecht - Good Morning Lilofee

Ehud Asherie - Swing Set

Einar Iversen - Me And My Piano

Eliot Zigmund - Long distance

Emil Brandqvist Trio - Breathe Out

Enrico Zanisi with Joe Rehmer, Alessandro Paternesi - Life Variations

FM Trio - Moment

Francois Ingold Trio - Fat Free

Frank Woeste Trio - Mind At Play

Gabriele Pezzoli Trio

George Colligan - Living for the City

Gerald Clayton - Two-Shade

Gordon Johnson - Trios Version 3.0

Graden, Agnas, & Fernqvist - Cembra

Greg Burk - Ivy Trio

Gwilym Simcock - Reverie At Schloss Elmau

Helge Lien Trio - To the Little Radio

Hutchinson Andrew Trio - Music Box

Ismael Dueñas - Diversions

Jamie Reynolds Trio - Time With People

Jay Epstein - Easy Company

Jay Lawrence Trio - Thermal Strut

Jean-Philippe Viret - Le Temps qu'il faut

Jeff Boudreaux - Casa Dolce Casa

Jeff Hamilton Trio - Red Sparkle

Jessica Williams Trio - Inventions

Jim Black, Thomas Morgan & Elias Stemeseder - Actuality

Jim Watson Trio - The Loop

Joe LoCascio - In The City Of Lost Things

Jon Scott - Songs from the Procol Harum Book

Joona Toivanen -November

Joserra Senperena - Dardaren Interpretazioa

Juan Sebastián Vázquez, Arturo Valero & Guillermo McGill - Lluvia De Mayo

Julia Hülsmann, Marc Muellbauer & Rainer Winch - Trio

Julian Waterfall Pollack Trio - Waves of Albion

Kari Ikonen Trio

Kerem Görsev - Kerem Görsev

Lekverk - 21st Century Jump

Lynne Arriale - Come Together

Majamisty Trio - Love

Marco Mezquida - My Friend Marko

Marc Copland - Night Whispers - New York Trio Recordings Vol. 3

Martin Ehlers - Swedish Moment

Martin Sasse Trio - European Standard Time

Mauro Gargano - So, Now

Michel Benita - Dream of the Camel

Michel Bisceglia - Singularity

Misinterprotato - Now For The Free

Trio Montmartre - Scandinavian Reminiscence

Musicmusicmusic - Everybody Digs

Nikolaj Hess - Trio

Nikolaj Bentzon - Nexus

Oddjob - Koyo

Our Park - If Not For You

Paolo Birro - Un Bacio A Mezzanotte

Phil DeGreg - Down The Middle

Pieter de Graaf - Introducing Pieter de Graaf

RGG - Unfinished Story

Ramberto Ciammarughi - New Music for Trio

Ramón Ángel - 7 Mujeres

Randy Halberstadt - Parallel Tracks

Riccardo Arrighini Trio - Cambio di Marcia

Robert Rook Trio - Incompleteness

Roberto Tarenzi - Involvingevolvingrevolving

Roberto Olzer Trio - Steppin'out

Roger Davidson Trio - We Remember Helen

Ron Davis Trio - Mungle Music

Ron Thomas Trio - Doloroso

Sabin Todorov Trio - Inside Story

Sébastien Paindestre Trio - Parcours

Sergi Sirvent - Munchies. Unexpected

Sherrie Maricle Trio - Never Never Land

The Splendor - Forest

Steve La Spina - ETC

Terje Gewelt, Anders Kjellberg & Enrico Pieranunzi - Oslo

Thijs Cuppen Trio - Homeground

Thomas Fonnesbæk - Sound of My Colors

Tim Lapthorn - Natural Language

Toby Koenigsberg Trio - Sense

Torsten Krill - Time Makes The Tune

Trio Ceg - Relativ Attraktiv

Trio August - EP

Vigleik Storaas Trio - Bilder

Wolfgang Maiwald Trio - The Silent Ones

Yoko Miwa - Canopy of Stars

Ziv Ravitz - Images From Home

Have started going through this list. So far have heard Aaron Diehl, Bob Mahmet, Julia Hülsmann, Jeff Hamilton & Helge Lien, so much more to do.

I'm just curious you don't have Shai Maestro in your list. I really like the guy and just wrote about him on my blog. His drummer is Ziv Ravitz (you have him in the list above): Shai Maestro – This Avishai Cohen Alumni Will Go Places | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Have started going through this list. So far have heard Aaron Diehl, Bob Mahmet, Julia Hülsmann, Jeff Hamilton & Helge Lien, so much more to do.

I'm just curious you don't have Shai Maestro in your list. I really like the guy and just wrote about him on my blog. His drummer is Ziv Ravitz (you have him in the list above): Shai Maestro – This Avishai Cohen Alumni Will Go Places | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

I have both his albums, and I'm waiting to buy his new one. I didn't put him on the list because he had already been mentioned in this thread. I didn't know he was discovered by Cohen...and I didn't know Cohen was discovered by Corea.

I didn't know he was discovered by Cohen...and I didn't know Cohen was discovered by Corea.

Some nice reading:

In 1997 a call from Chick Corea changed everything. Avishai had passed one of Corea’s friends a demo tape without particular hope of being noticed. Chick listened to it in his car and called Avishai back a few weeks later, blown away by its freshness. As a member of “Chick Corea’s New Trio” and a co-founder of Corea’s ensemble, “Origin”, for over six years Avishai became an integral part of Chick’s music and received the opportunity to fine-tune his skills as a bassist and composer. Performing with Chick Corea played an important part in shaping his musicianship, which led Avishai to consider Chick as a teacher, colleague and friend.

(avishaicohen.com/avishai-cohen/)

After graduating high school, I kept debating with this question of where to go and what should be my next step. That’s when I got a phone call from Avishai Cohen. Avishai called me and said he was looking for a piano player for his trio. After overcoming the initial shock, I realized that this was a once in a life opportunity and I literarily moved in to my practice studio. I ate there and slept there next to the piano, preparing for my ‘audition’ with Avishai”

(shaimaestro.com/about/biography/)

I seem to recall someone mentioning Kekko Fornarelli in this thread somewhere. I have just found him! I've ripped both 'Room full of mirrors' and 'Outrush' from CDs. On the outrush rip, to my ears several of the tracks appear to be distorted, especially the second half of track five, 'what kept you so late'. I don't have the facility to play the cd natively and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this. I tried ripping it in XLD and dbPoweramp both rips have the issue and now wondering if I should try and return the cd for a refund as it detracts somewhat from the overall listening experience.

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seem to recall someone mentioning Kekko Fornarelli in this thread somewhere. I have just found him! I've ripped both 'Room full of mirrors' and 'Outrush' from CDs. On the outrush rip, to my ears several of the tracks appear to be distorted, especially the second half of track five, 'what kept you so late'. I don't have the facility to play the cd natively and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this. I tried ripping it in XLD and dbPoweramp both rips have the issue and now wondering if I should try and return the cd for a refund as it detracts somewhat from the overall listening experience.

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just listened to the track on Apple Music. There is distortion, but I think it is intentional. Kekko is doing an EST impression of sorts.

• 2 weeks later...

The situation looks different in France. According to the SNEP (Some French record companies association) web site SNEP - Syndicat National de l'edition Phonographique, 2013 recorded music sales in France were 4 % jazz and 7.2. % Classical

This is in page 38 of a pdf document called "Economie de la Production Musicale – Edition 2014"

The situation looks different in France. According to the SNEP (Some French record companies association) web site SNEP - Syndicat National de l'edition Phonographique, 2013 recorded music sales in France were 4 % jazz and 7.2. % Classical

This is in page 38 of a pdf document called "Economie de la Production Musicale – Edition 2014"

"As illustrated above, Jazz was the only genre to have its digital album sales decline, year-on-year, between 2011 and 2012."

A question that I had after reading this was from a data collection perspective, did the survey capture ALL digital download outlets, particularly ones that jazz listeners frequent? Although the 800 lb gorilla might be iTunes, it "could" be statistically significant to the survey results that HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds be included with others.

I'm really glad the situation in Europe is better. I was kind of hoping for this, but good to see it confirmed.

"As illustrated above, Jazz was the only genre to have its digital album sales decline, year-on-year, between 2011 and 2012."

A question that I had after reading this was from a data collection perspective, did the survey capture ALL digital download outlets, particularly ones that jazz listeners frequent? Although the 800 lb gorilla might be iTunes, it "could" be statistically significant to the survey results that HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds be included with others.

The data is collected by Nielsen, no idea if they capture HDTracks and the other highres outlets. In any case, this data was from 2011-12, where highres barely started, I'd suspect these sites to show more growth 2012-13 (but am purely speculating here).

Musicophile,

Are you familiar with the jazz scene in Berlin? I'm new here from the U.S. and would like to start checking some places out. In New York I preferred cozier and less fancy venues like Smalls, but I'm opened to whatever has the best music.