IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

• 2 weeks later...
This is an outstanding thread. I've just discovered a ton of new music that I would never have heard of. Some outstanding pieces in here that have just been playing non-stop in my setup since I got on here a few days ago.

I couldn't agree more. I've been listening to material I discovered here all day. I landed on this thread again for more searching and it's been successful.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
What a great thread! I've been listening to Alboran Trio; it's fantastic. Only "Meltemi" is available on MOG. "Near Gale" is not. Just dropped a pretty penny at Amazon for these two CDs. Too bad a hi-res download isn't available. Musicophile, you've put me on a lot of good music that I otherwise would not have known about. Thanks!

Listening to Alboran Trio as we speak on MOG as well. Great album. Making work a lot easier!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What a great thread - I created an account here to join in.

I have many of these albums mentioned here - big fan of Marcin Wasilewski, Mehldau and others - but a lot mentioned here are new to me, so this is going to be educational (and expensive!).

I haven't seen explicit reference to the two Brad Mehldau Trio albums released recently - Ode and Where Do You Start.

Where Do You Start is mostly covers. Some old (Brownie Speaks, Airegin), some modern (Got Me Wrong by Alice In Chains, Hey Joe, and a gorgeous Holland by Sufjan Stevens) plus BM's almost obligatory Nick Drake (here it's Time Has Told Me). There's also a BM tune called Jam that's excellent. Super stuff.

Ode is all originals, and may be the better album, and that's high praise. I really think it's his best collection of original tunes yet - highly recommended. I'm seeing him in Boulder in a couple of weeks - should be great!

I also recently saw the Christian McBride Trio in Denver - McBride on bass, Ulysses Owens on drums and Christian Sands on piano. They set out deliberately to play "straight-ahead", old-school bop style - and they're fantastic live. The album is Out Here.

And finally I'd like to add Fred Simon. He plays very melodically - at the opposite end of the spectrum perhaps from some of the ECM guys' impressionism - but it's lovely stuff. On the Naim label, there's a regular trio album Dreamhouse, plus a better album (imho) is a trio of Simon on piano, Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group) on bass and Paul McCandless (Oregon) on reeds - Remember The River.

Thanks to everybody who's chipped in with suggestions, this has been great reading (and listening).

Welcome to the rabbit-hole of CA! Yes, this is a great thread.

Out Here is a blast. What a great rendition of Favorite Things..............

• 1 month later...
Hi Realhifi,

I kind of excluded Keith, Kenny and Chick from this thread in my opening, not because they are not great artists (Somewhere is just great for example), but because I wanted this to focus more on the next generation of artists that emerged in the last 15-20 years.

Thanks for sharing Eldar Djangirov. He absolutely flew under my radar so far, and I just checked out his website. I really like his new Breakthrough album. I'm also amazed that the same young guy also plays Brahms and Bach.

I'm just back from a virtual shopping trip on Qobuz:

Currently downloading are:

Hadouk Trio Live at Fip (redbook) - thanks guys for the recommendation

Jan Lundgren Trio: The Flowers Of Sendal (24/96) - the latest album of this Swedish pianist that I really liked on his solo album "Man in the Fog".

And two more earlier Triosence albums: First Enchantment and Away For A While, both redbook.

Will report back after more intensive listening sessions.

Downloaded First Enhancements earlier today. On my second listen in my office. Love the first track, "Waltz for Andrea". This one is a good find. Thank you once again.....

• 1 month later...

Indeed! I can't get enough of these guys. In fact, the title track was playing in my head was I got up this morning :)

Thank you Musicophile!

I revisited the original list on Musicophile's first post and happened to looked up Tingvall Trio!!

Absolutely great stuff. Really like their style of music ... massive images mixed with interesting contrasts in styles. Elements of Rock mixed with Jazz as well as beautifully crafted "Scandinavian" imagination.

Would like to add "Vägen" to the list compiled earlier.

Vägen | Tingvall Trio

1313404092_tingvall-trio-vagen-2011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread has opened my ears to so much good music. Thanks to all.

I just got an EST DVD earlier this week and I'm completely blown away. Those guys are so good! It's a shame I didn't know about them when he was alive. Sad, very sad.

I know the feeling. Worth every penny!

• 2 months later...
Triosence just came out with a new live album:

One Summer Night:

One Summer Night (live) 2014 | Triosence

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15040[/ATTACH]

Given how much I like this band, I just bought it blindly from Qobuz. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a high-res download available, so this is only redbook. Will report back on how much I like it.

Any comments on this? About ready to get it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Here are two that I recently discovered: Alex Mercado Trio and Dominic J Marshall.

Both are great musicians\composers.

Edit: Since you seem to like Italian musicians...two more: Cesare Picco and Gabriele Pezzoli Trio.

And I'll throw in a guy from France just for fun: Remi Panossian.

There are albums from all of them on Tidal. Now have something new to listen to tonight.

Thanks!