IGNORED

MacBook question

I am planning to move from a PC based to a MacBook. My main reason is that I like iTunes better than other players I have tried, its much easier. Since I am making a change, I am motivated to be 24/192 capable, is that possible with MacBook?

The MacBook's optical output is capable of 192/24 ... but currently it's not supported in MacOS old by the driver used by Windows when using Bootcamp.

You can do 192/24 with a FireWire interface / DAC such as FireFace400 or Weiss Vesta (other interfaces are available).

Or long term I suspect that SnowLeopard may support the optical port at 192/24 ... but thats a wait and see.

Hope I got the facts right - if not sure someone will jump on me.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes of course ... forgot the new MacBooks don't have Firewire ... from what I've read ... the E-MU 0404 only does 16/44.1 (standard CD quality) on the Mac.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Or you could do what I did last Christmas - I bought two of the later model MacBook Pro's with Firewire 400 and 800 ports. Planning in advance of knowing I'd most likely want two Firewire ports.

Dennis L. Jacob[br]Pass Labs X0.2, Pass Labs active XO, The Apogee ribbon speakers, Ayre and Palladium amps, Cardas Golden Reference cables, Sony R1 DAC and Transport, Sony XA777ES SACD, Weiss DAC 2, Basis Gold Debut Reference Vacuum, Graham and Dynavector through Pass Labs XOno phono stage with many BPT Balanced AC power conditioners.[br]

Yes there are many options to get 24/192, FW Weiss DAC 2, or others as listed above.

The main question is, do you need 24/192 ?

How much software is available you like at the 24/192?

Check this before you limit yourself in your choises.

In my mind this 24/192 is over hyped in this forum.

I do have lots of material at 16/44 which is better music (and sometimes sounds better) than 24/96 songs.

The recording equipement (mic, micamp, etc) for most recordings could be improved a lot.

Just my 3 cents.

BTW, I use MacBookPro with toslink at 24/96 to my DAC.

But for my 16/44 music most times I prefere the sound at unchanged (not upsampled to 24/96) rate.

Best....EMW
Audirvana Plus ->15"MBP 16GB 1TB SSD -> USB-> Intona USB Isolator -> USB -> Chord DAC ->Borbely Balanced Preamp->Active X-over-> 4 Class A Monoamps->3 Way SpeakerHeavens SE

It looks like MacBook (without the metal case) is still available with FW400, and also MacMini has FW800.

emw- No I don't really need 24/192. I don't have it now, but since I am updating I figure why not. Most of the newer DACs seem to have that feature anyways. Also, I'm not looking at upsampling. I wan't to be able to play my music in native resolution.

Thanks- digipix