IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

+1 for Marcin Wasilewski Trio, but with the January preference - better sonics and more relaxed performance IMHO. Been listening him over few day lately.

Marcin Wasilewski Trio:

o Faithful

o January (****)

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

+1 for Marcin Wasilewski Trio, but with the January preference - better sonics and more relaxed performance IMHO. Been listening him over few day lately.

Marcin Wasilewski Trio:

o Faithful

o January (****)

By the way, I forgot to mention the 2004 debut "Trio", also on ECM. Probably because it is my least favorite of the three.

This is an outstanding thread. I've just discovered a ton of new music that I would never have heard of. Some outstanding pieces in here that have just been playing non-stop in my setup since I got on here a few days ago.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

What a great thread! I've been listening to Alboran Trio; it's fantastic. Only "Meltemi" is available on MOG. "Near Gale" is not. Just dropped a pretty penny at Amazon for these two CDs. Too bad a hi-res download isn't available. Musicophile, you've put me on a lot of good music that I otherwise would not have known about. Thanks!

Jeff

What a great thread! I've been listening to Alboran Trio; it's fantastic. Only "Meltemi" is available on MOG. "Near Gale" is not. Just dropped a pretty penny at Amazon for these two CDs. Too bad a hi-res download isn't available. Musicophile, you've put me on a lot of good music that I otherwise would not have known about. Thanks!

+1

Wallet lighter. Mission accomplished! Great suggestions.

This is an outstanding thread. I've just discovered a ton of new music that I would never have heard of. Some outstanding pieces in here that have just been playing non-stop in my setup since I got on here a few days ago.

I couldn't agree more. I've been listening to material I discovered here all day. I landed on this thread again for more searching and it's been successful.

Thank you!

Let me add my voice to the chorus: thank you so much for this thread. Jazz piano trio is my favorite, and I've heard of very few of these - really enjoying checking them out via MOG!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

the new Bobo Stenson album,Indicum,is his most beautiful and melodic album so far.

highly recommended.

4eeff8e9f7244df11aef8e4030e9f549.jpg

+1 for performance, but sonics little bit dull for me without feelings of the space.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Just took delivery of "Architectures" by the Giovanni Mirabassi Trio.

On the recommendation of Musicophile, I ordered it unheard. It wasn't available on MOG for a test drive. Ordered the CD through Amazon, from a 3rd party, across the pond a few days ago. Pleasantly surprised at how soon it arrived. Anyway, just finished ripping it, and am listening through the headphones as I write this. Outstanding! Once again, this thread is giving me lots of good music that I otherwise would not have known about. Thank you!

I have more on the way! Muhwahahahahaha! (Mad scientist laugh!)

Jeff

On the recommendation of Musicophile, I ordered it unheard. It wasn't available on MOG for a test drive. Ordered the CD through Amazon, from a 3rd party, across the pond a few days ago. Pleasantly surprised at how soon it arrived. Anyway, just finished ripping it, and am listening through the headphones as I write this. Outstanding! Once again, this thread is giving me lots of good music that I otherwise would not have known about. Thank you!

I have more on the way! Muhwahahahahaha! (Mad scientist laugh!)

I'm still surprised amazing artists like the Alboran Trio and Giovanni Mirabassi don't get more international press attention. Maybe being Italian doesn't help. But anyhow, I'm glad others start to appreciate them.

And to give credit where credit belongs: I myself discovered Mirabassi on this forum following a recommendation by Alex (27Globes).

Do give "Out of Track" a listen. Outstanding work in my opinion.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I'm still surprised amazing artists like the Alboran Trio and Giovanni Mirabassi don't get more international press attention. Maybe being Italian doesn't help. But anyhow, I'm glad others start to appreciate them.

And to give credit where credit belongs: I myself discovered Mirabassi on this forum following a recommendation by Alex (27Globes).

Couldn't agree more. Have been listening to these guys almost non-stop. Liked it so much I passed on the list to a few friends.

Don't worry ... the list is growing!

In addition to:

• Julia Hülsmann Trio: Imprint

• Brad Mehldau: The Art of the Trio 1-4 (purchased used on Amazon)

I also purchased:

• Shai Maestro Trio

• Enrico Pieranunzi: Deep Down

• Enrico Pieranunzi: Ballads

They have all been in constant rotation and I'm honestly thrilled with each one. I can't even say I have a favorite but I'm fast becoming a Mehldau and Pieranunzi fan. Next up will be Mirabassi I believe, although I can't seem to find "Architectures" at a reasonable price. I wanted to start with that particular recording because it seems to be a favorite here .. another recommendation would be helpful :)

Edit: Mirabassi's "Live at the Blue Note Tokyo" or "Out of Track" possibly (thought I should check the original post again, thanks Musicophile).

In addition to:

• Julia Hülsmann Trio: Imprint

• Brad Mehldau: The Art of the Trio 1-4 (purchased used on Amazon)

I also purchased:

• Shai Maestro Trio

• Enrico Pieranunzi: Deep Down

• Enrico Pieranunzi: Ballads

They have all been in constant rotation and I'm honestly thrilled with each one. I can't even say I have a favorite but I'm fast becoming a Mehldau and Pieranunzi fan. Next up will be Mirabassi I believe, although I can't seem to find "Architectures" at a reasonable price. I wanted to start with that particular recording because it seems to be a favorite here .. another recommendation would be helpful :)

Edit: Mirabassi's "Live at the Blue Note Tokyo" or "Out of Track" possibly (thought I should check the original post again, thanks Musicophile).

Architectures is indeed difficult to find as it is one of his early discs and seems to be out of print, therefore you may have to pay crazy prices (right now $50 and more on Amazon.com). As much as I like this album (my personal favorite from Mirabassi), this is just nuts.

His more recent trio albums like Terra Furiosa, Live at the Blue Note Tokyo, and Out of Track are a bit easier to find (e.g. on Qobuz) and also really good.

The more I think about it, the relatively poor availability (which is really stupid in the times of modern download sites) of the albums by Mirabassi and the Alboran Trio, especially outside of Europe, probably contributes to their lack of reputation.

Architectures is indeed difficult to find as it is one of his early discs and seems to be out of print, therefore you may have to pay crazy prices (right now $50 and more on Amazon.com). As much as I like this album (my personal favorite from Mirabassi), this is just nuts.

His more recent trio albums like Terra Furiosa, Live at the Blue Note Tokyo, and Out of Track are a bit easier to find (e.g. on Qobuz) and also really good.

The more I think about it, the relatively poor availability (which is really stupid in the times of modern download sites) of the albums by Mirabassi and the Alboran Trio, especially outside of Europe, probably contributes to their lack of reputation.

By the way, you can listen to his albums in streaming on Mirabassi's own website, e.g.:

Giovanni Mirabassi

Listening to Alboran Trio as we speak on MOG as well. Great album. Making work a lot easier!

By the way, you can listen to his albums in streaming on Mirabassi's own website, e.g.:

Giovanni Mirabassi

One comment from my side - Architectures are the outstanding piece of work! What a discovery!

--

Krzysztof Maj

I may add to this thread:

Stefano Battaglia Trio - The River of Anyder

Stefano Battaglia Trio - Songways (****)

Snip from http://player.ecmrecords.com/stefano-battaglia-trio:

Battaglia’s canvas is broader than ‘jazz’, and he has always drawn influence also from arts beyond music. Some of the allusions here: “Ismaro”, or Ismarus, is the city Odysseus attacks in Homer’s account of his long journey home. The “Mildendo Wide Song” is, Battaglia says, inspired by Jonathan Swift’s description of the capital of Lilliput in Gulliver’s Travels. Title track “Songways” pays homage to Italo Calvino’s Invisible Cities, and “Armonia” takes its cue from Charles Fourier’s utopian Theory of The Four Movements, while “Abdias” is named for the novella by Adalbert Stifter. The free floating “Vondervotteimittis” alludes to the clock-obsessed town in Edgar Allan Poe’s The Devil In The Belfry. “Monte Analogo”, Mount Analogue, is the title and destination of Renée Daumal’s surrealist book. “Perla” is a city in Die Andere Seite (The Other Side) the novel by Austrian expressionist illustrator Alfred Kubin. And the “Babel Hymn”, of course, references the Genesis story of the Tower of Babel and God’s confounding of the Earth’s language. These are amongst the sources that fire Stefano Battaglia’s imagination.

--

Krzysztof Maj