IGNORED

Uh oh, I beat my SD card trick; Bypass your Ethernet switch, and make your external drives sound close to RAM disk using an Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet Adaptor and a second network connection.

Alex C.

Have you any thoughts on why the BlueJeans/Belden Cat6a sounded better?

I don't doubt that your findings were correct.

Alex K

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Alex C.

I don't doubt that your findings were correct.

Alex K

Alex's finding might be different, but from my testing it was 3 main things:

1. Construction quality, especially at the connector ends

2. Gauge - quite often this is either not provided or frankly dishonest since there is no oversight or penalty

3. Shielding

1. Construction quality, especially at the connector ends

Hi Tranz

That point rang a bell with me, as I like to rip music with the patch lead from the PC to the Broadband Modem unplugged.

Sometimes it can be very difficult getting the damn thing working again, despite numerous power refreshes of the modem as per fault finding recommendations.

I was really close to tearing out my remaining hair yesterday after doing this over a period of a couple of hours.

Eventually, with the 2nd cable tried, it worked again for a few minutes, then the connection was lost.

In desperation I then tried a 3rd (and last) patch cable and it came up straight away and has been rock solid since.

My Optus home page also appears to be coming up more quickly since then.

Perhaps I should get a new spare 1M long patch cable ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Alex C.

Alex K

Well, there are two particularly interesting technical features of the Belden 10GX-series cable that BlueJeans uses for their Cat6 (unshielded) and Cat6a (shielded). One is the bonded-pair wires, the other is a method of creating a conductor lay--using an extra filler cord--the helps randomize crosstalk. I extracted 2 pages from different Belden docs which illustrate and discuss these techniques:

Belden 10GX.jpg

Belden 10GX2.jpg

These wire companies are not investing the money creating these cables based on whims or speculative science. They are pushing the envelope of measurable speed and performance. As for why the byproduct is audibly better SQ on a 25-ft. computer-to-computer run for realtime music data streaming is beyond me. But compared with 4 other brand new cables I put it up against (one of the worst was even supposedly Cat7--though no such standard exists--but I think it used copper-clad aluminum wire), it was easy to tell how much better the BlueJeans/Belden was.

BTW, months ago I also bought a 25-ft. BlueJeans/Belden Cat6 (unshielded) to compare against the shielded one, but have been too busy to try it (apologies to Cornell77 and others who have been waiting to for me to report on that comparison).

Alex C.

Alex C

Thanks for the reply.

Let's hope that copper clad aluminium wire doesn't become more common too!

Alex K.

• 4 years later...