IGNORED

dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping

This combination was recommended by Vincent I believe as well as used in this device:

http://www.ripnas.com/

You can get dbpoweramp here for $36 (includes all the goodies):

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm

and the Teac drive here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310134389867#ShippingPayment

Comparisons of the Teac to other drives:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17274

After proper set-up to do accurate-rip and setting the C2 pointers, i ripped some Led Zep tracks that I had previously ripped using a good CDROM drive and EAC.

The result: The EAC .wav rips are not even close. I thought they were good, but I was wrong. The dbpoweramp .wav rips are highly focused, with improved depth and imaging.

Well worth the less than $100 investment. Best tweak I have done in years. The Teac rips at 10-12X too, so its fast and accurate.

I have customers doing this on a PC and then moving the .wav files to Mac. Its that much better than any other ripper I have tried.

Kudos to Vincent (Amarra) and customer Bill for this tip.

Steve N.

I understand that the quality of the music would be affected by jitter, by cables, by hard vs ss drive, by format, by poor error correction on the rip, etc. But if EAC is doing a bit-perfect rip (Berkeley HDCD lights up) then why the heck would DBPoweramp pro (great converter BTW) w/ Teac CDROM rips result in better depth and imaging? What is your theoretical explanation (assuming EAC got all the bits)? I'm all ears.. :)

Ted

Steve ...

Are you saying that with two different rippers (assuming accurate rip is achieved) will give files who's contents are different?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Are you saying about bailing because someone suggested that there was differences in rippers, or because I showed scepticism?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

let us know, from your customers who use dbpoweramp to rip wav and how do they transfere to the Mac ?

Do they convert the wav files to AIFF, if yes what convertion software do they use ?

Or do they play the wav files directly in itunes ?

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE

I have been re ripping some cd and I agree that we have a slight improvement in sound wit db. One possible reason for this improvement is error correction. My eac seems to like to error correct and db does not for the same title. Not sure why, just an observation. eac seems to due a better job of finding the tag information, but its not a big deal. I also used the c2 markers with db and was able to rip a scratched cd. The recovered cd did not sound all that great, but at least I have the title.

I think I will keep using db for sound quality and keep the eac for backup issues!

regards

JR

correction set up equivalently or your comparisons are apples vs oranges. EAC will error correct, or will not, depending on many flexible settings, and your CDROM's abilities..same as DBP. IOW, I suspect your EAC is set wrong visa vi your DBP. Your tagging comments are interesting in that, although I've not had EAC miss a tag, it is pretty well known that DBPoweramp has earned a solid reputation for tagging (and converting).

"let us know, from your customers who use dbpoweramp to rip wav and how do they transfere to the Mac ?

Usually, they have two partitions on the Mac, one for Vista and one for OSX.

"Do they convert the wav files to AIFF, if yes what convertion software do they use ?"

Typically, they convert to AIFF on Mac and they are able to pass the tags into iTunes.

"Or do they play the wav files directly in itunes ?"

They play with iTunes, either AIFF or .wav.

Steve N.

it seems that you can only set error quality, but you cant turn it off. Please let me know otherwise, so I can turn it off. I did notice that it would due this either at the beginning or at the end of the tracks.

Let me clarify eac has not missed finding tags, but db has. Also, I like the tagger for db better as it also finds the image and places a copy in the directory. It was either kent poons jazz prologue #1 or #2 that db could not find the information on. Actually, it found a few things, but did not find the track titles or the cover art....its not a big deal. Also, accurate rip thing did not have another rip to compare it with It does now though...hehehe.

thanks

JR

Are you saying that two different ripping software produce different files, of that the files are checksum identical but somehow sound different on playback?

Eloise, unofficial forum skeptic.

Eloise

---

Asylum?

I have a notice on my front door as I go out "welcome to the asylum" is this the asylum you mean? Or is that Arkham Asylum.

Surely if the checksum is different then the rip was bad on one or the other? Or is it the header that's different?

Eloise ... Still a sceptic.

Eloise

---

Guys, nothing is perfect because its designed by humans!

He with one thermostat knows the temperature he with two not sure!!

Ok, seriously....I didn't look at the totals, because I don't care! I am doing the best I can with what I have and it is what it is.

I am more concerned with jitter and avoiding anything lossy compressed to be honest.

RE

jr

Not sure if any point was being made, however please don't treat us as idiots Steve that you post on here, and other forums, out the goodness of your heart. You and your products get great exposure to enthusiastic audiophiles through your posts on forums.

Don't get me wrong what you say has interest to me, but I don't think it's all one way for you.

Eloise ... cynical as well as sceptical

Eloise

---

about checksums. ?? Why the harshness, Steve. Heck, I was defending you and simply saying that some of the addtl info was on the larger Asylum thread (which required another reply when she didn't know what "Asylum" meant).

Ted

"Don't get me wrong what you say has interest to me, but I don't think it's all one way for you. "

As far as I can tell we ALL have something to gain here!

Also, are those the chinese B&W CDMs you keep advertising at the bottom of all your posts ;)

re

jr

1. Fine if you think my comment to Steve was rude - though why YOU need to defer him I don't know. [edit: if you really think it was inappropriate then report to Chris for him to deal with]

2. No the CDM NT series were never built in China. Though individual components of them maybe I don't know. As far as I know only the new B&W 600 series as Chineese built. But then so is most pro-audio so what's your point?

I'm not "advertising" or showing off my system. I'm trying to give people a point of reference for my comment a which are mostly subjective.

Eloise.

Eloise

---

I have nothing to report Chris....its all good! I like having the manus on board thats all. FYI I have sent him e-mails and he is very helpful and I don't even own his products.

I was just pulling your chain about the speakers.

ps I am not saying I care, but advertising/showing off its still a plug. You plug, he plugs, everybody plugs, heck Chris plugs just look around.....so lets keep plugging!

JR

"Curious...

Are you saying about bailing because someone suggested that there was differences in rippers, or because I showed scepticism?

Eloise"

I guess I'm in your camp. This claim mocks good engineering.

There are overwhelming empirical proof that iTunes ripper with error-correction is bit-perfect.

OK, iTunes doesn't give you feedback so you are not 100 percent sure.

So people use EAC which uses AccurateRip to check an online checksum database, and this gives peace of mind to some audiophiles.

Now dbpoweramp which is also based on AccurateRip and therfore generate the same bit-perfect files, gives you superior sound.

So one implementation of AccurateRip vs another implementation of AccurateRip, both giving you bit-perfect files sound different?

www.hifiduino.wordpress.com

Update:

I have sent two files, one ripped with EAC and one ripped with dbpoweramp, to an engineer on Asylum.

His analysis so far shows that the data fields are identical, but the headers are different.

More to come later....

Steve N.