IGNORED

Are we living in the Golden Age of the Jazz Piano Trio?

Here’s one that’s been on my list to try, but just haven’t gotten around to ordering it yet. The short samples on Amazon and allmusic.com sound well recorded. Appears to be straight ahead jazz, which is very much to my liking.

Akayo Shirasaki

- Some Other Time

Ok, just one more. I’m most familiar with Aaron Diehl from his recent quartet release ‘The Bespoke Man’s Narrative’, on which he plays a sublime rendition of Ellington’s composition, ‘Single Pedal of a Rose’ (probably one of the most beautiful pieces of music I know). However, he also has a fine trio release from 2012, which makes him eligible for this thread. I think this guy truly talented. Give a listen if you have a chance.

Aaron Diehl Trio

- Live At The Players

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Loaded up on Gerald Clayton today, thanks lfs. Funny that I have always enjoyed him with Roy Hargrove.

I'm glad you found him to your liking. His trio work is a recent and very pleasing discovery for me. And as you noted, he has done some fine work with other artists as well.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been listening to the trio work of Mulgrew Miller lately. A very talented pianist and composer. Sadly, Mr. Miller passed away two years ago from a stroke at the age of 57. He was a prolific recording artist, playing on literally hundreds albums as a sideman and as an accompanist with many big names in the jazz world. He also recorded a number of albums as leader or co-leader. I find these two albums to be most enjoyable.

mulgrew-miller-live-at-yoshi's-vol-2.jpg

Live at Yoshi's, Vol. 2 - Mulgrew Miller | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

mulgrew-miller-live-at-the-kennedy-center-vol-1.jpg

Live at the Kennedy Center - Mulgrew Miller | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic