IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

A quick remark: I am sure that the DSD128 files sound very good, but they are conversions of the the 24/96 WAV masters. My understanding is that SoundLiaison recorded only Impromptu in DSD (in parallel with PCM) and all other albums in PCM. Anyway, this probably does not matter in this case since DSD128 has sufficient bandwidth to capture all sonic information on the 24/96 master.

They actually run the PCM track through an analog console to record it in DSD. Seems

like a waste of time to me. Here, you can buy the studio master which is PCM and cheaper than the DSD copy. Call me crazy, but I want the studio master. I have several of their recordings. En Azul sounds sensational in 24/96 WAV. Excellent playing as well. This one is a no brainer.

This one is tricky obviously.

First of all, you can check out my 25 essential Jazz albums on my blog, it contains quite a number of trio albums, and obviously I highly recommend all of them

25 Essential Jazz Albums | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Now to the actual top 10 list, I suppose nobody would disagree that Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and Oscar Peterson belong in any TopX list of piano trios.

Beyond that, it becomes more personal. If you look through this thread collectively we've identified probably hundreds of artists, and many of these I didn't have the time to go through yet. My plan is to eventually go through all of them on my blog, but this may take some decades (not joking..).

Just follow this link to check only my blog entries on Jazz piano trios: Piano Trio | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms, and in the meantime start with Keith Jarrett and Bill Evans.

While I would agree, don't forget to add Monty Alexander, who IMHO is the best jazz piano player alive today

His music is infectious. After his live performances, the crowd leaves the club dancing. I know, I have done it myself!

I did say IMHO. Who else could weave something Like Meet The Flinstones into another jazz classic? Ever hear his Battle Hymn of the Republic? Great stuff. Also, there is Fred Hersch who is fantastic as well as well as the lesser known Christian Jacob who is better known as Tierney Sutton's piano player but who has a fine trio himself, who happen to be the rest of her band! The Live in Tokyo set they released is superb.

There are quite a few but to start out, my favorite is Montreau Alexander. It was recorded in 1977 and features Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton. IT is available on CD or vinyl. Both are a tad bright with the vinyl sounding brighter. I would grab the 30th Anniversary edition which is available as a CD rip on Qobuz. The second which gets a ton of play here is Uplift. There is an Uplift 2 as well which is quite good. As far as I know, they are only available on CD rather cheaply normally on Amazon.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...