IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Still working my way through this thread ( thanks Musicophile !!!!!). Love my Shai, Edgar, and of course Triosence. I am also enjoying my Anat Fort as well. I am a little disappointed in my Stefano Battaglia - I think it leans too much in that "impressionistic" jazz direction where any real sense of rhythm and melody/harmony seems to get lost (sounding at times a bit incoherent, like a really nice playback of wind chimes).

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Emie R Roussel Trio (I only have the album Quantum - warning: she plays an electronic piano and/or synth on a couple of tracks). I also really like Marialy Pacheco's "Introducing", though she is not strictly trio on every track. She has that Afro/Cuban background that really gets your feet tapping. Ahmad Jamal's Saturday Morning album has just been rocking me since I downloaded it last night (again, not strickly trio on every track). Also found Jacky Terrasson on Tidal last night - I will bet downloading his latest soon I think. All these players have a more "traditional" jazz sense of rhythm and speed...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

crenca,

Among the very best in the list that Musicophile shared are Mirabessi and Tingvall Trio.

Their albums have the most playtime in my setup when looking at jazz trios.

Regards.

Nikhil, I should have mentioned I have been streaming both Mirabassi and Tingvall thru Tidal, and am enjoying them immensely also. Do either of them have a high-res download out there somewhere - I am trying to stick to my "no more CDs" pledge. Shai is not high res but I downloaded him anyways because I am a screaming manly girly fan... ;)

• 7 months later...
I am not a traditional jazz guy fan but i really like the style of GoGo Pinguin and Neil Cowley Trio. Does anybody have recommendation of other trios with similar style?

thanks

Anything by Shai Maestro (3 albums out by his own "Shai Maestro Trio" and collaborative work with others) you will probably like.

I have others in mind but I will have to post them later...

Any thoughts on the new Brad Mehldau out today?

I streamed most of it on Tidal, and while it seemed well recorded it was a bit of a retread - overall quite "conservative...I suppose I am just saying it did not excite me...

• 10 months later...