IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, JoseL said:

ECM Jazz Piano Trios: A Playlist

Here is a playlist of selected tracks (one per album) from all the jazz piano trio albums released by ECM to date.  To the best of my knowledge they are in (close) crhonoligic order.  Only piano, bass and drums trios are included.

Please let me know if you find that I missed any.

Enjoy,

ECM Jazz Piano Trios

I see 30 songs in your list. If this is all, then ECM has many piano trios which are not included in your list. It might be an effort to name all. Just a few pianists who recorded in trio format from a head - Masabumi Kikuchi, Julia Hulsmann, Tord Gustavsen, John Taylor, Stefano Battaglia, etc., etc. You may want to look on a complete list of ECM releases.

I see 30 songs in your list. If this is all, then ECM has many piano trios which are not included in your list. It might be an effort to name all. Just a few pianists who recorded in trio format from a head - Masabumi Kikuchi, Julia Hulsmann, Tord Gustavsen, John Taylor, Stefano Battaglia, etc., etc. You may want to look on a complete list of ECM releases.

I am not sure why you are seeing only 30 songs. The list contains 86 tracks and the artists you mentioned are included. That is a very close to all the jazz piano trios that ECM has released to date, number that I have checked agaist a few on-line, seemingly complete ECM discographies. Give or take three or four albums, I happen to own all of them.

JoseL

7 hours ago, JoseL said:

I am not sure why you are seeing only 30 songs. The list contains 86 tracks and the artists you mentioned are included. That is a very close to all the jazz piano trios that ECM has released to date, number that I have checked agaist a few on-line, seemingly complete ECM discographies. Give or take three or four albums, I happen to own all of them.

Your link opens a web page which lists 30 songs – see picture below. Ok, 86 tracks would include more trio recordings. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.18.52.png

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Your link opens a web page which lists 30 songs – see picture below. Ok, 86 tracks would include more trio recordings. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 10.18.52.png

The link works fine on my end. Perhaps an account is necessary. Do you have a Spotify account? What about Apple Music? I can post a link to the playlist on that too. On the other hand I don’t have a Tidal account.

JoseL

18 minutes ago, JoseL said:

The link works fine on my end. Perhaps an account is necessary. Do you have a Spotify account? What about Apple Music? I can post a link to the playlist on that too. On the other hand I don’t have a Tidal account.

I do not have Spotify account, but I guess with list of 86 items you should have most if not all of ECM trios listed. At least those which are available now.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The career of pianist/composer Kari Ikonen is full of contrast. Following the ‘ultra-positive’ afro-pop-jazz project Trio Troffa and the space fusion of Ikonostasis he returned last year with an album closer to his Finnish roots: Wind, Frost and Radiation, in which he conveys the biting cold and the inhumanity of the threatened Finnish landscape. Still, the music is less unforgiving than the title suggests, with room for melody and beauty.

Enjoy the video :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...