IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Well, it will never be one since they recorded the music 44.1/24. I got this info and a temporary link to a download 44.1/24 directly from Bernhard Schuler, the piano player from Triosence, as a courtesy.

It's all a question of definition and personal opinion, but in my view 44.1/24 qualifies as high-resolution. I have heard instances where moving from 44.1/16 to 44.1/24 makes a noticeable difference to the quality of sound.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the contributions in this great thread. It has been costing me a lot of money but also bringing me a lot of musical enjoyment. My favourite jazz trio album in recent months is Christian McBride's live at the Village Vanguard, which I find really great. On the other hand, I was not convinced by his "Out Here" studio effort.

A+ obviously does, on the fly conversion of DSD128 to PCM24/88 working smoothly.

A quick remark: I am sure that the DSD128 files sound very good, but they are conversions of the the 24/96 WAV masters. My understanding is that SoundLiaison recorded only Impromptu in DSD (in parallel with PCM) and all other albums in PCM. Anyway, this probably does not matter in this case since DSD128 has sufficient bandwidth to capture all sonic information on the 24/96 master.

• 1 month later...

Now to the actual top 10 list, I suppose nobody would disagree that Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett and Oscar Peterson belong in any TopX list of piano trios.

+1.

Beyond that, it becomes more personal.

In this context, a name that immediately springs to mind, at least mine, is Brad Mehldau.